IGNORED

Tony - Born for adventure

• 1 month later...

Now that the C64 version has a release date, will the atari version be the same (when it's ready) or is the atari version (like the demo) slightly different?

I noticed that there are some enemies missing in the atari demo version compared to the demo version on c64 (guess it has something to do with 30/60Hz that @popmilo  mentioned earlier in this thread).

• Like 1

Well, there is this:

The only unclear thing to me is that the video description suggests it's downloadable, but I do not think it is and it seems like this one is going to be physical only release.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Nice production.

Personally, I'd like to see more purchase-only releases, as it can bring a higher quality level; and I also think a lot of software producers deserve compensation for their time and hard work -- if that's their interest or motivation.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, woj said:

Well, there is this:

My ears! I wasn't aware that the angry squirrel was responsible for the intro music.

Joking aside: The note table for the filter voice doesn't match in RMT and needs adaptation.

To the creators: Any chance for a change? It would be really a pity if such a polished (or polish ;) )  production lacks in the music department.

1 hour ago, Irgendwer said:

My ears! I wasn't aware that the angry squirrel was responsible for the intro music.

Joking aside: The note table for the filter voice doesn't match in RMT and needs adaptation.

To the creators: Any chance for a change? It would be really a pity if such a polished (or polish ;) )  production lacks in the music department.

Good thing it wasn't the last version :)
You're totally right, there was an error in note tables. Good thing I had @pseudografx on speed dial, so thanks to him it was quickly fixed.

Doesn't help that I'm tone deaf and it's my first time using lzss streams, so if there's any blame to put on music department it's me :)

@woj there will be downloadable version for purchase and also cartridge boxed versions with beautiful artwork. Premiere is going to be during next weekend on Pixel Heaven festival in Poiand.

https://pixelheavenfest.com/en/

@patjomki yes, there are differences between versions, and it's all because Rafal gave us freedom to do what we think best. Some of it was because of hw differences, but some are pure gameplay design decisions based on coders perspective. I'll ask you to wait till you play it and then feel free to tell us what you think :)

ps. Game is awesome imho and we can't wait for you to play all five levels and have at least that much fun as we had developing it :)

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

51 minutes ago, MrFish said:

I noticed you're using some PMG's on the floating skulls here. I presumed I would see more (PMG's) in other places, but I didn't notice any.

My guess it's just video recording artifact? In tandem with Altirra video post processing?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, popmilo said:

@pseudografx 

@woj 

@patjomki yes, there are differences between versions, and it's all because Rafal gave us freedom to do what we think best. Some of it was because of hw differences, but some are pure gameplay design decisions based on coders perspective. I'll ask you to wait till you play it and then feel free to tell us what you think :)

ps. Game is awesome imho and we can't wait for you to play all five levels and have at least that much fun as we had developing it :)

Yes, indeed, even the demo is already awsome and I play it (nearly) on a daily basis.

BTW, I can finish it without losing a single live but only the ATARI version, c64 version is far more difficult.

Perhaps you can use your artistic freedom to add a timer so that a speed run is possible? 😁

Anyway, really really looking forward to the final game.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, patjomki said:

Yes, indeed, even the demo is already awsome and I play it (nearly) on a daily basis.

BTW, I can finish it without losing a single live but only the ATARI version, c64 version is far more difficult.

Perhaps you can use your artistic freedom to add a timer so that a speed run is possible? 😁

Anyway, really really looking forward to the final game.

Yes I've also thought game is perfect for speed runs ! :)

Hmmm... don't know if I can implement timer before release... Let me think about it today...

22 hours ago, MrFish said:

I noticed you're using some PMG's on the floating skulls here. I presumed I would see more (PMG's) in other places, but I didn't notice any.

Hehehehe, as the saying goes "No PMG's were harmed during making of this game" :)

ps. I would thought you knew better @MrFish as you made so many nice gfx mockups during the years :)
PMs are only multicolor width pixels, can't be used much in hires scenario. Game is pure hires bitmap, In theory I could use pms to color some parts of screen, but goes against the basic idea of monochrome game....

11 hours ago, popmilo said:

Hehehehe, as the saying goes "No PMG's were harmed during making of this game" :)

Haha... alright, if you say so boss. ;)  It certainly looked like PMG's with hi-res on those objects to me.

11 hours ago, popmilo said:

ps. I would thought you knew better @MrFish as you made so many nice gfx mockups during the years :)
PMs are only multicolor width pixels, can't be used much in hires scenario.

What I know is that this is a false notion, and I think you misunderstand the nature of how PMG's react with hi-res pixels. I'm not saying lack of PMG's here is the wrong choice, and I have no interest to convince anyone about using any features of the machine that they don't want to; but the choice of not using them doesn't equate to them being of little possible use.

