IGNORED

What is happening to my Vectrex and is it repairable?

EnzymeX1983

Hi guys,

I just bought a Vectrex (one of the final pieces in my retro collection) from a legit seller that arrived the day before yesterday. If I recall correctly the first time it powered up it seemed to work fine. However, yesterday I plugged it in and the image was extremely distorted (pictures 1,2,3). The image is skewed, vectors are not aligned, the image is stretched, etc.

I found some info online regarding finetuning the screen, so I adjusted the dials, potentiometers, the DAC offset (shouldn't have done that..) and also the magnets around the tube.

I got to a point where the image was much better (see pciture 4 of vectrex start screen) but there was still distortion in the image. In retrospect I probably shouldn't have done this at all, but I'm stupid...

The weird thing is that today, after yesterday tuning to a better image, the image was again completely distorted, much worse than when I ended my tuning activities (picture.
The seller send me a recording with a timestamp that indeed proves the vectrex was fine before shipping.

It seems the image, although distorted, looks fine and also the sound is very good. I also saw the orange glow from the end of the tube which, if I read correctly, means the CRT is working properly.

My question now are:
Any feedback would be most welcome!

View the images here on imgur: https://imgur.com/a/AlP4SnR

WhatsApp Image 2024-02-11 at 11.55.40 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2024-02-11 at 11.55.45.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2024-02-11 at 11.55.45 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2024-02-11 at 11.55.45 (2).jpeg

mp-yams-41805912e2f440d2947b64c7bf6b90df-image (2).jpg

Edited by EnzymeX1983

Oh hello, I think we spoke on fb earlier.

Mine gets better with use as well, somebody has already replaced most of my caps, but they left some of the odd polystyrene ones and from what I've read they are related to this issue. I plan to change the rest if mine, and double check the replacements chosen