IGNORED

Experimental 2600+ Firmware and Dumper

raz0red

37 minutes ago, Spanner said:

Weird, Google Chrome is say the file is dangerous and stopping you from downloading it...

I hate Antivirus Software sometimes, alot of the time get it wrong.
image.thumb.png.296f79a35bd01402eb57d3f4f3f28731.png

Go to "Downloads" option window under Chrome...

image.thumb.png.3c2742828cf9c14c6874f3b04cd55ea3.png

...a new window tab with open, presenting a list of files downloaded, and an option for the file(s) in question to "Keep Dangerous File"...lol.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

Windows 11 runs just fine on older PCs.

A 30 second google search shows results that demonstrate how to install Windows 11 on non-supported devices with relative ease. 

The reason they went with only “officially” supporting hardware with TPM 2.0 and up is because they want people to be smart and encrypt their drives to prevent data theft. It’s always been one of the biggest loopholes in Windows. 

I am running Windows 11 23H2 on a 11 year old PC, its a ASUS H61 and has a Intel i5 3470S and 8GB Ram, Windows 11 Update does not change its build on unsupported PCs, you have to change it manually by updating it with its .iso image file, I was stuck on the same build 21H2 for 2 years.
and Microsoft has not removed the restrictions so stops the install if you do not have TPM 2.0 so have to use Rufus to install it.

Edited by Spanner
  • Like 1

Just now, Thomas Jentzsch said:

When they will stop supporting or even blocking non-compatible CPUs. Maybe tomorrow, maybe never.

You realize they could have done this with any of their OS all the way back to XP if they wanted to, right?

The TPM requirement has nothing to do with CPU speed or support and everything to do with MS covering their asses from getting sued because unencrypted data theft in a real, constant threat in 2024. 

9 minutes ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

You realize they could have done this with any of their OS all the way back to XP if they wanted to, right?

Not in my country.

9 minutes ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

The TPM requirement has nothing to do with CPU speed or support and everything to do with MS covering their asses from getting sued because unencrypted data theft in a real, constant threat in 2024. 

Where did you get this info? How often got M$ sued for Windows 10 for this reason?

1 hour ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

That’s always an option. 

No offense intended, but if you want to be the kind of gamer who also tinkers with experimental firmware and upgrading/downgrading with test versions on devices like this, having a windows PC is kind of a necessity. Mac OS gets nearly everything last, if at all. 

Im not going to get into whether that is fair or not, but it was a choice you made buying a Mac. 

For example: I’m an iPhone user. I made the choice consciously to purchase one knowing that the options to tinker with experimental builds or plug in external storage etc, wasn’t really an option like it is with Android phones, unless I wanted to invalidate the warranty. But I was fine with that, because it’s not really that important to me. 

if fiddling with stuff like this is important to you, then you might want to consider getting a cheap Windows PC. 

No offence taken, I just find it annoying when people who cannot answer the question because they have nothing to do with the actual decision suggest buying or getting access to a Windows machine. That isn’t an answer to the question “Will this update be available to Mac users?” That’s the answer to the question “how can I install this experimental firmware (note I have a Mac)?” Anyone following links from the initial page can see it’s an update that presently requires Wiindows. The correct answer would be “currently this experimental firmware has an installation process that only works on Windows.” Any way to pin that or add it to the thread description in the hopes it might reduce the queries and limit thread derailment?

1 hour ago, jj_0 said:

You could try this for the firmware upgrade https://github.com/Jerzha/RKDevelopToolGUI (which has a pre-compiled binary). But that still doesn't help with the dumper upgrade.

Note you will have to unpack the firmware to get the MiniLoaderAll.bin that you need to upload to the device before you can update the firmware.

Would this work on Windows too ?, If I use the RKDevTool.exe it does not see the Atari2600 Plus on Windows 11, no `Found One MASKROM Device` its just blank, I managed to get it to see the dumper by it having 2 USB Cables plugged in to the PC from the Atari2600 Plus, using a USB A to A cable plugged in the USB OTG port, the micro USB port on the 2600 Plus main board and its USB-C cable plugged in to the PC too, this might be down too how much power 2600 Plus is getting from the PC when its looking for MASKROM Device in the RKDevTool.exe and why it updated the dumper OK, I did try it with 2 cables but it still couldn't see it.
Still can't figure out why the RKDevTool.exe can not see the 2600 plus, when it should, weird.

