IGNORED

Experimental 2600+ Firmware and Dumper

raz0red

2 minutes ago, JetSetIlly said:

But Stella supports having a hardware AtariVox attached via an adapter, does it not? It would be good if the 2600+ joystick ports were supported for that purpose.

That should work, yes. But the 2600-daptors are USB adapters and AFAIK the USB port of the 2600+ might not work here. Or did anyone have success with these? 

1 minute ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

That should work, yes. But the 2600-daptors are USB adapters and AFAIK the USB port of the 2600+ might not work here. Or did anyone have success with these? 

Aren't the joystick ports on the 2600+ normal Atari ports in size and shape? So whatever changes to Stella have been made so it can work with the 2600+ game ports should be enough to support a hardware AtariVox. Or maybe the changes only deal with incoming signals from the ports and don't yet handle outgoing signals.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JetSetIlly said:

Aren't the joystick ports on the 2600+ normal Atari ports in size and shape? So whatever changes to Stella have been made so it can work with the 2600+ game ports should be enough to support a hardware AtariVox. Or maybe the changes only deal with incoming signals from the ports and don't yet handle outgoing signals.

There is no technical reason why bitbanging I2C would not work on the 2600+.

But Stella supports having a hardware AtariVox attached via an adapter, does it not? It would be good if the 2600+ joystick ports were supported for that purpose.

Are we talking about adaptors or not?

Anyway, the AtariVox or SaveKey are not supported by Libretro/RetroArch. And these are between Stella and the ports.

17 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Are we talking about adaptors or not?

My point was that if Stella supports the AtariVox via an adapter it's not unreasonable to believe it could support the AtariVox via the 2600+ joystick ports.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JetSetIlly said:

My point was that if Stella supports the AtariVox via an adapter it's not unreasonable to believe it could support the AtariVox via the 2600+ joystick ports.

Maybe the SaveKey part (but that depends on Libretro). But the Vox part is not part of Stella and currently cannot be emulated correctly.

Most users won’t bother getting adapters or OTG cables and another usb to DB9 connection to be able to use controllers anyway.

I probably would but that’s me. It took awhile for me to finally decide to get what I needed for paddles to work on my Retron 77.

I didn’t want to be bothered with all that I just wanted to be able to use the DB9 ports. After getting what I needed and seeing how it worked amazed me. Works Great! I’m sure a lot of time and effort was put in to making it happen.

Only thing is adapters aren’t easy for most users to purchase. And the adapter I purchased is no longer in production.

My point is use the DB9 connectors for all controllers even if it means releasing a second version of the 2600+. This is what most users would purchase. The Flashbacks have been doing this for years. And we keep buying.

The only difference is the Atari 2600+ is way ahead of the Flashbacks in my opinion.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Maybe the SaveKey part (but that depends on Libretro). But the Vox part is not part of Stella and currently cannot be emulated correctly.

It wouldn't need to be emulated, the AtariVox hardware would perform the Vox part.

Stella can currently put the correct information onto a serial bus and instruct the AtariVox to produce Vox output.

On a desktop computer the serial bus is a USB device and requires a Stellapaptor or similar. However, I'm suggesting that the serial device could just as well be the 2600+ joystick ports.

As @CPUWIZ says, there's no technical reason why bitbanging the I2C data wouldn't work.

• Like 1

On 6/11/2024 at 11:27 AM, TornadoTJ said:

Probably Trak-Ball too, I can test this later.

I can attest that Trak-Ball does work in Joystick mode. Since there has never been an original 2600 game that utilized true trackball, I didn't think to mention it, but you're certainly correct that true Trackball is not yet emulated for those homebrews that utilize it.

34 minutes ago, NicodemusLegend said:

I can attest that Trak-Ball does work in Joystick mode. Since there has never been an original 2600 game that utilized true trackball, I didn't think to mention it, but you're certainly correct that true Trackball is not yet emulated for those homebrews that utilize it.

Yeah, I'm hoping to get 7800 Centipede TB to work. I'd like to sell off my 5200 collection, but I keep it for Centipede and Missile Command with the 5200's Trak-Ball.

