IGNORED

Super Mario Bros. Prototype?

Does anybody know anything about the prototype release of the first Super Mario Bros., which in its released form came out for the Famicom on September 13, 1985 in Japan and for the NES in (I think) February 1986 in the U.S. during the Los Angeles trial launch?

All I know is that there was a prototype copy that sold on eBay back in 2016 for a measly $200 or so, but whoever owns it and what condition it's in are sketchy.

What I would like to know is how all the graphics looked and the music sounded (as compared to the released form).

~Ben

Edited by ColecoFan1981

Super Mario Bros on NES was out at launch back in October or about then (so launch window) of 1985.  I got my console that christmas to utter amazement and got +2 games, it along with Hogan's Alley were the extras.

As far as that goes, good luck.  Would have said try NintendoAge but that place imploded under its own weight and corruption, though elements of it survive at VGS so maybe someone there knows something or maybe even has it I have no idea.

On 1/16/2024 at 1:20 AM, ColecoFan1981 said:

Does anybody know anything about the prototype release of the first Super Mario Bros., which in its released form came out for the Famicom on September 13, 1985 in Japan and for the NES in (I think) February 1986 in the U.S. during the Los Angeles trial launch?

All I know is that there was a prototype copy that sold on eBay back in 2016 for a measly $200 or so, but whoever owns it and what condition it's in are sketchy.

What I would like to know is how all the graphics looked and the music sounded (as compared to the released form).

~Ben

Are you thinking of the Super Mario Bros 2 prototype that was sold on eBay?

A prototype of the international version of Super Mario Bros. 2 was bought in cartridge form on eBay and afterwards dumped. The game at this point is partway through its conversion from Doki Doki Panic, and contains a few elements that aren't present in DDP or the final SMB2.

On 1/16/2024 at 11:16 PM, ColecoFan1981 said:

Here is what I dug up about it on Wired.com... I just hope those are not doctored photos.

~Ben

I'm skeptical to state the least.

There is a lot more information and evidence on the SMB2 prototype.  Not seeing any mention of an SMB prototype practically anywhere outside of the Wired article.  The pictures in that Wired article, especially of the PCB and those stickers on the chips, leads me to believe it less, rather than more.

The Super Mario Bros. 2 prototype marks a rare find. The cartridge was purchased by Johan_1984 on eBay in 2005 for $350. We would like to thank Johan_1984 for his huge contributions to this page.

While the existence of a SMB proto is not ruled out for me, there needs to be more evidence and details of the version claimed in that Wired article from an eBay auction.

On 1/17/2024 at 4:09 AM, Trebor said:

I'm skeptical to state the least.

There is a lot more information and evidence on the SMB2 prototype.  Not seeing any mention of an SMB prototype practically anywhere outside of the Wired article.  The pictures in that Wired article, especially of the PCB and those stickers on the chips, leads me to believe it less, rather than more.

While the existence of a SMB proto is not ruled out for me, there needs to be more evidence and details of the version claimed in that Wired article from an eBay auction.

It baffles me, too. If anyone else here knows about the SMB1 proto, please try to let me know.

~Ben

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 5/12/2024 at 4:54 PM, AbrenTheCollector said:

I bought it for $200 on that auction 

If you can, could you please try to boot it up and see how the graphics and gameplay compare to the released version?

Thank you,

Ben

• Like 1