IGNORED

Season 15 ~ Weeks 8 & 9 ~ Tigervision

Vocelli

5 hours ago, fakecortex said:

So I’m playing Threshold for the first time, and I notice that I don’t see my score. I think, oh, the score must pop up at the end, interesting. And then…

IMG_1168.thumb.jpeg.7b71200d4e657634685b1292f02479c1.jpeg

I’m pressing the button, moving the joystick, flipping switches…nothing. Hmm. Let me turn on my little Sharp crt…

IMG_1169.thumb.jpeg.f0f5a8ec9c40efa39833f0cbf845264a.jpeg

Oh! What is that tiny sliver of black on the top left? I check others’ screenshots…yup, that’s my score. Great, both of my crts don’t make the threshold. I lost the remote to the Sharp, can’t access the menu, and don’t think that’ll make a difference anyway. And I’m not gonna mess around with the vertical hold on my Zenith. I don’t wanna emulate this…one last test- the Samsung DLP that I also have hooked up in my game room (yet rarely use). Bc I love experimenting with hookups, I have cables running between everything so I can just pop it on and…

IMG_1171.thumb.jpeg.b30e8ee60009280b18c4969dee96439f.jpeg

There we go! Jeeeeez. So you’re telling me, there were likely people buying this game when it came out who were unable to see their score? I am using a Harmony cart for it tho, so perhaps something is different with the file. If anyone is using an original cart on a crt, I’m curious what your experience has been. 

Anyway, I’m gonna give it another go now, tho I am not a fan. The enemies are so erratic, I miss more than I hit 🙄 I will continue to play on my Zenith; there’s the slightest lag on the dlp *grumble* #CRTElitist 

I tried playing on my CRT with the Harmony cart. I got to see the score, but it was upside down?

• Confused 1

23 hours ago, fakecortex said:

So I’m playing Threshold for the first time, and I notice that I don’t see my score. I think, oh, the score must pop up at the end, interesting. And then…

I’m pressing the button, moving the joystick, flipping switches…nothing. Hmm. Let me turn on my little Sharp crt…

Oh! What is that tiny sliver of black on the top left? I check others’ screenshots…yup, that’s my score. Great, both of my crts don’t make the threshold. I lost the remote to the Sharp, can’t access the menu, and don’t think that’ll make a difference anyway. And I’m not gonna mess around with the vertical hold on my Zenith. I don’t wanna emulate this…one last test- the Samsung DLP that I also have hooked up in my game room (yet rarely use). Bc I love experimenting with hookups, I have cables running between everything so I can just pop it on and…

There we go! Jeeeeez. So you’re telling me, there were likely people buying this game when it came out who were unable to see their score? I am using a Harmony cart for it tho, so perhaps something is different with the file. If anyone is using an original cart on a crt, I’m curious what your experience has been. 

Anyway, I’m gonna give it another go now, tho I am not a fan. The enemies are so erratic, I miss more than I hit 🙄 I will continue to play on my Zenith; there’s the slightest lag on the dlp *grumble* #CRTElitist 

Yes same for me, also on a Harmony (Encore) and on an Emerson near the end of the tube era :( The score does not display at all. I do have the remote but there is not a setting for vertical position. 

Edited by 5x7
  • Sad 1

Improvements on all three. I'll probably have a go at improving further on Jawbreaker and Threshold in the course of the week, but don't think I can stomach playing River Patrol again. I had another go on it to see if I was too harsh on it first time around. I wasn't 🤢🤣

Jaw Breaker (1983) (CCE)_3.png

River Patrol (1984) (Tigervision)_1.png

Threshold (1982) (Tigervision)_4.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 3/9/2024 at 6:33 PM, fakecortex said:

I also tried a different crt, and it had the same issues with the missing score. IMG_5337.thumb.jpeg.6cbd5d9d14180e4369d1de256c17f1fc.jpegIt’s a scan line problem: 

Edited by 5x7
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Jawbreaker

Did you know?  You can hold down the fire button to stop your jaws!  Example: When no enemies are around, move your jaws toward the vitamin pill.  Press and hold the fire button to stop your jaws right in front of the vitamin.  Wait for an enemy to come.  At the last moment, release the fire button.  Your jaws will gobble up both the vitamin and the enemy in two quick chomps!  

River Patrol

Positive Reviews Moby Games

"It’s a real treat when an obscure 2600 title not only turns out to be a pleasant surprise, but also winds up being a port of an arcade game I had never heard of before.Woodgrain Wonderland

"River Patrol has a lot of originality, and it's actually quite enjoyable once you get the hang of it."  Video Game Critic

"While it may never be a main staple in any gamer's daily 2600 diet, River Patrol is nevertheless a serviceable action-simulation which possesses enough unique features to win the hearts of many gamers."  Atari HQ 

Edited by Living Room Arcade
  • Like 2

Jawbreaker 18760

Threshold 9780

River Patrol 13800

Maybe I can improve on Jawbreaker

In River Patrol the first stages you can slow down to save man. Saving a few in a row is needed for a good high score. In the later stages is a matter of getting quick to the finish because the boat sinks much quicker. 

Treshold is just too hard for me, especially the home seeking bombs.

Tigervision apperently loved randomness in their games. That makes these hard to practice.

20240309_183515.jpg

20240309_112645.jpg

20240309_120836.jpg

Edited by Jim Hopper
  • Like 4

new scores for all 3 games.

Threshold, game 3: 13890

So far, I haven't got a real strategy for this game, but many frustrating moments 😃

Jawbreaker: 18500

the best "game" out of the 3, but far away from being a fun game.

River Patrol: 14860

coincidence seems to be the best suiting word for the game. In level 1 my scores vary from 1200 to 4000 points. once in a while you have a good run.

IMG_20240312_171708_584.jpg

IMG_20240311_180821_883.jpg

Screenshot 2024-03-07 20.07.04.png

• Like 3

Been battling a bad cold for a while, getting back into the swing of things:

Threshold: 9,080 (I didn't realize it was PAL until I took the screenshot.)

Jaw Breaker: 12,080 (Have no idea why it says CCE when I've seen no sign of their logo.)

River Patrol: 3,460 (That song is the Atari 2600 equivalent of the main theme from the NES game Castlequest... and let me tell you, I absolutely hate Castlequest!)

Threshold (1982) (Tigervision) (PAL).png

Jaw Breaker (1983) (CCE)_1.png

River Patrol (1984) (Tigervision)_1.png

• Like 2

Threshold: 39720

Jawbreaker: 28780

River Patrol: 4490

Threshold is an okay game.  I'm not sure I'll ever get used to my previous bullet disappearing when I take my next shot.  Other similar games (Space Invaders, Demon Attack, etc.) don't let you shoot again until your shot has either hit something or goes off the top of the screen.  I guess Threshold has the benefit of when you whiff, you don't have to wait to fire again.

I like Jawbreaker.  It has a good ramp up on difficulty and a challenging level 8.

I'm not a fan of River Patrol.  The music is annoying and the boat sprite is much bigger than it needs to be.

image.thumb.jpeg.14671ecd0ab4b4eb975ba089d84b68c7.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.92ecdb77b36bdbcf1d9e7318900dee8e.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.5c81213382078fd17e738f93a78e68e9.jpeg

• Like 3