IGNORED

Have You Earned Your Activision Patch Today? (2600+ Edition)

Major Havoc 2049

14 minutes ago, ChopperCommando said:

I think it's weird how some of the scores required to get a patch are super easy to get and some are super hard.  It's like they just had some intern who had no idea how to play video games just randomly pick numbers.

Oh, especially if you have a particular quest to someday earn them all, lol!

I've earned even MOST of them(all on vid, btw, always), but some...phew.

Beamrider-I should be able to get.

Laser Blast, 1,000,000-Way too lazy for that.

Private Eye, case 3-Haven't even tried it.

Robot Tank, 60/72-Nope. Not gonna happen.

Space Shuttle-Not willing to put in the time, Man. Again, Lazy.

Starmaster, Game 4-Prolly can, but haven't. Mebbe someday.

Tennis-No, thanks. I'm sure that's earnable first time one tries it.

Other than that, all are pretty doable-

Crackpots is tough, gotta use a Trackball on Decathlon, Enduro and Frostbite were pretty tough for me.

Not trying to bully my way into this thread too much, but if I don't know how to do extremely well on one of these games I know someone or another who does, I don't mind to help with strategy, here or in PM!

I collect almost everything, but my Activision CIB's and patches are really my pride and joy, is why I'm so enthusiastic about this thread, me not even having a + and all.

:D

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Rogerpoco said:

Oh, especially if you have a particular quest to someday earn them all, lol!

I've earned even MOST of them(all on vid, btw, always), but some...phew.

Beamrider-I should be able to get.

Laser Blast, 1,000,000-Way too lazy for that.

Private Eye, case 3-Haven't even tried it.

Robot Tank, 60/72-Nope. Not gonna happen.

Space Shuttle-Not willing to put in the time, Man. Again, Lazy.

Starmaster, Game 4-Prolly can, but haven't. Mebbe someday.

Tennis-No, thanks. I'm sure that's earnable first time one tries it.

Other than that, all are pretty doable-

Crackpots is tough, gotta use a Trackball on Decathlon, Enduro and Frostbite were pretty tough for me.

Not trying to bully my way into this thread too much, but if I don't know how to do extremely well on one of these games I know someone or another who does, I don't mind to help with strategy, here or in PM!

I collect almost everything, but my Activision CIB's and patches are really my pride and joy, is why I'm so enthusiastic about this thread, me not even having a + and all.

Any pics of your collection?   Are these patches you collected back in the 80's or more recently? 

I remember getting the Pitfall, Pitfall 2, HERO, Enduro and all three Decathlon patches back in the day.  For the Gold patch in Decathlon I did use the Pole Vault glitch to boost my score.  Being a kid, I ironed my patches onto a jeans jacket I had, which I eventually outgrew and discarded. 😔

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Major Havoc 2049 said:

Any pics of your collection?   Are these patches you collected back in the 80's or more recently? 

I remember getting the Pitfall, Pitfall 2, HERO, Enduro and all three Decathlon patches back in the day.  For the Gold patch in Decathlon I did use the Pole Vault glitch to boost my score.  Being a kid, I ironed my patches onto a jeans jacket I had, which I eventually outgrew and discarded. 😔

Actually only started collecting them about 5 years ago.

Late bloomer to Atari, ha, I'm 50 but didn't really play it much as a kid.

Old pics, will have to do!

Beamrider Crescent, Private Eye, and HERO are repros, BTW!

Patches1222.jpg

ACT2.jpg

Edited by Rogerpoco
  • Like 5

14 minutes ago, Rogerpoco said:

Avtually only started collecting them about 5 years ago.

Patches1222.jpg

ACT2.jpg

Very cool!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rogerpoco said:

Actually only started collecting them about 5 years ago.

Patches1222.jpg

ACT2.jpg

Awesome collection!  I like how they made the Stampede patch look like a belt buckle.🤣 The only patches I have, that I see in your Pic, are the Atari Jaguar patches, that I got when I bought the rotary controller. 

My collection consists of about 25 loose carts and a CIB copy of Decathlon.  I acquired them all back in the mid-9O's, with a handful of trips to a few local thrift shops. So while it isn't that great, it wasn't that much effort and only cost me probably like $30 - $35.

