IGNORED

Tony - Born for adventure

9 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

What is the current requirements for TONY memory computer wise etc. in any event?

If someone comes along and says it doesn't work but they have CGIA etc, cause you know ... it might work or not. :)

I use almost every possible part of memory now :)
I needed that as I've packed title screen etc. Just story text is almost 4kb long...

64k is enough and works in most cases I've tested so far including my own 800xl with memory expansion.

Anyway, we'll make final game work on as most machines as we can without need for memory expansions.

I played it once on my real machine yesterday, what I noticed is that there is still no debounce on for fire on the title screen? It totally flashed through the text intro screen. EDIT: I played ver 6.

Personally I like colorfull games (in the old times both for my Atari and PC I only had monochrome monitors and was always envious of the colors others had, this stayed with me), but this one is making up for this in so many ways. What was tiny bit disappointing was to hear the music only on the left channel, I do understand that the game will probably stay mono and is meant for stock machines (very noble approach!), nevertheless, such a waste with so good music and so many stereo setups around 😉 But more seriously - are there plans for the game to also have (choosable over music) SFX? I can imagine something like a spooky background wind like noise / base tune and SFXs over that 😉

Edited by woj
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, woj said:

I played it once on my real machine yesterday, what I noticed is that there is still no debounce on for fire on the title screen? It totally flashed through the text intro screen. EDIT: I played ver 6.

Personally I like colorfull games (in the old times both for my Atari and PC I only had monochrome monitors and was always envious of the colors others had, this stayed with me), but this one is making up for this in so many ways. What was tiny bit disappointing was to hear the music only on the left channel, I do understand that the game will probably stay mono and is meant for stock machines (very noble approach!), nevertheless, such a waste with so good music and so many stereo setups around 😉 But more seriously - are there plans for the game to also have (choosable over music) SFX? I can imagine something like a spooky background wind like noise / base tune and SFXs over that 😉

Yes there will be sfx and they sound great, just need to code routines for playing them :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Well I hope that now I've really fixed that leftover pixels on bats bug :)

One line of code was missing... I got help from guys on Atarionline.pl forum again, they pointed me in the right direction and an hour of debugging later, everything makes sense and I can not reproduce bug anymore.

ps. I've added use of space bar/Start key at game over screen too.

tony v9.xex tony v9.atr

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

On 2/10/2024 at 3:54 AM, woj said:

disappointing was to hear the music only on the left channel

@popmilo you can do fake stereło by saving previous frame pokey values and pushing them to +$10 pokey registers in the next frame. it'll cost you a fistful of bytes and sounds surprisingly OK-ish ;)))

btw - "A Fistful of Bytes" <--- nice name for a little prod :]

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, popmilo said:

Nice idea with double pokey writes. I can do that.

I'm in process of writing routines for playing fx, so will try to do stereo pokey at the same time.

Cool, the music sounds great already. Will be interesting to see how it sounds.

Talking of the music, I wondered why the score for the C64 version of Tony is completely different?  The A8 one gives more of a sense of tension and atmosphere, which fits the game better in IMHO. Not that the SID C64 music doesn't sounds good - it just sounds like that score would be more fitting for a space/sci fi game:

C64 Tony:

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Beeblebrox said:

Talking of the music, I wondered why the score for the C64 version of Tony is completely different?  The A8 one gives more of a sense of tension and atmosphere, which fits the game better in IMHO. Not that the SID C64 music doesn't sounds good - it just sounds like that score would be more fitting for a space/sci fi game:

i would say it's artistic freedom :)

Each platform music was done by different person as much as I know. I like the Amiga version for example.

• Like 1

I believe we are focused on in game, game-play music and the wonderful atmosphere and ambiance it is providing.

Title screen / Main Screen music is a nice build up. I like the Amiga Title/Main screen jungle feel as well, both the Amiga and Atari 8 gameplay music is fitting. The '64 seems like title main screen continues into gameplay and is taken to some sort of astral plane in space. I think that was the observation/feeling about it.

• Like 3

ZeroPage Homebrew is playing Tony on tomorrow's ZPH stream LIVE on Twitch! Hope you can join us!

6th Annual Atari Homebrew Awards Nominee Playthroughs:

Games:

• Tony (2024 WIP | A8) by Vladimir Janković @popmilo (Code) / Rafał Dudek @RafalDudek (Graphics) / Michał 'Caruso' Brzezicki (Sound)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

23 hours ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

ZeroPage Homebrew is playing Tony on tomorrow's ZPH stream LIVE on Twitch! Hope you can join us!

6th Annual Atari Homebrew Awards Nominee Playthroughs:

Games:

• Tony (2024 WIP | A8) by Vladimir Janković @popmilo (Code) / Rafał Dudek @RafalDudek (Graphics) / Michał 'Caruso' Brzezicki (Sound)

20240216-LetsPlay.thumb.jpg.290ecdd7504d6c490e8ce53bd9dec623.jpg

great promotion of our game, I'm very glad that you are so interested in the game... it's a great motivation for us 

m12.gif

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

• 2 months later...
On 2/5/2024 at 5:00 PM, popmilo said:

V9 - REALLY fixed leftover pixels on bats moving in complex paths  :)

Unfortunately even in V9 sometimes leftover pixels are still there. I enjoyed the demo level nevertheless very much 👍 and finished it several times since release.

Edited by patjomki
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, patjomki said:

Unfortunately even in V9 sometimes leftover pixels are still there. I enjoyed the demo level nevertheless very much 👍 and finished it several times since release.

I have seen that too playing ~2 weeks ago, but forgot to post.

• Like 1