IGNORED

Custom firmware for Atari Gamestation Pro

9 hours ago, big_guitar said:

I just know there are system-specific sensitivities, which is why you see particular apps compiled for specific linux distributions, not so much of a one-size-fits-all... 

It certainly seems the quickest way to try it out if you need to without new partitions etc.

I had a few hours lost uninstalling Mint and recovering the space for some reason. Got there in the end.

I rund Centos on an old laptop for work stuff but looking to see if I can use Ubuntu on WSL to do the same, looks possible given the GCC test. I just need to add in some libraries and see if my code fully compiles. 

4 hours ago, Vic20Ian said:

It certainly seems the quickest way to try it out if you need to without new partitions etc.

I had a few hours lost uninstalling Mint and recovering the space for some reason. Got there in the end.

I rund Centos on an old laptop for work stuff but looking to see if I can use Ubuntu on WSL to do the same, looks possible given the GCC test. I just need to add in some libraries and see if my code fully compiles. 

I suppose there are ways to cross-compile for ARM platforms (since generic compiling on WSL would seem to be for x86_64), although I've seen it suggested to use Docker Desktop to establish an ARM specific shell.

Probably separate from manipulating an image file though, depending on what is being edited in the image.

7 hours ago, big_guitar said:

I suppose there are ways to cross-compile for ARM platforms (since generic compiling on WSL would seem to be for x86_64), although I've seen it suggested to use Docker Desktop to establish an ARM specific shell.

Probably separate from manipulating an image file though, depending on what is being edited in the image.

Cross Compile for Arm

You guys have all absolutely killed it with all the custom firmware and improvements. I posted on another thread how much fun it's been to add retro games to this and have my kids discover them with me. I want to thank everyone for their kindness, generosity and genius. 

I do have a noob-ish question and I apologize if it's been answered, but I combed through the entire thread and couldn't find it. 

My title images look pretty wonky. I am still doing things the slow way (getting the rooms and files individually). I'm grabbing the images from the site provided by @jonreddick and I am resizing them to the recommended 960x186. But many of them just look too big or oddly stretched. Does anyone know of a solution to that?

3 hours ago, AT-ATari said:

My title images look pretty wonky. I am still doing things the slow way (getting the rooms and files individually). I'm grabbing the images from the site provided by @jonreddick and I am resizing them to the recommended 960x186. But many of them just look too big or oddly stretched. Does anyone know of a solution to that?

I think you'd just need to crop the source in a way that closely matches the desired destination aspect ratio, and then resize appropriately (assuming the source images are big enough to start with).  If necessary, you can use tools built into imaging software to sharpen so that the text stands out.  I use irfanview, paint dotnet, and an older version of Lightroom (not free) for editing.

If you use xbox-type controllers, I do have a base template that I use to make custom titles designed to assist with usage instructions.  Of course, that takes a bit more effort and editing for customizing settings for each game.

xboxtemplate_title.png

Edited by big_guitar

5 hours ago, AT-ATari said:

You guys have all absolutely killed it with all the custom firmware and improvements. I posted on another thread how much fun it's been to add retro games to this and have my kids discover them with me. I want to thank everyone for their kindness, generosity and genius. 

I do have a noob-ish question and I apologize if it's been answered, but I combed through the entire thread and couldn't find it. 

Hey, @AT-ATari. A common file manipulation mistake I am seeing people make is forcing the logo to fill the entire 960x186. That's the size of the image, but the majority of it should be transparent with the actual logo sitting somewhere in the middle.

image.thumb.png.60cd9b7344f1e58cfaf2a517131438ab.png

Here's a representation of my Berzerk title image (I'm showing the transparent area with a checkberboard for clarity in this example, but it would normally be invisible). Notice how little of the horizontal space is actually used (maybe half?) and how much pad there is above & below. Of course, you can use any part of this area you'd like, but this strategy will place your custom logo roughly where the included games also place theirs.

[Windows Update] gspgames-062 [full]

mostly informational enhancements.

v 0.6.2

• [View menu option] - View log files for most recent game execution (helps with debugging execution issues)
  • Mark game records trigger status
  • For GAME records, for numeric items, search 'greater than' or 'less than'
    e.g., search "trigger-greater than-0" to view all GUI game entries with trigger references
  • Mark trigger records game reference status and navigation folder compatibility status
  • Provide a 'list' nav panel of triggers loaded/searched within the Trigger Management window
  • fixes & misc improvements

gspgames-062.zip

Edited by big_guitar

23 hours ago, Spanner said:

the GSPGame app need scraping via the internet so it can grab the info, box, title, and screenshot for you and resize them for each game you add.

