IGNORED

Annual 10 line basic program contest has started

4 minutes ago, arcadeshopper said:

you maybe?    Have  you been working on anything?  hh2?  hells hall?  :)

Well, a CC-40 10 liner certainly wouldn't be much trouble, so I could see it alright.  Never written a full-fledged game for it, so could be fun. 

I'm working on TI-99 YouTube content right now rather than programs, but I'll be back at work on HH2 shortly I think.  Much of the hardest work (dungeon generator, all graphics, interpreter, all core interpreter subprograms) is already done. 

Funnily enough, my "crossing of the rubicon" as far as getting HH2 finished is mainly just monster encounter and event-based menu interactions, as these use a subinterpreter with support for all sorts of abstruse nonsense like conditional jumps and constructing message text from a combination of string tokens representing n-grams of length 2 to 5, and variable tokens representing the contents of three core game variable arrays (the main two being strings of byte values - not arrays per se).  This approach being inherently necessary, given that without some kind of compression, all menu/encounter/event text totals to a minimum of 1884 characters at present, which may grow. 

I've got a few weeks off work starting late March, so that'll hopefully be a chance to really get things sorted out then. 

• Like 6

And though the TI-74 is almost completely compatible with Enhanced (CC-40) BASIC, it doesn't support CALL CHAR or CALL INDIC without the PCIF being used to load assembly routines, so what you can do out of the box with its native BASIC game-wise is far less interesting.  Really just text games.

On 2/1/2024 at 11:42 AM, pixelpedant said:

Well, a CC-40 10 liner certainly wouldn't be much trouble, so I could see it alright.  Never written a full-fledged game for it, so could be fun. 

I'm working on TI-99 YouTube content right now rather than programs, but I'll be back at work on HH2 shortly I think.  Much of the hardest work (dungeon generator, all graphics, interpreter, all core interpreter subprograms) is already done. 

Funnily enough, my "crossing of the rubicon" as far as getting HH2 finished is mainly just monster encounter and event-based menu interactions, as these use a subinterpreter with support for all sorts of abstruse nonsense like conditional jumps and constructing message text from a combination of string tokens representing n-grams of length 2 to 5, and variable tokens representing the contents of three core game variable arrays (the main two being strings of byte values - not arrays per se).  This approach being inherently necessary, given that without some kind of compression, all menu/encounter/event text totals to a minimum of 1884 characters at present, which may grow. 

I've got a few weeks off work starting late March, so that'll hopefully be a chance to really get things sorted out then. 

It's impressive work how you managed to squeeze so much in so little. Looking forward to HH2.

• 1 month later...