IGNORED

Odyssey 2 / The Voice Oddity

Doc4

• 1 month later...

@Doc4, would you be willing to have the ROM chips dumped?  They might contain different voice data from the released product.

• SP-0256 - this is the main voice engine chip
  • SPR000 - this chip adapts the SP-0256's serial voice expansion bus to normal EPROM chips
  • Remaining large chips are the EPROM chips containing the voice data.

22 hours ago, Lathe26 said:

@Doc4, would you be willing to have the ROM chips dumped?  They might contain different voice data from the released product.

• SPR000 - this chip adapts the SP-0256's serial voice expansion bus to normal EPROM chips

I have talked to him about this. I would be willing to do it, but I would be better if there was someone local. I really hate to have someone ship potentially one of a kind components. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/16/2024 at 1:30 PM, Lathe26 said:

I have dumped the EPROMS and they contain the exact same data as the released voice module. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, DanBoris said:

Just published a blog post about the process of repairing this system...

https://dansdigitalarchaeology.blogspot.com/2024/08/odyssey-2-voice-development-system.html

Very interesting read. I didn't know the idea of specialized development hardware was around in the 80s. I figured that they weren't a thing until the 90s when game systems became more complex to develop for.

18 hours ago, The Mr. Video said:

Very interesting read. I didn't know the idea of specialized development hardware was around in the 80s. I figured that they weren't a thing until the 90s when game systems became more complex to develop for.

It was really necessary in this case. The serial ROMs the voice chip used were mask programmed, meaning the data was manufactured into the chip like the rest of the circuits. You had to be pretty sure you had the voice data right before you did this which is even more challenging when dealing with something as subjective as the way a voice sounds.