IGNORED

Looking for info about the Rayman source code from the “Atari Jaguar Source Code Collection”

Hello,

I recently came across a YouTube video named “Atari Jaguar Source Code Collection” where someone shows the content of a disc containing several source codes for Atari Jaguar games.

One of the directories is titled “Rayman”, and I'm curious to know what's in there exactly.

From what I've understood, this disc and its content are kept away from the public, so I'm not asking to get a copy of the disc; but I'm only curious about the file listing of the “Rayman” directory, and eventually the files sizes.

I've been working on and off on the reverse engineering of Rayman 1 for MS-DOS for the past years, so I'm curious to know if an actual copy of the game's source code exists around somewhere in the wild.

Best regards to you all!

Edited by malespiaut
Adding tags.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, malespiaut said:

Hello,

I recently came across a YouTube video named “Atari Jaguar Source Code Collection” where someone shows the content of a disc containing several source codes for Atari Jaguar games.

One of the directories is titled “Rayman”, and I'm curious to know what's in there exactly.

From what I've understood, this disc and its content are kept away from the public, so I'm not asking to get a copy of the disc; but I'm only curious about the file listing of the “Rayman” directory, and eventually the files sizes.

I've been working on and off on the reverse engineering of Rayman 1 for MS-DOS for the past years, so I'm curious to know if an actual copy of the game's source code exists around somewhere in the wild.

Best regards to you all!

i might be able to help with this, i think i might have this cd

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, malespiaut said:

Hello,

Best regards to you all!

My understanding is its just Ataris sound engine in there. No significant source.

Its unfortunate because these and other sources should have been made available to the public years ago. It seems I'm the only one who has shared the sources I have in total regarding these extremists packs. 

The MYST sources are out there, people just hoarding it etc. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, omf said:

i might be able to help with this, i think i might have this cd

Thank you for your time! I can't wait to see what's inside!

5 hours ago, JagChris said:

My understanding is its just Ataris sound engine in there. No significant source.

Its unfortunate because these and other sources should have been made available to the public years ago. It seems I'm the only one who has shared the sources I have in total regarding these extremists packs. 

The MYST sources are out there, people just hoarding it etc. 

Thank you for that information. I'll wait for an actual file listing to make sure.

Alas, if it's only the sound engine, there's sadly not much of use. But I'm still curious to have some details about it.

9 hours ago, malespiaut said:

Thank you for your time! I can't wait to see what's inside!

Thank you for that information. I'll wait for an actual file listing to make sure.

Alas, if it's only the sound engine, there's sadly not much of use. But I'm still curious to have some details about it.

file list.txt

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JagChris said:

What is specifically in the Rayman file?

im not quite sure what was stopping you from downloading the file and using the find functionality from within notepad, anyway it contains this:

to me looks nothing of much use

E:\RAYMAN\DRIVER.S
E:\RAYMAN\DSPCODE.DAS
E:\RAYMAN\DSPTABLE.S
E:\RAYMAN\FULSYN.INC
E:\RAYMAN\INSTENV.S
E:\RAYMAN\INSTSAMP.S
E:\RAYMAN\INSTWAVE.S
E:\RAYMAN\MUS.S
E:\RAYMAN\MUSIC166.ZIP
E:\RAYMAN\MUSICVAR.S
E:\RAYMAN\PATCH.S
E:\RAYMAN\SFX.S
E:\RAYMAN\SFXENV.S
E:\RAYMAN\SYNTH.CNF
E:\RAYMAN\SYNTH.S

9 hours ago, omf said:

im not quite sure what was stopping you from downloading the file and using the find functionality from within notepad, anyway it contains this:

I'm on tablet that doing so was not so simple. 

What's stopping you from sharing those files with the community?

Hello @omf,

Thank you very much for your time! So the Rayman directory only contains Jaguar specific code for the sound driver! I was hoping for the full Rayman source code :P but that's great to see already!

I wasn't expecting the full CD to be released at all! That's a very nice surprise! Thank you very much for that gesture.

With all my sincere appreciation to you all, and my best regards!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, malespiaut said:

Hello @omf,

Thank you very much for your time! So the Rayman directory only contains Jaguar specific code for the sound driver! I was hoping for the full Rayman source code :P but that's great to see already!

I wasn't expecting the full CD to be released at all! That's a very nice surprise! Thank you very much for that gesture.

With all my sincere appreciation to you all, and my best regards!

This is awesome what OMF has done.

It's kinda irksome there are so many downloads and very few likes. He should be winning the day with this contribution. 

Just to close the topic on the original subject, for the curious lurker who might visit this forum post in the future:

The Rayman source code for MS-DOS have “partially” leaked some time ago. I use the word “partially” because that's only the symbols (functions names).

UbiSoft have released a port of Rayman for Android, titled “Rayman Classic” back it 2016. If you open up the APK and throw the exectuable (something called “libSpark.so”, if I remember correctly) into a disassembler like Ghidra or radare2, you'll have all of the functions with their original names. Some of the MS-DOS specific functions, like checking if the computer does have a 486 CPU or higher, have been emptied out. Functions names are in French, and judging only by it, I'm pretty sure that the code is one hell of a spaghetti nightmare! 😜 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, JagChris said:

This is awesome what OMF has done.

It's kinda irksome there are so many downloads and very few likes. He should be winning the day with this contribution. 

welcome to the jaguar community

• Like 1
  • Haha 1