Edited by Spanner

4 minutes ago, Spanner said:

Would this work on Windows too ?, If I use the RKDevTool.exe it does not see the Atari2600 Plus on Windows 11, no `Found One MASKROM Device` its just blank, I managed to get it to see the dumper by it having 2 USB Cables plugged in to the PC from the Atari2600 Plus, using a A to A cable plugged in the USB OTG port, the micro USB port on its main board and its USB-C cable plugged in to the PC too, this might be down too how much power 2600 Plus is getting when its looking for MASKROM Device in the RKDevTool.exe and why it updated the dumper OK, I did try it with 2 cables but it still couldn't see it.
Still can't figure out why the RKDevTool.exe can not see the 2600 plus, weird.

The A2600+ needs to show up in Windows device manager, if it doesn't do that then no tool will work.

Specifically on  https://github.com/Jerzha/RKDevelopToolGUI, that won't work, the forntend might be in Python but the actual upgrade tool it includes (rkdeveloptool) is compiled for MacOS.
I did compile rkdeveloptool (https://github.com/rockchip-linux/rkdeveloptool) for Windows but it still doesn't work probably because it uses the Zadig/libusb drivers and not the Rockhip ones for Windows.

28 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

News to me. Where did you get this info?

I misspoke. MS has required all new PCs that ship with Windows 10 to have TPM 2.0 since 2016.

either way, you can install Windows 11 on any PC even without TPM. It takes a few really easy steps to accomplish. 

if you’re worried about MS taking away your OS based on your hardware, I don’t know what to tell you. It’s never happened yet, and I can’t see why they would. They’re not the “Evil Empire” everyone makes them out to be. More like Incompetent boobs driven by profit and lawyers.

I really doubt Microsoft will disable a PCs that already have an OS installed.  To my knowledge this has never been done before.  Sure, they will frequently install "updates" that basically just tell you your OS is obsolete, but I have yet to see a Microsoft update intentionally brick a PC (at least going back to the Windows NT era).  That would cause outrage around the world.

But it is getting to be a bigger pain in the butt to install newer Windows 11 OSs on systems that are not 100% in compliance.  Some recent motherboards will allow for a fresh Windows 11 installation but are not elligible for the "auto Windows 10 to Windows 11 upgrade" that the newest PCs have available. 

Those that are looking for a cheap Windows PC to do firmware upgrades with, I'd heartily recommend a "renewed" Dell OptiPlex 7020 PC, available here for $174 and comes with Windows 10 Pro:  https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Optiplex-Computer-Quad-Core-i7-4770-3-4GHz/dp/B07TWJCW6H/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3AELESWJN8B80&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.HJEDtEPlU3EzfmQSO01gb7dvgIGeAx1PZ2Qw61Lj1nAGupMGD_H-ccOcEQH2FonKDk_WaXO3QTVDHf69efE3O9G3Yxj7Iz3xkARy6FRZSFHHLcsbCRD-JH2CERoaNW0STtCkob5V_uhIEYIKqgSlSvVvGTx4QM9xKMG6xJXkGJj4Y9oDpd2evTAieX_ijNPU9-uZ40OCMgKdx7T5Con76xlJ1DqKaYOhkU-xY6Dztag.Ss3A11ugtkEUL1bvhkheue7JQ_8XykBYzHyifB1EKkw&dib_tag=se&keywords=dell+optiplex+7020&qid=1708967715&sprefix=dell+optiplex+7020%2Caps%2C150&sr=8-3 

There is a new update, see first page for downloads:

1.1x-r2:

• SC-RAM cartridge support (Aardvark, etc.)
    • Click audio fix (Pitfall!, Fishing Derby, etc.)
    • Game-specific fixes:
      • Brik180 (Joystick and Paddle support)
      • Spike's Peak (NTSC)
      • Polaris (PAL) (Uninitialized  BCD mode, @Thomas Jentzsch fix applied)
      • Maze Craze fix (force NTSC)

• Updated NTSC palette (thanks @Trebor)
    • Game-specific fixes:
      • Support for Diagnostic Cartridge variant

Edited by raz0red
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 8

1 hour ago, jj_0 said:

The A2600+ needs to show up in Windows device manager, if it doesn't do that then no tool will work.