EW6YcCe.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Major Havoc 2049 said:

Awesome collection!  I like how they made the Stampede patch look like a belt buckle.🤣 The only patches I have, that I see in your Pic, are the Atari Jaguar patches, that I got when I bought the rotary controller. 

My collection consists of about 25 loose carts and a CIB copy of Decathlon.  I acquired them all back in the mid-9O's, with a handful of trips to a few local thrift shops. So while it isn't that great, it wasn't that much effort and only cost me probably like $30 - $35.

EW6YcCe.jpeg

Very nice!

A lot of mine started incidentally, random collecting as much as I could when I got started, developed a passion for Activision, realized I had enough stuff for a "starter set" already, haha!

Word got out, actually a good friend here that I know from elsewhere, @ZilchSr, sent me just enough stuff(a lot), to where I kinda had to try to see it thru.

I'm TERRIBLE at "making money", I tend to just kinda...give stuff away, but with the Activision stuff I just kinda know I eventually want it all, so I don't really target any one thing, I just kinda keep my eyes open for the right opportunity, even schmooze some-I'm actually vested enough in my interest in the patches that "Did you earn that yourself" is a standard question to a seller, haha!

Unfortunately, tho they are certainly prizes, the prices on many of the patches has been almost arbitrarily high of late and some sellers think those are realistic prices, so finding a "fair seller" is getting tougher and tougher.

Ha, I had two of those Stampede belt buckles, and sent one of them to @OldManG a while back, I think he wears it around town(I'm teasing...).

I was a very, VERY minor partner with dude that made those Jag patches-I actually have a few doubles of some of the "modern" patches you see in the pic, not trying to shill but HMU if you want, or anyone, I just kinda "have them", haha, am not hanging on to them for investment purposes.

If you like Decathlon-

Get a CX22, Man. Just do it.

Ya, it kinda craps on the spirit of the game. Running is easier. Running "perfectly" is NOT automatic tho.

Basically, the game changes more to hitting your marks for amazing throws/runs, etc, instead of beating the hell out of yourself for middling scores.

I'm...the actual W/R holder on Decathlon, not just "one place", "everywhere", BTW, at least, on video...kinda bragging...

(Anything resembling me bragging is just me being a hamstick, even I don't take myself seriously...).

Ya, my patch scores are funny tho-

If it's timed, I prolly have pixel perfect.

If something is shooting at me, I prolly barely, BARELY squeaked out a patch...

:P

Edited by Rogerpoco
  • Like 4

On 1/24/2024 at 9:31 AM, Rogerpoco said:

Very nice!

A lot of mine started incidentally, random collecting as much as I could when I got started, developed a passion for Activision, realized I had enough stuff for a "starter set" already, haha!

Word got out, actually a good friend here that I know from elsewhere, @ZilchSr, sent me just enough stuff(a lot), to where I kinda had to try to see it thru.

I'm TERRIBLE at "making money", I tend to just kinda...give stuff away, but with the Activision stuff I just kinda know I eventually want it all, so I don't really target any one thing, I just kinda keep my eyes open for the right opportunity, even schmooze some-I'm actually vested enough in my interest in the patches that "Did you earn that yourself" is a standard question to a seller, haha!

Unfortunately, tho they are certainly prizes, the prices on many of the patches has been almost arbitrarily high of late and some sellers think those are realistic prices, so finding a "fair seller" is getting tougher and tougher.

Ha, I had two of those Stampede belt buckles, and sent one of them to @OldManG a while back, I think he wears it around town(I'm teasing...).

I was a very, VERY minor partner with dude that made those Jag patches-I actually have a few doubles of some of the "modern" patches you see in the pic, not trying to shill but HMU if you want, or anyone, I just kinda "have them", haha, am not hanging on to them for investment purposes.

If you like Decathlon-

Get a CX22, Man. Just do it.

Ya, it kinda craps on the spirit of the game. Running is easier. Running "perfectly" is NOT automatic tho.

Basically, the game changes more to hitting your marks for amazing throws/runs, etc, instead of beating the hell out of yourself for middling scores.

