IGNORED

Tony - Born for adventure

29 minutes ago, marauder666 said:

Tony Go isnt working on my PAL 600XL with U1MB using a AVG Cart.  Just garbage on screen.

It does work if I switch the AVG into SIDE emulation mode and use the U1MB loader.

Not enough information,

Are you using the SIO cable adapter from the AVG cart?

Are you using the AVG loader?

Did you try it with the XEX inside an .ATR?

Did you try the SIDE Loader that is on the AVG?

what AVG configurations have you set?

Are you using the PBI cable for loading? Are you selecting memory from the AVG or the U1M?

If PBI, have you cycled through the loading methods? Cart Loader/PBI loader/SIO?

Edited by _The Doctor__

On 10/10/2024 at 11:29 PM, desiv said:

This looks great...

Darn!!!  ;-(   
I can totally understand that, but my 48K Atari 400 will have to site this one out...

Uf, sorry man :)
I'm sorry for NTSC users already, and going to code next games to be ntsc compatible for sure, but I didn't even consider anything less than 64kb ram :)

Will try to take that into the account next time for sure :)

• Like 1

On 10/11/2024 at 11:11 AM, Jacques said:

@popmilo

Not sure if the issue is already addressed, but are you aware of parallax scrolling at the bottom visually stopping at certain speed? You can observe it round 2:55. Not sure if @RafalDudek forwarded this report to you already. And thanks, this not-so-little game is very impressive!

https://youtu.be/iA1o6-JUd9I?t=173

Yes I'm well aware of that. It's just how things look like with 16pixel wide ground texture and doubling speeds each layer. So you can imagine it's moving so fast that it syncs with your eyes, or just focus on jumping and ignore that fx ;)

1 hour ago, marauder666 said:

PBI BIOS enabled.

No PBI cable.

Using SIO cable.

Loading XEX directly using AVG Cart crashes.  Loading using the AVG side loader works.  Loading using the U1M loader works.

Well, I can't guarantee anything working with that config :)

It works 100% on my 800xl with simple memory expansion and loading xex from a8picocart.

Game uses zp and everything between $2000-$FFFF as soon as it loads... So probably the issue is some memory overlap.
I wish there was one place where I could see every possible atari config and which memory locations are free to use and which are not...

2 hours ago, popmilo said:

Yes I'm well aware of that. It's just how things look like with 16pixel wide ground texture and doubling speeds each layer. So you can imagine it's moving so fast that it syncs with your eyes, or just focus on jumping and ignore that fx ;)

So nothing can be done about it? Pleaaaaseee. It'so nice and impressive game that this effect harms it a bit 😉

• Like 1

Maybe AVG cart loader can be improved, I'd take this to AVG thread so @tmp could look at it. It's gotten better over the years. It does look like there are several ways to run the game from the cart in the meantime which is a good thing.

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, popmilo said:

Game uses zp and everything between $2000-$FFFF as soon as it loads... So probably the issue is some memory overlap.
I wish there was one place where I could see every possible atari config and which memory locations are free to use and which are not...

Hmmm, no programmer, but afaik $D000-D7FF is NOT free to use (unless you have MapRAM, which 99,99% of Atarians don't have with real Atari computer). Also read somewhere that $FFFB is the highest possible RAM location that can be used (no clue, why $FFFC-FFFF cannot be used).

Some loaders (or programs) also require one not only to switch off Basic, but also to clear the zero page before using and to clear RAM under Basic before using...

4 hours ago, CharlieChaplin said:

Hmmm, no programmer, but afaik $D000-D7FF is NOT free to use (unless you have MapRAM, which 99,99% of Atarians don't have with real Atari computer). Also read somewhere that $FFFB is the highest possible RAM location that can be used (no clue, why $FFFC-FFFF cannot be used).

Some loaders (or programs) also require one not only to switch off Basic, but also to clear the zero page before using and to clear RAM under Basic before using...

Yes, I know those. Basically as soon as my code starts it turns off interrupts, then roms etc, and controls everything from there. Even the nmi irq should be handled by my code, so besides some strange hw interfering with my ram segments I have no idea...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, pseudografx said:

Just a minor bug report: In the game, the banner says "SELECT FOR COLOR", but it's Option, not Select.

Yes :) I've realized it couple days ago when I finally managed to test it on my 800xl :)

It's fixed in newer version, you'll see it once it's ready for distribution.

5 hours ago, Jacques said:

So nothing can be done about it? Pleaaaaseee. It'so nice and impressive game that this effect harms it a bit 😉

Maybe, just maybe if I use like 1,3,6,12 etc steps for scroll... Let me see :)

• Thanks 1

On 10/12/2024 at 6:04 AM, popmilo said:

Uf, sorry man :)
I'm sorry for NTSC users already, and going to code next games to be ntsc compatible for sure, but I didn't even consider anything less than 64kb ram :)

Will try to take that into the account next time for sure :)

52kB 800 style :)

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, ascrnet said:

Thanks for sharing the game, the bad thing is that it is PAL only. 🫠

I'll try fixing it if I can without rewriting entire scroll part into charmode... Now it's bitmap mode (easier to code softsprites with that)...
Or maybe I'll just throw out bushes :)

• Thanks 3

Proud to present to you the newest atari version of TonyGo :)
Now you can jump from ducking too, caption on flying banner is fixed, and you don't slow down to a crawl after loosing a life...
But most importantly - now you can play in NTSC mode too :)
ps. Bushes had to go, that is the price for making code take less cpu time...

tonygo_NTSC.xex tonygo_PAL.xex

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

Smaller size or sparser bush placement didn't help?

ah the loop is still built for 50.

Playing in 60 was fine,

speed was continuing from where it left off,

Jump from crouch worked wonderfully,

layer stall happens now so visually the band appears not to move,

and the other issue has already been mentioned by Philsan.

2 hours ago, popmilo said:

Proud to present to you the newest atari version of TonyGo :)
Now you can jump from ducking too, caption on flying banner is fixed, and you don't slow down to a crawl after loosing a life...
But most importantly - now you can play in NTSC mode too :)
ps. Bushes had to go, that is the price for making code take less cpu time...

tonygo_NTSC.xex 38.97 kB · 20 downloads tonygo_PAL.xex 38.97 kB · 14 downloads

Interesting info - in NTSC land, there is no bush allowed.  I'll pass this on :)

5110080_0.jpg

• Haha 2