IGNORED

PGram+ Card --- Loading up the DSR

1 hour ago, Gary from OPA said:

Once I complete the new DSR and hardware changes then I going to layout a new board as well, work with Jim on it if need be as he been looking at re releasing the pgram card as new hardware item.

Working with me on that one would be a must, as I am the current holder of the rights to the board. I will gladly integrate updates into the board, once I know what needs to be done there. Some of your suggested changes may require some serious trace rerouting, as the space immediately around the RAM chips is mighty tight already. Those changes will have to be done carefully so as not to introduce additional timing issues.

Considering the number of proposed changes, we could always just call it the P-GRAM2

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Ksarul said:

Working with me on that one would be a must, as I am the current holder of the rights to the board. I will gladly integrate updates into the board, once I know what needs to be done there. Some of your suggested changes may require some serious trace rerouting, as the space immediately around the RAM chips is mighty tight already. Those changes will have to be done carefully so as not to introduce additional timing issues.

Considering the number of proposed changes, we could always just call it the P-GRAM2

Yes. I know you have the rights. So anything I do with it will go through you. First I want to get a working prototype running on existing board and fix the timing issues when used in max. out system like I have.

PGram2 or SPGram is good names.

Yes, routing is right, at least the 512k chips are the same size as the 128k, so it's just making the other two sockets 32 pin as well. And at most adding one more 74 chip.

Once I get a working prototype and matching DSR then I will draw up the schematic changes.

Idea also is to keep it still downward compatible for those wishing to only instead 128k or 32k chips.

• Like 2

@mizapf   trying to config a pgram based config file.

mame -window -oslog ti99_4ev -peb:slot2 evpc -peb:slot3 pgram+ -peb:slot6 tirs232 -peb:slot8 bwg -flop1 Pgram_Utilities.dsk

>Error: unknown option: -peb:slot2

Also, I pulled down,  https://ftp.whtech.com/#System ROMs%2FMAME
ti99_complete.zip - I don't see pgram DSR?  --- Does that need to be loaded from the PGRAM DSR DSK?

Closer, looks like a new syntax:

mame -window -oslog ti99_4ev -ioport:peb:slot2 evpc -ioport:peb:slot3 pgram -ioport:peb:slot6 tirs232 -ioport:peb:slot8 bwg -flop1 Pgram_Utilities.dsk -cartridge editass

It doesn't like being passed pgram+ ?

Also, can't find, phm3055g3.bin -- searched on ftp.whtech.com - not found as a single file.   .. Where is best source?

11 hours ago, dhe said:

Also, can't find, phm3055g3.bin -- searched on ftp.whtech.com - not found as a single file.   .. Where is best source?

PHM3055 is Editor/Assembler. Look out for "editass.zip" (this is what you specified after -cart, plus the ".zip" suffix).

You obviously did not install the ZIP cartridges in your path. Please download them from WHTech (/Cartridges/MAME/zip/*.zip or /Cartridges/MAME/all_carts.zip) and drop them in a subdirectory of your MAME installation. This can be "roms", where your system ROMs are located, or you create a new directory (e.g. cartroms) and put that in the "rompath" (separated by semicolons) in mame.ini.

Do not unzip the cartridge zips, only the all_carts.zip.

11 hours ago, dhe said:

Closer, looks like a new syntax:

mame -window -oslog ti99_4ev -ioport:peb:slot2 evpc -ioport:peb:slot3 pgram -ioport:peb:slot6 tirs232 -ioport:peb:slot8 bwg -flop1 Pgram_Utilities.dsk -cartridge editass

You mean the "ioport" path element? Not really new, I introduced it in 0.186 (year 2017): https://www.ninermame.org/info/impchange

This is only needed for the TI-99/4A emulation, since the Geneve does not have an I/O port, neither does the SGCPU (TI-99/4P) or the TI-99/2.

11 hours ago, dhe said:

It doesn't like being passed pgram+ ?

No, the name of the card is "pgram". Check the configuration menu to select between the smaller or bigger one (which is the + version).

