IGNORED

Milwaukee Area Atari Users Group (Milatari)

Allan

Below is the June, 1986 issue of the Milwaukee Area Atari Users Group (Milatari) newsletter.

https://archive.org/details/milwaukee-area-atari-users-group-newsletter-june-1986

If you got any issues, please either scan them, let me scan them, or at least think about selling them so someone else could scan them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That was the year before I joined. I’m surprised at the turnover. I only recognize 2-3 names in that newsletter. It’s obvious they were still using the 8-bit for their newsletter. There’s nothing wrong with that. The ST was only about a year old and the members who owned one may not have wanted to be the newsletter editor. 

I only have the September 1989 issue of the MilAtari newsletter because I wrote a long article chastising Atari US for not promoting the ST. I cringe at how 20 something Bob wrote, but I was passionate about the ST at the time. 

I did find out that Atari actually read at least some of the articles since I received a call from Bob Brodie (Atari user group ambassador at the time) about the article. 

Sadly, I don’t have any scanners anymore. 

Bob C

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Allan said:

Do you have a decent cell phone? If you take some pictures strait down, I could clean them up and make a PDF of it.

@Allan - Yes, I have an iPhone 14 Pro Max. I’ve used it to scan other documents. I just assumed you wanted a better scan from a flatbed scanner. 

I’ll see when I can get time to do it. Just remind me if I forget. How can I get the file to you?

Bob C

• Like 1

Hi Bob C. and Allan.  Good timing on your question.  I have almost all of the Newsletters from July 1983 to at least October 2007.  I was considering scanning them.  Now I guess I'll have to move that to the "to-do" list.  I was at the VCF Midwest and met a person that had a friend that is working on a book about the Computer gaming area of Gencon and gave him some info from the Newsletters.

MilAtari is no more but a core group of us still meet (at the Church on 115th).  We get anywhere from 3 to 7 people attending.  Not too much talk about computers, a lot of talk about what's ailing us lately.  

Dennis Wilson (a member even longer than I was) passed away back in September.  We didn't find out until Christmas time when his sister called after my Christmas card to him was forwarded to her.

Allan, I'm also a member of LCACE for the since the Covid19 days.  I can check with JJ and see if he has back newsletters from them

Edited by djglish
needed to add info
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Allan said:

Thanks, @djglish . Any issues you can scan would be great.

@djglish is a much better source than I am for MilAtari information and newsletters. I’m sorry to hear about Dennis. I remember him well. Sadly, we’re all getting older. At almost 59, I’m probably one of the younger ex-MilAtari members. 

Bob C

5 hours ago, djglish said:

Allan, I'm also a member of LCACE for the since the Covid19 days.  I can check with JJ and see if he has back newsletters from them

I’m sure JJ probably has the LCACE newsletters for probably most of its history since he was the long time newsletter editor along with club founder. He might still have the PageStream files 🙂

The problem will be getting him to scan them. It’d be a huge job and I’m sure he has other interests that take up his time. That’s the impression I got when I last got an email from him on LinkedIn. 

Bob C

Edited by darwinmac

19 minutes ago, djglish said:

I have a good scanner so I can get it done.  I also have a few of the MAST (Milwaukee Area ST user group) newsletters.  I can scan those too.

@djglish - Do you have the first issue of the MAST newsletter? I’ll let you scan that if you have it. I also have the programs from the two Atarifests that MAST held. The “programs” are little more than a dealer map. I also have the larger program from the one Atarifest that LCACE put on that was sponsored by Atari (1991). 

Bob C

I'm pretty sure that I don't have the first MAST newsletters.  I didn't join when they first split off.  I was one of the people that helped push to get the two clubs back together though.

I also have the program from the 1991 LCACE Atarifest.  I can scan that also.  I know that I was at one or both of the MAST events but don't have the programs from them.

I had a couple of busy days scanning.  So far I've done July 1983 through March 1987.  Those were all in a binder that a member had given me a number of years back.  

Last fall we went through the cabinets at our meeting place and found a number of things of the club's that we decided to sell off at the VCF Midwest.  One of the items I brought home was another binder that has the first issue of the Newsletter and goes just past the beginning of the other one that I've scanned.  This will be the next batch that I work on.

From March 87 forward I will have to rely on the ones that I received (as a member) and didn't lose.  Unfortunately there are a number of gaps.  With Dennis gone I don't know where I would be able to get any of the missing newsletters.

At some point I became editor so I should have those in digital format.  There was a period where we were sending a disk every month with articles and programs on the disk instead of a newsletter.  I have some of those and may have the files in digital format.

My poor scanner hasn't been this busy since I digitized all of my families slides a few years ago (over 1000 slides).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I have the April 1991 MAST newsletter (Not sure when they started).  It might be the first issue. I also have a few issues from 1994-1995 till they merged with MilAtari and became MCS, the Milwukee Computer Society.

