IGNORED

So close to the clear picture on my Grandma's Atari

krambigmac

I've done it all correctly except the RCA Male to Male connector I got from Radio Shack likes the switchbox input but not the Atari's. If I push it against the Atari, it will look great but when I let go, it doesn't keep that tight fit and I don't know why. I did get the Atari used a while ago so maybe the hole was made wider somehow. If that was the case, is there a way to make it tight again? The cord I used from Radio Shack was a 3 ft Digital Audio Cable Item # 42-2679 It says Phono Plug to Phono plug on it but that must be good enough if I'm really close to a good picture. It just won't stay that way when I let go of the wire. I have work and can't respond til tonight but hopefully someone can help.

Thanks.

Get yourself an F-Type to RCA adapter. Radio Shack has 'em; it's basically a small adapter with a male F-type connector (coax) on one end and female RCA on the other. Plug the RF into the female RCA on the adapter and the coax into your cable input on the TV. Presto! Clear picture.

I use it on mine and it works great.

Get yourself an F-Type to RCA adapter.  Radio Shack has 'em; it's basically a small adapter with a male F-type connector (coax) on one end and female RCA on the other.  Plug the RF into the female RCA on the adapter and the coax into your cable input on the TV.  Presto!  Clear picture.

I use it on mine and it works great.

If, as I uinderstand things, the cable won't stay plugged into the Atari, an adapter on the end of it doesn't do much good.

I've done it all correctly except the RCA Male to Male connector I got from Radio Shack likes the switchbox input but not the Atari's.

Are you talking about the RCA cable going from the inside of the Atari out to the switchbox? If so, you'll need to file down the center post of the end that connects to the Atari. It's shorter than a standard RCA connector.

On the left, an original Atari RCA cable. On the right, an RCA - RF adapter. Note the different lengths of the center post.

rfadapt1.jpg

Stupid question but how do I file it down? It's metal, not wood so sandpaper won't work and I don't wanna ruin the thing. And yeah the F Adaptor thing is a non issue for me because of the VCR and Satellite involved. When the cord is in the Atari correctly, it is clear as day since I did do the hookup to the TV but the length of that post must be the problem. I did notice a difference but didn't think it would matter.

Stupid question but how do I file it down?  It's metal, not wood so sandpaper won't work and I don't wanna ruin the thing.  And yeah the F Adaptor thing is a non issue for me because of the VCR and Satellite involved.  When the cord is in the Atari correctly, it is clear as day since I did do the hookup to the TV but the length of that post must be the problem.  I did notice a difference but didn't think it would matter.

Use a plain ol' metal file. It won't ruin it. The sole reason for its existence is to conduct a signal, which it can do with or without a nice, shiny, rounded nub. :-)

Besides. Contact with RCA cables is made at the sides, not the ends, and some female jacks are too shallow to accept a long prong, hence the need to reduce its length.

And get your mind out of the gutter.

Stupid question but how do I file it down?  It's metal, not wood so sandpaper won't work and I don't wanna ruin the thing.

You might also try starting off with a good strong pair of wire cutters. Clip off the end of the post, then file it down the rest of the way. It'll be faster than filing the whole thing.

You might also try starting off with a good strong pair of wire cutters. Clip off the end of the post, then file it down the rest of the way. It'll be faster than filing the whole thing.

OOH! Be careful if you try that. The post is hollow, so it could just flatten and then it won't fit most jacks. It can work, just be careful....

-Chris

If I'm not the best at this stuff, should I just file or try the wire cutters? I don't wanna ruin the cord. It's only 5 bucks but it's the trouble and thats a few less carts I could buy.

Is there any kind of adaptor? I assume no because someone would have mentioned it already but perhaps there's some easy way.

If I'm not the best at this stuff, should I just file or try the wire cutters?  I don't wanna ruin the cord.  It's only 5 bucks but it's the trouble and thats a few less carts I could buy.

Just file it down if you're unsure. It will just take longer.

If you use wire cutters, don't try to cut all the way through in one pass. Crimp it a little, then rotate to another position, crimp again, and work your way around so it doesn't flatten it out (good point there, Chris). Then file it smooth.

If you have a Dremel, that would work best. Then you could either grind or cut it with a cut-off wheel.