I'm...the actual W/R holder on Decathlon, not just "one place", "everywhere", BTW, at least, on video...kinda bragging...

(Anything resembling me bragging is just me being a hamstick, even I don't take myself seriously...).

Ya, my patch scores are funny tho-

If it's timed, I prolly have pixel perfect.

If something is shooting at me, I prolly barely, BARELY squeaked out a patch...

I already have a CX-22 and have played Decathlon using it, but that was many moons ago. I'm a hardcore Atarian, but my collecting and playtime has been focused on the Atari 8-bit, ST, Lynx and Jaguar for a long time. The 2600+ has been a breath of fresh air and got me to circle back to my rarely used 2600/7800 collection and start collecting again.  I've played more 2600/7800 games over the last month than I have the last decade.😅 Here is my complete Atari 8-bit Trak-Ball collection:

mUWYv8A.jpeg

I'm no world record holder, but I used to be pretty good at Activision games. I've completed Pitfall in the past, but just short of a 114k perfect score (damn logs). I've completed and got a perfect score of 199k in Pitfall II (no logs 😉). I used to be really good at HERO, River Raid, Chopper Command and Decathlon. 

The 2600+ adds a slight wrinkle to high level 2600/7800 play though. Since you are a high level Activision gamer, you would notice it right away as well.  There is a very small amont of lag and the diagonals are slightly more challenging with the 2600+ joystick.  Obviously, everything is just a hair off from playing on OG hardware and on a CRT. It's why I started this thread, for the added challenge that the 2600+ brings to the mix. 😋

High level play is still obtainable on the 2600+, but I feel it requires a slight relearning of past muscle memory, as you need just a slight more amount of anticipation in your joystick movements and button presses. 

Anyways, I just earned the HERO patch! 

uqdKvkz.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Major Havoc 2049 said:

I already have a CX-22 and have played Decathlon using it, but that was many moons ago. I'm a hardcore Atarian, but my collecting and playtime has been focused on the Atari 8-bit, ST, Lynx and Jaguar for a long time. The 2600+ has been a breath of fresh air and got me to circle back to my rarely used 2600/7800 collection and start collecting again.  I've played more 2600/7800 games over the last month than I have the last decade.😅 Here is my complete Atari 8-bit Trak-Ball collection:

mUWYv8A.jpeg

I'm no world record holder, but I used to be pretty good at Activision games. I've completed Pitfall in the past, but just short of a 114k perfect score (damn logs). I've completed and got a perfect score of 199k in Pitfall II (no logs 😉). I used to be really good at HERO, River Raid, Chopper Command and Decathlon. 

The 2600+ adds a slight wrinkle to high level 2600/7800 play though. Since you are a high level Activision gamer, you would notice it right away as well.  There is a very small amont of lag and the diagonals are slightly more challenging with the 2600+ joystick.  Obviously, everything is just a hair off from playing on OG hardware and on a CRT. It's why I started this thread, for the added challenge that the 2600+ brings to the mix. 😋

High level play is still obtainable on the 2600+, but I feel it requires a slight relearning of past muscle memory, as you need just a slight more amount of anticipation in your joystick movements and button presses. 

Anyways, I just earned the HERO patch! 

uqdKvkz.jpeg

VERY Nice!!!

I'm newish to the Atari 8 bits, have a nice 600XL, I love it!

Our Pitfall skills sound similar, haha, same story, finished both, but the perfect on Pitfall 1 is beyond my patience!

River Raid, Chopper Command-stuff is shooting at me, and I get scared I guess, am terrible at those.

Actually, I'm already somewhat familiar with what you are saying, the differences-

Where I play, we also track Emulation, using Stella, which is what drives the +.

It ain't the same.

Way, WAY better than any flashback that was ever made, but still, like you said, when you are doing something that requires pixel perfection, say, Skiing, you can really, really tell the difference.

I can usually adapt to EMU decently well, but I boxed up the flashbacks long ago.

Haha-please don't take my "ego" the wrong way. I'm really good at the things I'm good at, but I'm also really, REALLY bad at the things I'm bad at., my "Space Invaders" skills are borderline embarassing.

That tops my best HERO score too.

• Like 2