I've finished scanning the MilAtari newsletters.  I'm only missing about 15 (mostly from 1988).  It was a real nostalgia trip seeing all of the articles.  I signed up for an Internet Archive account and will work on getting the newsletters posted.

Allan, I looked at your page on Internet Archive.  Do you know if there is a way to make folders on a page?  I'd like to separate the newsletters by year.

Edited by djglish
needed to add info
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, djglish said:

I have the April 1991 MAST newsletter (Not sure when they started).  It might be the first issue. I also have a few issues from 1994-1995 till they merged with MilAtari and became MCS, the Milwukee Computer Society.

I've finished scanning the MilAtari newsletters.  I'm only missing about 15 (mostly from 1988).  It was a real nostalgia trip seeing all of the articles.  I signed up for an Internet Archive account and will work on getting the newsletters posted.

Allan, I looked at your page on Internet Archive.  Do you know if there is a way to make folders on a page?  I'd like to separate the newsletters by year.

You can upload multiple pdfs in one entry. But if you want to make a collection like you see in the lower right hand box called 'collections' in the link below, you have to get an employee to do it. Luckily Kay Savetz of the Antic Podcast works for them and I'm sure he would help if I ask.

https://archive.org/details/k-power-magazine-02

3 hours ago, djglish said:

I have the April 1991 MAST newsletter (Not sure when they started).  It might be the first issue.

The first MAST issue was June 1990. I’ll try to get time to scan it. Unfortunately, I three hole punched the newsletter at some point, but it’s better than not having it at all. 

@djglish - Do you have the March 1995 issue? That was the issue when both clubs merged. Since you were the editor at the time, I assume you don’t need that scanned. 

@Allan - Previously, I scanned the 1992 WAACE AtariFest program for @rkindig, I think. I still have the scan on my Dropbox account if you need it. 

When I get to this, can I provide links for you to upload the files to your Internet Archive account?

Sorry I haven’t done this sooner. I’ve been too tired to do much retro-computing after starting a new job. 

Bob C

6 minutes ago, darwinmac said:

@Allan - Previously, I scanned the 1992 WAACE AtariFest program for @rkindig, I think. I still have the scan on my Dropbox account if you need it. 

When I get to this, can I provide links for you to upload the files to your Internet Archive account?

Sorry I haven’t done this sooner. I’ve been too tired to do much retro-computing after starting a new job. 

Bob C

Sure. Just Private Message me a link and I will upload them.

All of the newsletters that I scanned are three hole punched except some from 92-93 which were half sized sheets (scanned as side-by-side pages).  I do have the March 95 issue.

I'd like to see the original MAST newsletter too.

1995 03 MilAtari Newsletter.pdf

I'll let you know when I have the Newsletters uploaded to internet Archive.

• Like 2

@Allan @djglish - I doubt the scans are perfect from my iPhone, but it did create a searchable PDF which is nice. Anyway, here are the files I promised:

MAST (Milwaukee Area ST) newsletter issue #1 (June 1990)

Milwaukee AtariFest 1991 program guide (little more than exhibitor map)

Milwaukee AtariFest 1992 program guide (same format as 1991)

WAACE 1992 Program and Guide (only WAACE show I was able to attend)

A nice tidbit from the WAACE show. John Trautschold (spelling?) from Missionware Software brought me along to help him at his booth. At the time, he sold Flash 2 along with distributing software from an Australian software company (Fair Dinkum software). Since he was a private pilot (he might still be for all I know), he took me on my first airplane flight in his Piper Cherokee. I'd never even flown commercial before that flight. I didn't get paid, but I got a free flight and meals. I can't complain. I also got to sit at the Atari developers table where they were bitching about Atari. Good times.

Bob C

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, darwinmac said:

Not to bad from a cell phone. Thanks for making these.

• 4 months later...
On 2/11/2024 at 4:57 PM, djglish said:

I put the newsletters up on Internet Archive.  I uploaded them in two batches and it looks like it put them into two separate groupings.

I'm with Allan, these are great and there are so many.  I'm always happy when new newsletters are made available.  I've slowly been working my way through them.

If you still have the issues at hand, there are some minor omissions it would be great to fix.

• February 1982 issue scan is missing pages 5 and 6.
  • December 1983 issue scan is missing page 2.
  • March 1984 issue scan is missing page 2.
  • December 1984 issue scan is missing page 10.

Thanks for the interest and the proofreading.  I did save the originals and I'll go back and try to get the missing pages added.  I worked on those for about 4 days straight to get them copied.  I'm surprised that I didn't miss more.  I'm also still hoping that I can find the few issues that I didn't have.  These were a compilation of 4 members newsletters.

Last year I gave a copy of the club disks to one of the people that runs the Atari BBS group.  I'm going to check with the few members that we still have and see what we should do with the other copies.

• Thanks 1