IGNORED

Pole Position II for Atari 7800 - Playing on 2600+

Axum

Hello!

So, I'm playing this game on the 2600+, using a Mega7800 and a Sega Genesis (6 button) controller.  I can't select either of the two tracks on the left part of the screen, but the right side is selectable.  The game plays fine otherwise.  Anyone else experiencing this?

Thanks!
Ax

57 minutes ago, scifidude79 said:

I had this issue. I finally tried switches on the console and I found that the Game Select switch cycles through all four tracks.

Thanks, I'll give this a try and report back. Wondering why I didn't think of this?! :dunce:

• 2 weeks later...

I can not accelerate, the car does not move with the CX joystick, in the instructions Fire 2 is Accelerator and Fire 1 is Brake...?

There is no second fire button.

A db9 port has 9 pins, 4 for direction and 1 for the fire button plus ground so 3 more pins for other buttons so you could of added another button, like on the Sega Master System Dpad, it uses direct lines to its pad so does not use a chip inside it, it has 2 fire buttons on it, might be a good idea buying one, it should work with this game and the Atari2600+.

Edited by Spanner

1 minute ago, Spanner said:

I can not accelerate, the car does not move with the CX joystick, in the instructions Fire 2 is Accelerator and Fire 1 is Brake...?

There is no second fire button.

It sounds like you're still using the original firmware. You won't be able to brake with the one button stick, but you can at least give it gas if you upgrade the firmware. The original firmware had flip-flopped 7800 buttons. It was really silly.

• Like 1

I can not flash it, the RKDevTool_Release_v2.74 does not see the Atari2600+, it acting like it does not have enough amps so not enough power from my PC, I managed to flash the dumper by adding a A to A USB Cable to a USB 4 port hub and then connected to the second USB Port on the main board so it had 2 USB A port connected to my PC, it was a fluke, I thought to try it because nothing else worked and it did work, it was not seeing it before or it was but then the app became not responding, I think its a power problem and I can not make the RKDevTool_Release_v2.74 app see the Atari2600+, the dumper was a trial and error, to see if it work or not and it did, its easy fixable if Ben shears the files in the firmware update then I can copy over them manually, I would need the dmenu.bin, and retroarch and its cores if they have been updated, I do not see Buildroot been updated, all the matters is the apps that get carts to load on the Atari2600+, like on a RGL machines, they never update bulidroot, only update the carousel because its the thing that runs the games.

Edited by Spanner

57 minutes ago, Major Havoc 2049 said:

The main issue is that Pole Position II requires a two button 7800 joystick or joypad to fully play the game. If you want to fully enjoy the 7800 library, you'll need a two button controller. 

This. PPII uses the two button controls for accelerate and brake. Even if you could accelerate with the CX-40+ (which you can with the 1.1 firmware) you couldn't brake, which makes taking some of those turns very tricky. As with most arcade racing games, PPII requires strategic use of the brake to navigate the tracks.

• Like 2

They could make a 2 button version of the CX40 joystick the second button could be on the front left just under the fire button so like its a left shoulder button and could be hidden like RGL THE400 CX40 joystick so you do not see it.

10 hours ago, Spanner said:

They could make a 2 button version of the CX40 joystick the second button could be on the front left just under the fire button so like its a left shoulder button and could be hidden like RGL THE400 CX40 joystick so you do not see it.

Don't look now, but they just announced a two button gamepad based on the old Euro 7800 pad.

• Like 1

Has anyone tried a Master System Game Dpad with this game or the Atari2600+...?
I do not own the game but got the game working on my PCUAE Atari2600+ USB Rom Loader... :) so it works the same, I would like to get the CX78+ Gamepad but do not know when it will be available on Amazon UK, I do wish Atari had a website in Europe, you think they would when there HQ is in France.

Edited by Spanner