• Thanks 2

This seems to be working for me.
mame -window -oslog -rompath roms;ti99_cart ti99_4ev -ioport:peb:slot2 evpc -ioport:peb:slot3 pgram -ioport:peb:slot4 samsmem -ioport:peb:slot6 tirs232 -ioport:peb:slot8 bwg -flop1 Pgram_Utilities.dsk -cartridge editass

I sent along a zip to @Gary from OPA so that he can test when he has a chance.

Where do I configure PGram vs PGram+ ?

36 minutes ago, dhe said:

Where do I configure PGram vs PGram+ ?

Run MAME, open the OSD menu, select "Machine configuration". Somewhere on the opened list you should find "PGRAM(+) card" and its option "Memory size".

• Thanks 1

Got it!

image.thumb.png.526aecbe34c1c1f2279584f3cce1b7ef.png

@Gary from OPA  - since you have an eye towards having this card made better, stronger, faster - do you have any interest in "porting" your horizon ramdisk test and configuration utilities to the pgram?

I think after years of the ROS 8.14f package being the standard, I forgot how simple earlier efforts were....

1 minute ago, dhe said:

Got it!

image.thumb.png.526aecbe34c1c1f2279584f3cce1b7ef.png

@Gary from OPA  - since you have an eye towards having this card made better, stronger, faster - do you have any interest in "porting" your horizon ramdisk test and configuration utilities to the pgram?

I think after years of the ROS 8.14f package being the standard, I forgot how simple earlier efforts were....

The pgram utilities are not too bad, I will be updating them a bit when it comes to loading the new DSR for it and how it operates. For loading of cartridges, etc. the existing software is not bad, what is missing when you have alot of memory is more graphical display of what is loaded where, with 4 banks not too hard to remember but when you have 16 banks of gram, there needs to be a better display so the user can know what is what when at the cartridge module loading screen.

Good evening,
I took out my Pgram+ card, no problem loading the DSR. I would like to know if there are any incompatibilities with the CC9900 floppy card and Dos Millers Graphics I load well in the Groms and when rebooting screen freeze, how do I know the files that are present in the Pgram.
Jl
The regulator goes up to 55 degrees Celsius in use, which is really a lot.

Bonsoir,

J'ai sortie ma carte Pgram+ aucun soucis pour le chargement de la dsr.

J'aimerais savoir si il y à des incompatibilités avec la carte floppy CC9900 et Dos Millers Graphics

je charge bien dans les Groms et au reboot écran bloquer, comment savoir les fichier qui sont présent dans la Pgram.

Le régulateur monte à 55 degrés celius  en utilisation cela fait vraiment beaucoup.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, humeur said:
Good evening,
I took out my Pgram+ card, no problem loading the DSR. I would like to know if there are any incompatibilities with the CC9900 floppy card and Dos Millers Graphics I load well in the Groms and when rebooting screen freeze, how do I know the files that are present in the Pgram.
Jl
The regulator goes up to 55 degrees Celsius in use, which is really a lot.

Bonsoir,

J'ai sortie ma carte Pgram+ aucun soucis pour le chargement de la dsr.

J'aimerais savoir si il y à des incompatibilités avec la carte floppy CC9900 et Dos Millers Graphics

je charge bien dans les Groms et au reboot écran bloquer, comment savoir les fichier qui sont présent dans la Pgram.

Le régulateur monte à 55 degrés celius  en utilisation cela fait vraiment beaucoup.

Best to run the PGTEST to make sure the memory is operational fully.

Then just load the DSR and and from ti basic run call pgzap and then call pmenu and try just one module first like original extended basic and see if there is no lockups.

There should be no issues with the Corcomp controller as long as the pgram is at 1700. I only currently have myarc controllers myself.

Also are you using any type of boot up menu like on a horizon, certain older versions of MENU are not pgram compatible also, causing a lockup.

Edited by Gary from OPA

20 minutes ago, dhe said:

@humeur  - I know on high heat units like the Geneve and HFDC, some folks have replaced the normal regulators with DC-DC Converters.