• Like 1

I was playing venture (PAL) this morning and surprisingly, the sprites disappearing issue happened again. Since I couldn't record it with that game, I tried Dark Chambers and as can be seen in the video, from time to time the sprites half disappear.
I disabled all the functions that could be affecting the performance of my television and I even tried it on the rest of the televisions in my house but the problem persists, curiously it has only happened to me in long gaming sessions, however when I turn on the console after days without Using it does not present this problem.
I'm afraid that there are still problems with the 50Hz rendering or with the use of the console's memory, since in games with fast action like yars' revenge or crystal castles, apart from the problem of sprites disappearing I have also come to appreciate slowdowns after playing for about half an hour.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AtariYMás009 said:

I was playing venture (PAL) this morning and surprisingly, the sprites disappearing issue happened again. Since I couldn't record it with that game, I tried Dark Chambers and as can be seen in the video, from time to time the sprites half disappear.
I disabled all the functions that could be affecting the performance of my television and I even tried it on the rest of the televisions in my house but the problem persists, curiously it has only happened to me in long gaming sessions, however when I turn on the console after days without Using it does not present this problem.
I'm afraid that there are still problems with the 50Hz rendering or with the use of the console's memory, since in games with fast action like yars' revenge or crystal castles, apart from the problem of sprites disappearing I have also come to appreciate slowdowns after playing for about half an hour.

Just curious, are you using the HDMI cable that came with the 2600+? 

Edited by MrChickenz

2 hours ago, AtariYMás009 said:

First, make sure you are on the experimental firmware, not the beta. All non-experimental versions have an issue where they will skip rendering frames due to the inefficient rendering of the core RA video driver with this particular hardware (that is what was causing the original disappearing sprites issue).

If you are on an experimental build, if possible, try on another television (or better yet a computer monitor) and see if you can reproduce the issue. Similar issues have been reported a number of times, and in all cases, it has been the particular television (and/or its settings) that were causing it.

I will also test it a bit later today and see if I experience any issues. 

Thanks,

Chris.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, raz0red said:

First, make sure you are on the experimental firmware, not the beta. All non-experimental versions have an issue where they will skip rendering frames due to the inefficient rendering of the core RA video driver with this particular hardware (that is what was causing the original disappearing sprites issue).

If you are on an experimental build, if possible, try on another television (or better yet a computer monitor) and see if you can reproduce the issue. Similar issues have been reported a number of times, and in all cases, it has been the particular television (and/or its settings) that were causing it.

I am using the latest version of the experimental firmware and dumper and, as I said, I have tested three different televisions, omitting any adjustment that could interfere with their performance and still I found the same problem, both the disappearance of sprites such as slowdowns (in long game sessions).

Regarding @MrChickenz question, yes I am using the original HDMI cable.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, AtariYMás009 said:

I am using the latest version of the experimental firmware and dumper and, as I said, I have tested three different televisions, omitting any adjustment that could interfere with their performance and still I found the same problem, both the disappearance of sprites such as slowdowns (in long game sessions).

Regarding @MrChickenz question, yes I am using the original HDMI cable.

Ok, makes sense. I will test it today and see if I can reproduce.

Thanks,

Chris.

Edited by raz0red
  • Like 3

I noticed Omega Race now works with this latest update.  I'm wondering if anyone who has this game with the booster grip has tested it to see if that accessory works.  I don't have the booster grip.  Is anyone out there who does?

2 hours ago, Bitsized said:

I noticed Omega Race now works with this latest update.  I'm wondering if anyone who has this game with the booster grip has tested it to see if that accessory works.  I don't have the booster grip.  Is anyone out there who does?

Oh good. I just bought omega race after experiencing the CBS wizard of wor and thinking it was pretty amazing.

I don't have the grip, and I have no idea what i'm gonna do to make the game work.

I do have a unusual dual controller that I got made on etsy, That I use for stargate, robotron, and spy hunter. So, i'm wondering if I could use that.

Edited by tradyblix

Also, it would be nice if we could get save key working, Because I would like to save my high scores in juno first.

Having it tell me that it supports savekey every time it starts is really annoying.

Edited by tradyblix

On 6/14/2024 at 9:53 PM, tradyblix said:

Also, it would be nice if we could get save key working, Because I would like to save my high scores in juno first.

Having it tell me that it supports savekey every time it starts is really annoying.

Unfortunately it only works retro style! For now.

IMG_0768.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

On 6/14/2024 at 6:40 PM, Bitsized said:

I have the game and the booster grip, but I have not updated the system yet. I will update once I decide to get the system flashed.

• Like 1