IGNORED

In Search of the Golden Skull and Jerry Lawson

classicgamer74

As some of you know, I am a high school teacher.  As this is Black History Month, and I do teach at an inner city school, I have been telling my students about Jerry Lawson.  I found it sad that many of my students, and colleagues haven't heard of him and his many contributions to the video game world.  In recent years, I am happy to say that Mr. Lawson is getting some credit and recognition.  I hope that as time goes, this does continue.

I have showed my students many of the games that he did create or have a part in, everything from the Fairchild Channel F to the 3D Ghost game.  I hope that someday, the rom for In Search of the Golden Skull will be available so that what appears to be his best work, can be played.  I know that with roms it is sometimes questions of legal and copyright issues.  I just hope someday that the rom of this game can be made available to the general public.  Maybe some day.

• Thanks 1

I want to back this up as well. I run a nonprofit that, among other things, puts on public video game history exhibits. We have an upcoming exhibit at Game Developers Conference where we had hoped to represent at least one Black creator's voice and, while we could have chosen another of Lawson's games, this one seemed the most kiosk-friendly and interesting. I had played it at CGE 1999 and just assumed it was available, and was disappointed to learn that it is not.

I would be happy to discuss with the current owners of the ROMs what their options might be through an organization like ours, and whether we might finally find a way to let fans and students experience this work. Lawson's place in history is too important to risk the loss of what, as the OP said, might be his best work (or at least, the most visually striking).

8 minutes ago, TheRedEye said:

I want to back this up as well. I run a nonprofit that, among other things, puts on public video game history exhibits. We have an upcoming exhibit at Game Developers Conference where we had hoped to represent at least one Black creator's voice and, while we could have chosen another of Lawson's games, this one seemed the most kiosk-friendly and interesting. I had played it at CGE 1999 and just assumed it was available, and was disappointed to learn that it is not.

I would be happy to discuss with the current owners of the ROMs what their options might be through an organization like ours, and whether we might finally find a way to let fans and students experience this work. Lawson's place in history is too important to risk the loss of what, as the OP said, might be his best work (or at least, the most visually striking).

I've tried talking to various people and museums, with Tempest's help, but it seems that the only person who may have the rom is ultra busy and is unavailable.  I hope that there are some other people out there that might have it and will be willing to share.  

The rom was dumped along with AD&D Treasure of Tarmin and Anteater at CGE 1999 and is in the possession of the person who backed it up for Keith and the BSR.  I'm not sure why it can't be released as I don't believe there are any copyright issues involved (unlike ToT or Anteater), but I was told that it couldn't be released without permission.  Given that Atari now owns the M-Network games maybe this will change, but until then it appears that it will not be available.  The two screenshots and brief gameplay description on my page are about all that's out there AFAIK.  I wasn't at CGE 1999 (I think 2000 was my first one) so I didn't get a chance to see it in person.

I would certainly like to see this released, but two things come to mind here...

1.  This game was apparently developed by VideoSoft, but has it been definitively established that Jerry Lawson personally programmed this game (as opposed to one or more of the other programmers working for him)?

2.  Is there really much more going on in this game than what we can see in that one widely circulated screenshot?  I thought the rumor was that the game was never finished and only a playable demo was produced?  Exactly how "playable" is this thing?

• 4 weeks later...

I'm just hoping someday it does get released to the general public.  As an inner-city school teacher I find it sad that not only do several of my students not know about Jerry Lawson, but also he himself is not remembered overall is one of those talked about during Black History Month.  I was happy to be able to share his story with my students and the students in my school.  My video on my YouTube channel has also spread the word as well as that great documentary that was on Netflix.  If it wasn't for him, gaming wouldn't be where it is today.  I just hope with time he will truly get the recognition he deserves.  

• 1 month later...
On 2/21/2024 at 9:42 PM, Tempest said:

Given that Atari now owns the M-Network games maybe this will change, but until then it appears that it will not be available.  The two screenshots and brief gameplay description on my page are about all that's out there AFAIK.  I wasn't at CGE 1999 (I think 2000 was my first one) so I didn't get a chance to see it in person.

Is "In Search of the Golden Skull" among the games Atari now owns the rights for?

Otherwise, if this is still sheltered by the Blue Sky Rangers, then it will be more likely remain unreleased for quite a while.

https://history.blueskyrangers.com/mnetwork/goldenskull.html

50 minutes ago, N0mi said:

Is "In Search of the Golden Skull" among the games Atari now owns the rights for?

It should be.  Unless somehow the rights were retained by Videosoft but I doubt it.