IGNORED

Season 15 ~ Week 6 ~ Bronze Medal Winner

Vocelli

1 hour ago, Vocelli said:

Of Note:

Just Corrected 2 Errors that were discovered after posting the Overall Standings Today.

Everything should be correct.

Thanks Everyone for Checking.

I should be on 228 points, 188 + 38 + 2, cheers.

Edited by Jason_Atari

On 2/15/2024 at 5:57 PM, Lauren Tyler said:

Born in Arizona, moved to Babylonia, King Tut

It’s going to take me a while to get this song out of my head. In the meantime, I think I need to read the manual!

IMG_7112.thumb.jpeg.66c8a1ef212bd5a4473dd215b7c00c43.jpeg

Got the Dark Cavern bonus though!

IMG_7110.thumb.jpeg.26032ea615da9a65e416bfb46293aceb.jpeg

Dark Cagern is another common one I don’t have the box for. Also wish I had the 2-piece box for Tutankham!

IMG_7109.thumb.jpeg.4c3674fc1b69664f4730bfc8db1b86b2.jpeg

• Like 3

I guess the problem wasn’t that I couldn’t remember how to play, it was that my joystick button stopped working! Not sure how that happened; maybe I mashed it too hard when my bullets ran out in Dark Cavern

IMG_7113.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Tutankham: 1881

Dark Cavern: 335000

I've noticed the following in Tutankham:

• In open areas, if you're to the enemy's right, it will move up first, then right to get to you.  If you're to the enemy's left, it moves left first, then up.  These movement patterns make it much easier to time your shot if you're to the right of the enemy.
  • I sometimes find a safe spot, and as soon as I hear the sound effect of an enemy spawning, shoot and move.  Another enemy will not spawn (at least on the levels I've reached so far) while the "splat" from the enemy you just killed is on the screen.
  • It is sometimes useful to scroll an enemy off the top or bottom of the screen to make them disappear.
  • The candelabra (last treasure on the 3rd board) is only 5 points and not worth the time or risk.  You get a bonus for time left in increments of 10 points and could very easily lose 10 points of bonus trying to earn 5 points for the treasure.  There are a couple other treasures I usually skip because they are too risky.

I wish I knew a way to consistently get the key on the 3rd and 4th boards without either dying or using a laser flash.  On the 3rd board, enemies often spawn just below the key, even though there is no indication on the map that this is a spawning zone.  It seems pretty random as to whether I'll have an enemy spawn on top of me just after picking up the key.  On the 4th board, I've only successfully gotten the key once without using the laser flash.  I suppose this is fine if it's the only time I have to use a laser flash since it will get replenished at the end of this board.

For Dark Cavern, the first priority is to get ammo when the gun appears and the second priority is to try to kill off all four robots for points and for extra men.  In the early game, after clearing all four robots, you can sometimes hang out above or below their entrance and pick off a few yellows if you get lucky and they spawn on the correct side of the screen.  In the late game, the robots spawn so quickly that you'll be doing good to even kill an orange one.  If low on bullets (5 or less), it's best to not use any bullets unless absolutely necessary.  Instead, wander around the maze (preferably near the center) while waiting for the gun to appear so you can reload.

image.thumb.jpeg.f3198a97387e7c086c9d73e4ce916d87.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.679e2cb44aaa567d3fa98d98eb6d34ea.jpeg

• Like 6

16 hours ago, Keir said:

I guess the problem wasn’t that I couldn’t remember how to play, it was that my joystick button stopped working! Not sure how that happened; maybe I mashed it too hard when my bullets ran out in Dark Cavern

IMG_7113.jpeg

Hopefully you have some spares lying around! Or you can use a Sega Genesis pad if need be.

I personally need it for games like Grand Prix and Turbo Arcade, as holding down the button on the CX-40 for extended periods of time does a number on my thumb!

• Like 3

Another couple of interesting games this week. I must admit I didn't really take to Tutankham. It's certainly very well programmed in its own right, even if imho it doesn't capture much of the spirit of the arcade game. Indeed, this might be one of the first examples of an arcade game where the feel just couldn't be replicated on the 2600 no matter how good the programming was as the hardware gulf was just too big. Taken on it's own merits though, it's really well put together and I can certainly see the appeal. . . . . . . . .. . . It's just not really my thing. 

Dark Cavern though is a bit of a favourite of mine, and is the first great game I "discovered" from playing in the HSC back in my first season. It's just so cleverly done, and shows how some clever gameplay mechanics can create an absorbing game even when the underlying idea is a simple one and there are very few "frills" in the graphics and sound departments. This is likely to be one of those weeks where I do myself no favours in terms of the standings, and spend far more time on the bonus than the main game.

Anyway, that's enough from me. Here are some scores :

Tutankham (1983) (Parker Bros)_3.png

Dark Cavern (1982) (M Network)_2.png

• Like 4