IGNORED

Seeking Guidance on Downsizing Retro Game Collection

So, I find myself in a bit of a dilemma and could really use some assistance in making decisions because, honestly, I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed. Over the past 11 years or so, I've amassed quite a collection of retro games. However, my girlfriend and I recently moved after 8 years, and it turns out there's simply not enough space for my entire collection in our new place. It pains me to even consider selling everything, let alone a portion of it. But, believe me, I HAVE to downsize 🙂 .

... As a video editor, VFX artist, and animator, I often find myself waiting for a render, and that's where those quick arcade games come in handy. On the other hand, I could rely on emulators, but I value authenticity. Plus, I despise waiting for a game to load. I just want to flip the switch and start playing immediately. That's why I'm not a fan of mini consoles, RetroArch and soft modded modern consoles. Too much clicking around, loading, and waiting. Yes, I know emulators for classic Atari, NES, Sega Master System, and similar consoles are virtually identical to the original hardware. B ut it's the authentic gaming experience that keeps me glued to the screen. I've installed a Raspberry Pi with all the retro games up to 4 times, but it led to me playing slightly less. The abundance of choices overwhelmed me, and scrolling through folders isn't as enjoyable as selecting a game from the shelf, much like picking a book from a bookshelf.

The SNES, Gamecube, and Sega MegaDrive hold the most cherished memories. Although the SNES has a special place ... if I'm being honest, out of the three, I mostly play Gamecube nowadays. 8-bit and 16-bit games rarely see the light of day around here. In recent years, I've found myself leaning more towards 5th and 6th generation consoles. The Sega Dreamcast, in particular, is one that truly opened my eyes with Shenmue 1 & 2. These games brought tears to my eyes and made me realize the artistic depth of the gaming world. The Sega Dreamcast truly lives up to its name for me. So, it's another console that I find absolutely heartbreaking to part with. 🙂

Oh man. Choosing which consoles to keep is a difficult phase. Consoles like the Philips CDI, Atari Jaguar, 32x, and Vectrex have a distinctive aura, making them particularly meaningful. Simplicity and the 'quick game' arcade principle also contribute to the sentimentality attached to the Atari 2600 and Philips Videopac.

I'm reaching out for suggestions on what to keep! My initial thought is to retain 5 consoles and their games while parting with all the rest. Any insights on how you've dealt with downsizing and the decisive factors in your choices would be immensely helpful.

I realize that this is mostly a problem in my head and not necessarily console-related. But it makes my decisions to thin out the collection even more challenging.

Here's my collection: https://my.puregaming.org/?u=24155861

Please note that the link provided to my collection is for reference purposes only. It directs to a website where I maintain an archive of my games. This archive does not provide a fully accurate representation of my physical collection. Many items such as homebrews, hacks, duplicate games (especially for the Atari 2600), third-party accessories (copiers, converters, controllers) and classic computers like the ZX Spectrum are not reflected in this online archive.

Okay, it's a lot. But I hope somebody can give their opinion 🥲

It sounds like you have a preference for systems already.  If pre-NES systems do not spark joy, I would suggest selling those off first.

For me, the Atari 2600 sparks tremendous amounts of joy since that is the system I grew up with.  When I amassed most of my collection back in the day from thrift storesI also collected for the Intellivision, Colecovision and Odyssey^2 since they were so plentiful as well.  But I found myself never playing those other consoles and all they really did was take up space.  So I sold them off.  No regrets, as it helped me focus better on the Atari 2600 and even stated writing some games for it.  As you mention, if you get an itch to play a particular game I find an emulator works well.