Is that and option in this application?

In my opinion yes it would be necessary to replace the 7805 either not a TO3 model or the new type of DC-DC converters which sometimes can create parasites, 55 is really a lot plus the temperature protection system no longer works because there is has a diode between the regulator and GND, a hack that allows you to change the output voltage

De mon avis oui il faudrait remplacer le 7805 soit pas un modèle TO3 ou les nouveaux type de dc-dc converters  qui parfois peuvent crée des parasites, 55 c'est vraiment beaucoup en plus le systeme de protection en température ne fonctionne plus car il y a une diode entre le régulateur et GND, bidouille qui permet de changer la tension de sortie

IMG20240811222245.jpg

Edited by humeur

6 minutes ago, dhe said:

Do we have schematics for the PGRAM?

Anyone else want to weight in on what might be a good replacement for the voltage regulators in use?

Le schéma est dans le manuel de construction disponible sur le serveur

Le schéma est dans le manuel de construction disponible sur le serveur https://ftp.whtech.com/datasheets and manuals/Hardware/Horizon - Bud Mills Services/pgram+ operating & construction guide.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dhe said:

Do we have schematics for the PGRAM?

Anyone else want to weight in on what might be a good replacement for the voltage regulators in use?

attached is the original manual, another pdf with a bit more details, and the updated easier to read schematics made by @Ksarul

pgram+ operating & construction guide.pdf More_on_the_PGRAM_Card_TI994a.pdf A3-P-GRAM-P1.pdf

• Like 3

Well this card is really starting to bother me, all the tests are good, everything loads without problems, on reboot without blue screen module and nothing crashes

Bon cette carte commence réellement à me casser les pieds, tous les tests sont bons, tout se charge sans soucis, au reboot sans module écran bleu et rien planter

48 minutes ago, humeur said:

Well this card is really starting to bother me, all the tests are good, everything loads without problems, on reboot without blue screen module and nothing crashes

Bon cette carte commence réellement à me casser les pieds, tous les tests sont bons, tout se charge sans soucis, au reboot sans module écran bleu et rien planter

Translation seems off. Are you saying without a module it crashes on a blue screen? Do you have a screenshot? What happens when you plug in a physical cartridge? It should automatically turn off the P-GRAM. What happens if you hold the hotkeys A with Z down on power-up?

Yes crashes on blue screen

when there is a module the P-GRAM leaves control to the module turn off the P-GRAM

hotkeys   notest.

hotkeys test AZ same CALL PG  screen P-Box Gram Emulator

I understand that you too are struggling with your card

Edited by humeur

2 hours ago, humeur said:

Yes crashes on blue screen

when there is a module the P-GRAM leaves control to the module turn off the P-GRAM

hotkeys   notest.

hotkeys test AZ same CALL PG  screen P-Box Gram Emulator

I understand that you too are struggling with your card

what other cards you have in your PEB, you mentioned a corcomp floppy, what are you using for 32k and other cards, do you have horizon? -- what CRU your pgram is at?

My issue is not blue screen, it works perfectly as long as I only using a single PEB, not two PEB's joined together, and still no blue screen, just weird data read issues with it not displaying the module names correctly on the screen after the title screen, due to the timing of having two PEB's.

• Like 1

Summary: the load module is in P-Gram memory at boot, the card starts flashing and the screen turns blue

Corcomp 9900 disk, 32 k TI

Bilan le module charge est bien en mémoire P-Gram au boot la carte se met a clignoter et écran devient bleu

Edited by humeur

1 hour ago, humeur said:

Good try in P-Gram only and not P-Gram+ it works.

Bon essai en P-Gram seulement et pas P-Gram+   cela fonctionne.

Are you saying that the mode works?

Do you have a picture of the card?

The switch should be in P-GRAM mode only if the left most RAM is 32k and the middle RAM is only 8k.

If the left RAM is 128k and the middle RAM 32k then the switch must be in pgram+ position.

Also the DSR you are loading must be the compatible version pgram2k or the Y2K fixed version.

• Like 1