IGNORED

PC: PSU or GPU failing?

Tickled_Pink

A couple of weeks ago I started to get some boot problems with my PC. It would seem to boot but fail to display something. After a couple of attempts it would usually start up properly. Then I started to get glitches in Assetto Corsa Competizione, usually in night races, where cars would disappear, I'd get big frame stutters and the other cars' lights would go out. It seemed to settle down a bit once there were fewer cars in the immediate vicinity later on in the game.

Last night the PC failed to boot at all. No activity whatsoever. So just spent a few hours stripping it apart and cleaning off the mountains of dust. Managed to bend the pins in my Ryzen in the process but luckily discovered the "stanley blade" method to straightening them out again. Anyway, put it together and it was alive but still the same issue with failing to show any display much of the time. Found my RX 570, put that in and everything seems to be okay.

I bought the RX 6800 XT back in July so it's still under warranty but I'm not able to pin down for certain whether it's that or if the PSU is failing. It's a 650W Corsair PSU that I bought when I first put this machine together. As I recall, the Gigabyte AORUS motherboard I have was a new release and it was released in late 2018. So, it's coming up to 6 years old. Anyone have ideas which one it's most likely to be?

Well I am of 2 minds on this based on your troubleshooting.

1) The recommended PSU rating for that card should be 750W minimum so the card is possibly power-strangled. The card itself can draw up to 300W under load. The 650W PSU is perfect for the RX 570 even under full load.

-OR-

2) The RX 6800 XT is artifacting and dropping frames as well as incorrectly displaying graphics. The RX 570 works fine. USUALLY that points to the GPU being bad. (One works correctly but one doesn't)

In this case I personally would buy a 750W PSU or higher - never hurts to go above recommended specs in the case of a PSU - and try that first. Kills 2 birds and all that. You should have one anyway for that card AND it's likely to be the faster of the 2 repairs to attempt. If you still have an issue RMA the card.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, that's something I'll probably do. I have developed an issue with the sound on my motherboard as well but everything else seems to be okay. Probably got screwed up with all the on/off/on/off BS. Just seen a deal on a refurbed 750W Corsair modular PSU (the one I have was a refurb). At the end of the day, I don't want to send the GPU back only to be told it's working.

Edited by Tickled_Pink

Hopefully that fixes it! Let us know.

I love going completely overkill on PSUs. I have a 1000 watt in mine and because it’s barely ever tapped, its fan never kicks on. Sweet, sweet silence. 🤣

• Like 1