Anyway... I'll just leave you with these hi-res (???) screenshots to ponder on...

monop.png.364aadbedcd48b36bf53db40133f4953.thumb.png.83b0b010232a83f5c15ab2c68921da3c.png

inventory.png.60174813d3593d4493dad689c07b64fb.thumb.png.5d201c7f194c6356b296d1f5e7240f85.png

yatz.thumb.png.8866e9154a718e8fb4607887696533d4.png

3in1.thumb.png.7a29158d1c65c4384825d5fcd0004b29.png

pac.thumb.png.de5657f3bcbb1923b03fa46cb2422041.png

manic1.thumb.png.b8255a9186a61d2d9d7e23f87a73e44f.png

manic2.thumb.png.49819901944b15890a92eaf162a611c0.png

manic3.thumb.png.7f6c2805be87aaf5a62c1d858a808224.png

jetset1.thumb.png.cd5b83a9391228a238efcb544ef40435.png

jetset2.thumb.png.c13cf0e1cab4e4ac87af55ac142f0bb9.png

jetset3.thumb.png.4b1356f9004a29a58a49ec9007e334d7.png

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Philsan said:

A Pac-Man emulator

Might be possible.

6 hours ago, Philsan said:

...like Asteroids Emulator (2012) by @norbert_kehrer would by awesome.

That Asteroids emulator is pretty neat; but I really don't like that he didn't use any throttling; thus, when less objects are on screen it's faster, more objects it's slower. As a result, I find it a little hard to play, and at least somewhat annoying.

I really like what @xxl was doing with his emulator; but he dropped work on it at some point (maybe due to another cease and desist letter?). It looks like he had some throttling going on, and I like how he started scaling everything up, for more detail (also, his emulator had better performance, in zoomed and non-zoomed versions). [Note: collision detection hadn't been scaled up to match at this point.]

Here's the WIP before he scaled it up.

I posted the wrong screenshot for Pac-Man. The ghost points are able to be colored with PMG's also.

image.thumb.png.0cd96b69698ff23c9a15ecc703018293.png

• Like 4

I can say today, yes! x 3, TONY is on Atari. Vladimir did a great job. The game is very good... the size of the locations, the variety of the graphics, the smoothness of the animation... a huge amount of work has been done. Many thanks to the coder.
Thank you Vladimir 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, RafalDudek said:

I can say today, yes! x 3, TONY is on Atari. Vladimir did a great job. The game is very good... the size of the locations, the variety of the graphics, the smoothness of the animation... a huge amount of work has been done. Many thanks to the coder.
Thank you Vladimir 

Great. Where can digital download be ordered, please?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Yautja said:

Great. Where can digital download be ordered, please?

I am assuming it will be made available after the official release of the boxed version? (I may be wrong here). 

I am also assuming, due to the size of the game and number of levels, we are talking 128k min for the digital version? 

16 hours ago, Beeblebrox said:

I am also assuming, due to the size of the game and number of levels, we are talking 128k min for the digital version? 

18 hours ago, shanti77 said:

How much RAM does the digital version require?

Normal 64k is enough :)

You only need cart. 

Later I can make separate single file per level versions. I think it would playable even like that and all the guys with cassettes would love it :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, popmilo said:

Later I can make separate single file per level versions. I think it would playable even like that and all the guys with cassettes would love it :)

You could challenge Jumpman for most annoying game on tape. 🤪

EDIT:

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/31/2024 at 10:48 AM, MrFish said:

What I know is that this is a false notion, and I think you misunderstand the nature of how PMG's react with hi-res pixels. I'm not saying lack of PMG's here is the wrong choice, and I have no interest to convince anyone about using any features of the machine that they don't want to; but the choice of not using them doesn't equate to them being of little possible use.

Sorry, I was so busy last couple of nights coding last features in Tony that I forgot to answer you :)
Yes, I'm well aware about all the hires+pm capabilities of Atari. That's why I mentioned your mockups as perfect examples of what can be done with them.
In Tony's case it was simple -  what is more important ? Number of animated objects on screen or couple colors here and there ? That's all.
For each color underlay for Tony (player sprite) or enemies or objects I would waste cpu time and memory. Trust me when I say most of screens are busy to the hilt... That's why the game  is not really playable in Ntsc mode. Although I do intend to make version for ntsc too.

In one or more of my next games I sure will use pm+hires :)

Cheers!

ps. Found one of my first tests of hires + pm on yt :)

Can't believe it's been 13 years since then.... :)

Edited by popmilo
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, popmilo said:

Sorry, I was so busy last couple of nights coding last features in Tony that I forgot to answer you :)
Yes, I'm well aware about all the hires+pm capabilities of Atari. That's why I mentioned your mockups as perfect examples of what can be done with them.

In Tony's case it was simple -  what is more important ? Number of animated objects on screen or couple colors here and there ? That's all.
For each color underlay for Tony (player sprite) or enemies or objects I would waste cpu time and memory. Trust me when I say most of screens are busy to the hilt... That's why the game  is not really playable in Ntsc mode. Although I do intend to make version for ntsc too.

No problem. I'm not questioning your work on Tony; I was just surprised when it looked liked some PMG's were being used on that one screen; especially since I knew it was supposed to be a pure monochrome production from the beginning (according to the graphics and concept designer).

My post with all the hi-res images was just in answer to your general statement that "PMs are only multicolor width pixels, can't be used much in hires scenario". So, I'm saying they can be used (and sometimes extensively) in hi-res scenarios; but I'm not saying they should or can be used in all hi-res scenarios. Every game needs to be judged on a case by case basis, as to what the goal is and what's actually possible to accomplish within acceptable performance limits.

• Like 1