IGNORED

Adventures of Tron help (Ron Corcoran)

ScottHuggins

Perhaps I'm one of the few whom really like this game...but I'm not so good at it. it sure gets hard quick. The tanks start in on screen three and it gets pretty darn tough. My best score is 23500. That's miserable compared to Ron Corcoran's high score (996,800) on the Twin Galaxies website. Sheez, how'd he do that?

Any of you guys like this one? Got any tips?

Thanks,

Scott

Adventures of Tron is phenomenal! I know it gets very little press... most people don't care for it but I think it's a stellar 2600 title.

I've only managed about 35k so far but I always enjoy playing and trying to best my high score.

As for the tanks... make sure you know that you can press DOWN anytime to drop a level - it took me a few games to realize you can drop down at any point to avoid being hit which allowed me to survive a few tank levels.

Ron- thanks...yeah, I'd be super interested in that.

llabnip - thanks, I actually never knew you could drop down a level or two or three without using that beam thing in the middle. That'll help immensely.

Manual - glad to see you post that message (in addition to mine) on video game critics' website saying he shoulda given AoT a much higher grade than a D. Still cannot believe that.

Hi there!

Manual - glad to see you post that message (in addition to mine) on video game critics' website saying he shoulda given AoT a much higher grade than a D.  Still cannot believe that.

Yeah, it should be at least B or better. We need to continue bugging him :D

It's way better than most comparable platformers on the VCS, but one really needs to invest some time to get into it.

Greetings,

Manuel

• 2 weeks later...
Perhaps I'm one of the few whom really like this game...but I'm not so good at it.  it sure gets hard quick. The tanks start in on screen three and it gets pretty darn tough.  My best score is 23500. That's miserable compared to Ron Corcoran's high score (996,800) on the Twin Galaxies website.  Sheez, how'd he do that?

Any of you guys like this one?  Got any tips?

Thanks,

Scott

Yeah, I like this one. It does get pretty hard quick, but after 10 levels or so I think the difficulty level stabilizes and it doesn't get any harder. If you can develop a pattern on these levels, you could probably play for hours. I've never really tried this and usually get toasted after a few minutes on these high levels.

i used to play this game all the time, nice fast paced action and your constantly moving

my highest score is around 96,300 or something close to that, i was so pissed when i died all i wanted was the 100,000 mark :D

and i think i quit playing after that high score .. heh

O.K., here it is. This is a simple guide to help you on your way to mastering Adventures of Tron for the VCS. You will not find any super secrets or devine guidance. What you will find are tips and techniques Todd and I use whenever we play this title. :)

Basic Game Notes:

- This game is very tricky if you have a BAD joystick. So make sure the one that you are using is A-OK.

General Strategy:

- PATIENCE is the key to winning at this game. Most players want to rush thru each level. This will get you killed quickly in the upper levels.

- Remember, in a pinch you can always go to the center and drop down a level or use the platforms if things become a little rough.

- Pay careful attention and don't land on anything that will kill you.

- You can control your decent a bit by pushing up to slow down your rate of decent and then pull down to regulate your speed back to normal after a death.

- Most enemies are in groups of One's ,Two's and Three's (just like in KeyStone Kapers). You must time your jumps so you make it with out touching anything.

- Use the Elevator Platforms. You can push up while on the platform. Or you'll have to wait. Either way, dont panic. If worse come to worse, look for an arrow or go to the center and Drop if your on an upper level to escape from being killed.

- Be aware that once you drop from an upper level you can't avoid the enemies below if they are directly below you. Again, you will die if your timing is off or rushed.

I/O Beam Strategies:

Gathering the necessary items to lite up the I/O Beam (center bar) can be tough, so here are a couple of pointers.

- Never get too anxious, timing is everything

- Learn where your enemies come out. This is helpful so you dont get pinched on the wrong side where they come out by grabbing the arrow.

- Learing how to jump with out killing yourself. This is key and you're going to have to learn this for the later stages which get much faster.

- Remember, those Tanks are unforgiving when they shoot. So you must time your jumps between those bullets and the actual tank it self.

We hope this helps. Following these basic tips and strategies can help you achieve better scores. Just remember, the key is patience. Try not to rush or force a bad position. Use you head, pay attention to what's happening on the screen and by all means, learn the game's behaviours. Knowing when and where an enemy will appear is the difference between good and great scores. :)

• 1 year later...