IGNORED

Manuals 10 in 1

2LTIME6100

In the last few days I've been looking for instructions for all of my Atari games on the web. For the 10 in 1 games on the 2600+, I looked at the instructions on the Atari website and compared them with the original manuals. I noticed that none of the games gave any information about the d-Switch functions. However, these can be found in the original instructions. These settings often have an impact on the gaming experience. 

It would be nice if Atari made improvements here to give all customers the full gaming experience.

Greetings from Germany 😊

Edited by 2LTIME6100
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

This site here that you registered an account on and just posted to complain about this literally is the single best resource for every Atari game manual ever. 

look up. Click on the link for “2600” then click on “Manuals”.

This site is owned by Atari.

Sorry, that wasn't a complaint. Enough people have already commented that printed instructions for this new edition of a retro console would have been a very nice addition. I also know where I get the information from. It was a well-intentioned tip to at least supplement the digital instructions with important information. Not every buyer of a 2600+ is as deeply into the topic as most users of this forum and is then disappointed after the purchase. I personally love the product, am able to do a firmware update and with 1.1 the colors of the PAL games are displayed correctly. Everything is ok for me. However, there will also be many customers who simply want to unpack the product and use it without having to make any improvements. Customers who are disappointed when the 4 in 1 cart doesn't work as promised on an old 2600 PAL because the games are NTSC. This then leads to negative reviews and, if things go really badly, to product failure. That would be sad for all of us, so let's help improve the product with constructive criticism and support.

Well the difficulty switches are the missing extra switches from the original 6switch model. Don't know if they thought moving them cleaned up the console dashboard or what, but their really the same system.

Bitd, some games did have instructions that mentioned this. Activision space shuttle even had an overlay for both six and four switch models of console.

The switches aren’t missing, they’re just moved to the back. But they are missing from the manuals.

Maybe the trouble is that what the switches do depends on which firmware you’re running. (They were accidentally reversed in firmware 1.0 …or rather the mistake was on how the plastic case labeled them.)

If they HAD made manuals that said what the difficulty switches did they would’ve all been wrong since firmware 1.0 has the difficulty switches reversed. And any new manual will have to have a disclaimer mentioning the differences between firmware or they’ll be inaccurate too.

I think someone made the + and didn't realize the switches mean something, so they just assumed a was easy or one setting, while b was hard or second setting. Don't know how often it was mentioned in original manuals, but some did mention, A is for advanced, while b is for beginner.

I can see the difficulty being reversed, but not mentioned at all is weird, unless its not used. Old manuals would still mention all switches and just mark them as unused.

However, most (all?) The games on 10-1 carts use the difficulty switches, so no mention is just weird, unless the games were modified to not use them. Atari has modified some of their games before (like the more modern adventure, where dragons don't have "stomachs" or whatever the hole in their body is supposed to be) but I doubt Atari bothered editing difficulty options on any, much less all the games on the 10 in 1 cart.