Specifically on  https://github.com/Jerzha/RKDevelopToolGUI, that won't work, the forntend might be in Python but the actual upgrade tool it includes (rkdeveloptool) is compiled for MacOS.
I did compile rkdeveloptool (https://github.com/rockchip-linux/rkdeveloptool) for Windows but it still doesn't work probably because it uses the Zadig/libusb drivers and not the Rockhip ones for Windows.

You might have just found the problem, I plugged my 2600 Plus in the PC and it didn't ask you to install any drivers so it might be using the Zadig/libusb drivers because I have installed them on the PC already before, could it be using them and why its not seeing it..?
If you look in Device Manager when you plug in the Atari2600 Plus you see it refresh it to show a new device has just been added, but I can't find it in there, I think its a composite device because that all I see under USB in the manager.
FEL Mode uses the Zadig/libusb drivers too with Allwinner boards(THEC64 Mini, SNES Mini)

Edited by Spanner

41 minutes ago, raz0red said:

1.1x-r2:

• Game-specific fixes:
      • Spike's Peak (NTSC)

• Game-specific fixes:

Eureka! Confirming that Aardvark works with build 1.1x-r2.

IMG_3997.jpeg

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, MrChickenz said:

Is the Experimental 2600+ firmware able to be reverted to Beta 1.1 Rev2? I haven’t installed the Experimental firmware yet! It seems to be positive so far!

Yes, you should be able to go back, you flashing over it NAND so it should be OK, you just changing it back to how it was before.

so if you flashed `Beta 1.1 Rev2` and want to go back to `Beta 1.1 Rev1` then flash it over it and it be back to how it was when it was running `Beta 1.1 Rev1`... :)

Edited by Spanner
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Spanner said:

Is this the Atari2600 Plus on the PC when you hold down the Reset button and its on Colour, its saying Unknow Device, never saw it before, maybe because I changed Win 11 from 21H2 to 23H2...?

USB\VID_2207&PID_310C\7&DC03DFF&0&5

Try different USB ports 2.0 or 3.0 I’ve had different results switching USB ports.

2 hours ago, Spanner said:

Yes, you should be able to go back, you flashing over it NAND so it should be OK, you just changing it back to how it was before.

so if you flashed `Beta 1.1 Rev2` and want to go back to `Beta 1.1 Rev1` then flash it over it and it be back to how it was when it was running `Beta 1.1 Rev1`... :)

Yes. You can always roll back the firmware and the dumper . Even to the original. 👍

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, raz0red said:

1.1x-r2:

• Game-specific fixes:
      • Spike's Peak (NTSC)

• Game-specific fixes:

Tested Brik180 with paddle in 2nd port and it works🤙

How ever you should have selected Color as in position B/W it will start the game in PAL mode and give you a corrupted screen.

NTSC mode works fine.

Again the low paddle input resolution let the paddles jump.

The game plays better with a joystick as your paddle moves smooth.

Could compare it with a 2600 Jr tomorrow but it feels the same as with other games like Super Breakout or Kaboom, I'll see.

20240226_215300.jpg

20240226_215209.jpg

Edited by DEANJIMMY

On 2/25/2024 at 12:16 PM, Plumbob said:
IMG_9344.thumb.jpeg.5cced4554aa166259c73daf0ad418dca.jpegI recently acquired a newer HERO2 cart and I noticed that it has a green PCB whereas my older copy of HERO2 has a purple one. So there appears to be two different variations. I was delighted to find out that the green one does work on the 2600 plus!   I’m running with version 1.1.0.9, 1.1x-r1. Both carts are NTSC. 
Btw, There is a demo .bin file of this game from the publisher for those who are interested in checking it out: 

I previously posted the debug info for the purple variation that isn’t dumping correctly in the 26+. Here is the debug info for the green version that does work, just incase this is for some reason helpful in anyway:

IMG_9340.thumb.jpeg.5895d636066dc65b0e2b58e5e7f9e960.jpeg

I have the green board HERO2 cart and still cannot get it to boot on the 2600+.  Using the latest dumper and 1.1x-r2.  Not sure the board has anything to do with it?

On 2/20/2024 at 10:54 PM, AtariYMás009 said:

I have to say that I'm also using my 2600+ on a crt, but via a hdmi to composite adapter, and that didn't give me any lag and the games are fully playable and as smooth as on an HD TV

Same thing here too