IGNORED

Season 15 ~ Week 2 ~ Kung Fu Master

Vocelli

Well, another week, another belter of a game. I know not everyone agrees me on this, but I think this is absolutely awesome. Sure, it has the compromises inherent in fitting a late 1984 Arcade Game into a 2600 8k ROM. But seriously, how did they make it this good?. It has two of the three main arcade tunes, that same frantic gameplay (albeit in slightly cut down form), and it even looks decent. The biggest compliment I can pay this is that if I didn't know it was a 2600 game, I would assume it was a port to a more powerful system.

Also great to play Bezerk again. I had (and really liked) this cart when I was a kid, and it was also the very first game I played on HSC. So not only a great game, but also a double dose of nostalgia.

Anyway, that's enough from me, here are some scores :

Kung-Fu Master (1987) (Activision)_3.png

Berzerk (1982) (Atari).png

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jasonhrb said:

but I think this is absolutely awesome.

I couldn't agree more.  Ive played Kung-Fu Master before but never more than a few minutes, and each time I looked at it, I thought it was a crap port that was too ambitious.  But after seeing all 5 levels recreated faithfully, the ditty that plays as you progress is almost chiptune perfect, the clacking of the feet upon starting a level, the moths, all 3 trap balls are represented, knife-thrower AI and even Sylvia is tied up in the chair when you finish a loop.   I think they did a bang up job cramming this onto the 2600.

• Like 3

Kung Fu Master (Game 1): 43,760

Berzerk (Game 9, B/B): 9830

Full disclosure: I played Berzerk Enhanced rather than the original as I’ve got the cart (which is why the score font is different). If this doesn’t count I won’t complain!

IMG_0346.thumb.jpeg.df3f6456b3fe564634c58c1f8952b073.jpeg

IMG_0326.thumb.jpeg.a30e20ad05cab3461e9068ecbdec6718.jpeg

• Like 2

On 1/25/2024 at 1:39 AM, Skippy B. Coyote said:

Man, a few years ago I used to be able to beat this game and loop it once no problem, but now it took me an hour of practice just to get to the last level. Yay getting old I suppose :lol:

Kung-Fu Master (Game 1, B/B Difficulty) - 111,620

IMG20240125003256.thumb.jpg.3a1805db589c2ed76282b5c24b4a81c3.jpg

Coyote what device is that you are playing on?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Slider271 said:

Kung Fu Master (Game 1): 43,760

Berzerk (Game 9, B/B): 9830

Full disclosure: I played Berzerk Enhanced rather than the original as I’ve got the cart (which is why the score font is different). If this doesn’t count I won’t complain!

IMG_0346.thumb.jpeg.df3f6456b3fe564634c58c1f8952b073.jpeg

IMG_0326.thumb.jpeg.a30e20ad05cab3461e9068ecbdec6718.jpeg

I have tested Berserk, Enhanced Berserk, and the new Atari 2600+ Berserk, and all three play identically. The only difference is the audio output and the scoreboard graphics.

Im just a player like anyone else, so I don't make the decision, however, I would support allowing performances from any of the three versions, since the gameplay is identical.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, gbag said:

Coyote what device is that you are playing on?

It's an Android based emulation handheld called an Anbernic RG ARC-D. Not the most catchy name in the world, but it's a really nice little Sega style device that can emulate everything from Atari 2600 up through and including original PlayStation perfectly. In this case I'm using the Stella core in Retroarch for my Atari 2600 needs, and wrapping it all up in an attractive frontend called Daijisho. :)

Here's a better picture of the device:

20240116004833_IMG_41262.thumb.JPG.0a13500b7f92efa1c4029c91f2b01de3.JPG

PS: Ignore the blue tint to the screen. In real life the colors on the screen look completely normal, my camera just sucks at photographing IPS panels :lol:

Edited by Skippy B. Coyote
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, ZilchSr said:

I have tested Berserk, Enhanced Berserk, and the new Atari 2600+ Berserk, and all three play identically. The only difference is the audio output and the scoreboard graphics.

Im just a player like anyone else, so I don't make the decision, however, I would support allowing performances from any of the three versions, since the gameplay is identical.

There is one difference: in Enhanced Berzerk , the robots can fire diagonally so technically it’s a bit harder than the original 2600 version :)

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Slider271 said:

We can allow this since there is no known difference in gameplay.

• Like 2