I have no experience with that or the related libraries that are available, so all of that would take time to get familiar with.

2 hours ago, big_guitar said:

I have no experience with that or the related libraries that are available, so all of that would take time to get familiar with.

I was not saying now, when your ready, off course, things take time to do and you have your life to lead.. :), I know what its like not knowing anything about what you want to make, I never knew anything about Linux before 2020... :) I had to do a lot of looking up stuff about Linux and how to do this and that and my friend helped with a lot of it... :) he had to show how to do things step by step.... :) as I always say "We are only human, we are not a computer" you can only do what you are capable off, I except I can not do everything, its imposable... :) I was always told(in the 80s) when I was a kid "There is not such thing at can't" but there is so I see now how wrong that saying is now, faulting someone to do something they can't do will make them hate it even more, I was never into coding when I was a kid because I hated reading, thats why I didn't like text adventure games, I could never read them or understand them, I like the internet so if it was not for Google and Social Media I would not know how to spell so shows Social Media is a good thing.. :), the only way you lean a new word is if you see it first, not try a spit it, it does not always work because the way the english language is, I still needed to use spell checker to type this... :)

I like working on the consoles more then playing there games anymore, done it and worn the t-shirt over and over, its get boring after a while so need to do something else and maybe come back to it some other time... :) 
We all need a brake from Retro Gaming, thats why I play my PS5, more update games and they are more realistic, like Star Wars Jedi Survivor, a dam big game...:) I like these type of games because of the Batman Arkham
 games by Rocksteady, the Spiderman game is like a clone of them, where you have two Spiderman's in it.

Edited by Spanner

Is there a way to move the box art to a different folder so they are in there own folder so say `Box_Art` folder or do they have to be with the rom all the time, in the app I can not change there folder, they have to be in the rom folder with the rom, I can see that folder getting quite big over time as you add more game roms to it...?

2 hours ago, Spanner said:

Is there a way to move the box art to a different folder so they are in there own folder so say `Box_Art` folder or do they have to be with the rom all the time, in the app I can not change there folder, they have to be in the rom folder with the rom, I can see that folder getting quite big over time as you add more game roms to it...?

With the GSP games interface app, I don't think there is a way, it makes assumptions based on the selected game entry item prefix and folder path 

Hey all, well I think I got my GSP where I need it to be at this time.

I see all this great help on here and with files.

Thank you to everyone for posting fixes and info.

Too many to name but THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!

So this is my rundown of what I got on my GSP as of now. Without the games files you will see my lineup and files.

I must say that SNES games slow up that's why I only have 2 on it for now.

Most of my images I did that long hard way as I am more of a cut and paste guy and can never get that transparent background to work on my titles  for the games I have added.

If you like to fix up my files please go right ahead, but kindly let me know if you do. A lot of the images are from the Lunch Box site and the many fine good people on this forum. Again Thank you in advanced if you do fix things up.

Also I have a few questions is anyone can help out..

1> I have to ask this again has anyone have GSP controller fixes for Discs of Tron to use the paddle on the GSP controller like Super breakout does?

2> Road Runner, Star Wars, Empire arcades is still not great in GSP controller has anyone found a fix for that.

In Splatterhouse is there a way to turn on the BLOOD mode from the GSP, like you can do in Mame

3> 5200, The Last Starfighter ,Star Wars, Pitfall and Kaboom, controls are not great for the GSP controller any fix on the 5200 games?

Enjoy the files... if ya needed some of these I hope I help you out as you all helped me.

M316 Atari backup.rar

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Marky316 said:

1> I have to ask this again has anyone have GSP controller fixes for Discs of Tron to use the paddle on the GSP controller like Super breakout does?

If you mean the Arcade dotron.zip, try using the game record settings with Class Type "6" and Game Type "10".  That combination seems to enable paddle usage with the 2003 mame core.  Can't promise anything, but every other game using 6-10 configuration does allow for paddle usage.  It could be that all that is needed is class type "6"... I think 6-11 also allows for paddle using the 2016 mame core.

[update] - I tested this, and also used the same source folders, it didn't work for me.

Edited by big_guitar
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Marky316 said:

do I have to rename it to dotron.cfg since this is for the Tron disc arcade game?

I tried renaming it, placing under cfg folder, the paddle didn't work for me. 

As it is, he's always throwing to the left.  Is that what the hope is for the paddle, to move that target direction?

I don't think they can both work at the same time, stick and paddle, with the way MyArcade established things.  Probably will work ok with more modern controllers.

Otherwise, would have to configure 2 GSP controllers using a remap file, so that one stick can be used to target the throwing direction.

would have to experiment in mame first to get it in an ideal state.

Edited by big_guitar