IGNORED

Asteroids 2600/7800

Jerry0720

Hi all.  Hope you are doing well. I just got my Asteroids 7800 game. I’m playing it on an Atari 2600+ that plays all 7800 games. Most of my games are 7800 games. I am using the original Atari 2600 joystick. When I press the fire button, my spaceship goes into hyperspace. I cannot fire at the asteroids. Any idea what’s going on. Is it a joystick problem? A system problem? Please advise. Thank you so very much.

If you do a search and read some of the existing threads, you'll find that the original firmware for the Plus has the 7800 buttons swapped around. 

There are detailed instructions for doing a firmware update (with a Windows computer) that corrects this issue.

Or if you have a 2-button 7800 controller, just use the other button.

• Like 3

Yeah the 7800 version uses a two button controller, that it currently doesn't support correctly. With reverse controls many games can't be played, as fire was usually the first button. (Making them partially compatible with a single button controller) here's hoping it will be fixed with an update, same for diff switches.

In the meantime, a two button controller is required to play. I'd suggest picking up some euro pads, which are loads better than the proline crap we got. Buttons will still be reversed, but you'll still have a fire button.

Also, try the 2600 version if you can find one. Its pretty common, so if your local game store has pre Nintendo stuff, they will be likely to have a copy for $5 or less. Clunky looking for sure, but play on advance (b setting on 2600+ till they fix the switches) its still a great game. Or uh... Play on beginner and veg out however long you want to go for, you won't die to death till your tired of playing.

Atari should be announcing their new two button controller any day now. In the meantime, many of us have had to find other solutions to play the 7800 version of Asteroids and other two button games on the 2600+. A couple of popular ones are the Mega 7800 adapter, sold in the AtariAge store, that allows you to use Sega Mega Drive/Genesis and Master System controllers on the console, and two button controllers made by a company called RetroGameBoyz. Both are great for playing those two button 7800 games on the console.

I wouldn't expect them to change the behavior of the game with a console update, though. The 7800 version of Asteroids has always used two buttons. It's just a shame that they haven't released a new two button controller yet, leaving many of us to scramble and find other solutions. I grew up playing Asteroids on the 7800, so I was stoked to get it for the 2600+, but then sad when I couldn't play it due to the button issue. That was before the firmware update, so I had to hurry and buy a two button controller.

Edited by scifidude79
  • Like 1

On 1/26/2024 at 5:29 PM, scifidude79 said:

Atari should be announcing their new two button controller any day now. In the meantime, many of us have had to find other solutions to play the 7800 version of Asteroids and other two button games on the 2600+. A couple of popular ones are the Mega 7800 adapter, sold in the AtariAge store, that allows you to use Sega Mega Drive/Genesis and Master System controllers on the console, and two button controllers made by a company called RetroGameBoyz. Both are great for playing those two button 7800 games on the console.

I wouldn't expect them to change the behavior of the game with a console update, though. The 7800 version of Asteroids has always used two buttons. It's just a shame that they haven't released a new two button controller yet, leaving many of us to scramble and find other solutions. I grew up playing Asteroids on the 7800, so I was stoked to get it for the 2600+, but then sad when I couldn't play it due to the button issue. That was before the firmware update, so I had to hurry and buy a two button controller.

I got the Atari 7800 controller and it work perfectly!  The lefy button is fire and the right button is hyperspace.

• Like 1