IGNORED

JagFest 2024 coming June 28-29 in Rochester, MN

Songbird

• 4 weeks later...

@Songbird So how are tickets going to work? Are we going to get a "ticket" sent to us by email sometime before the event?

Just wondering, because when I check my order, it says "on hold".

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, jeremiahjt said:

Any new games announced yet?

Not just announced, but released!

IMG_2594.thumb.jpeg.e592ba3f7634007bc0ff6e559b300dbf.jpeg

Very fun takeoff on Asteroids with a different and enjoyable feel to it. Lots of people were playing it continuously from the time it was released.

• Like 12

There are a few T-shirts left. The shirts and all the JagFest exclusive releases are first being offered to the Virtual Supporters for the next 1-2 weeks, then whatever is left will go on the public site.

We'll have videos uploaded for most games eventually. It will take some time, as my kitchen is now filled with boxes which I need to sort through and put away. Appreciate your patience.

It was a great show! So much fun to meet fans in person and play some games together. Thanks to everyone who made the trip and all our Supporters too! :)

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Zeptari said:

Will this be offered as a paid digital download in the future? 

Carl talked about this somewhat at JagFest... the issue is that the carts are only really financially doable with professional printing etc. for at least a couple hundred carts' worth of paper products if a certain number of them (say 75+) sell. If authorized digital downloads cannibalize cart sales, as they are likely to, it would leave Carl with a bunch of unsold stock. He is thinking how to approach it. Maybe some games wouldn't get physical releases at all or maybe digital downloads would be an option after a hundred physical copies sell, or something.

16 minutes ago, jgkspsx said:

If authorized digital downloads cannibalize cart sales, as they are likely to, it would leave Carl with a bunch of unsold stock.

This is an unfortunate situation, how about waiting up to a year to sell digital? @Songbird This will give time for hardcore collectors grab all the physical carts. And contact @CyranoJ on how to "Lock roms to Skunkboard / GameDrive / BigP Emu only. This will not work if you try to make a cartridge from it."  Some of us Jag fans play on BigPEmu and want to support the future of Jaguar developments.

Waiting a year doesn't help if Carl spent $3000 on boxes and labels and manuals and PCBs and shells and only sells $1000 worth of games. I don't know the details of the financing but I know that professional printing is not cheap or easy.

• Like 1

Bundle the physical copy with a Digital download 😉 

I dont think that Digital Downloads would harm physical sales. Hardcore Fans will probably buy both anyway. Collectors always want physical media. But you will get new consumers, like people without original Hardware or people that hesitated to buy because of high prices and shipping Costs. There are a lot of people with flashcards intetrested in new games, just for playing the games. 

• Like 3

Digital downloads would absolutely harm physical sale through. I only buy physical to dump the ROMs and play on Skunk/GD. I don't have the space for that many cartridges, so I pack them all away ina closet, and I opt for no box/manual when possible.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

I don't know the details of the financing but I know that professional printing is not cheap or easy.

Since I went through this myself once, the problem is entirely in quantity. Boxes, manuals, and labels are pretty cheap to have made (IIRC, $10-20 of cost per unit combined, depending on quality and features, of which there are a surprisingly large array if options)... If you're buying in quantities of about 1000 and can find place willing to do numbers even that low. Minimum orders are usually at least 300-500 because it's not worth the labor to generate proofs, stop and reconfigure the machines or if needed for things like labels, create a die at least the first time around to cut them, for anything less. Many companies I approached either didn't quote at all when I told them my numbers, or kindly responded saying they didn't do anything less than 1,000-10,000 units.

Realistically, you're selling like 100-200 copies for Jaguar games in initial runs, and either writing off the rest of your box+manual+label materials, or hoping they sell through over the next decade. As has been said before, it's a labor of love. No one independently developing or publishing for the Jaguar, Lynx, or likely even the 2600 is getting rich. At best, it's maybe a part-time job for someone doing something massively successful like the game drive may have been. For the rest, it's a hobby that breaks even or affords you an excuse to attend some events and invest in new tools/equipment if you're lucky.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, cubanismo said:

Digital downloads would absolutely harm physical sale through.

I don’t own a Jaguar. Unfortunately I sold mine over 20 years ago. So there would be no physical sale from me, but a digital sale, that could be gained from me.