IGNORED

CPM/Z-80 card for the 1090XL -- Calling anyone with Z-80 experience!

10 minutes ago, Geister said:

Oh BTW, my stent placement was successful as should be obvious...or maybe I'm posting from the afterlife?  In any case...great news and kudos, you deserve them.

Good to hear it all went well! 

13 hours ago, reifsnyderb said:

Next version of the boot and utility disk:

cpm10b.atr 130.02 kB · 5 downloads

Changes:

Printer support added but needs tested.

Attract mode now disabled.

Hi Brian,

What type of printer interface is supported, SIO or parallel  Does it just talk to the P: device and whatever is hooked up gets the output?

I was wondering if this could use the PDF output of a FujiNET since I don't have anything retro to print to except a toothless 1027.

5 minutes ago, Geister said:

Hi Brian,

What type of printer interface is supported, SIO or parallel  Does it just talk to the P: device and whatever is hooked up gets the output?

I was wondering if this could use the PDF output of a FujiNET since I don't have anything retro to print to except a toothless 1027.

It uses CIO, so it just talks to the P: device.

54 minutes ago, reifsnyderb said:

It uses CIO, so it just talks to the P: device.

It sounds like a FujiNET device would be the perfect addition to an Atari with a 1090 either as SIO device or as a 1090 card.  Thomas Cherryhomes take note.

Then we just need an 8088 card for DOS compatibility or a 65816 card for an accelerator.  Gee why didn't somebody think of building an expansion chassis before this *cough*ATARI*cough*?

Kidding aside, this could have changed the map back in 1984/5, but probably wouldn't have changed to outcome of the computer wars.  But us die hard Atari users would have been in Fat City...

5 minutes ago, Geister said:

Then we just need an 8088 card for DOS compatibility or a 65816 card for an accelerator.  Gee why didn't somebody think of building an expansion chassis before this *cough*ATARI*cough*?

Kidding aside, this could have changed the map back in 1984/5, but probably wouldn't have changed to outcome of the computer wars.  But us die hard Atari users would have been in Fat City...

Yes, I don't think it would have made much of a difference. By 1984/5, CP/M had already lost to MS-DOS. They tried with CP/M-86, but they were too late. As for running MS-DOS on an x86 daughterboard, Commodore tried it with their CBM-II line (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commodore_CBM-II ), BBC Master had a 80186 board running DOS Plus (MS-DOS compatible), Apple ][ had the AD8088 card, but all failed to gain enough traction.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Geister said:

It sounds like a FujiNET device would be the perfect addition to an Atari with a 1090 either as SIO device or as a 1090 card.  Thomas Cherryhomes take note.

I've got a prototype board for a 1090 FujiNet.  I am pretty much on my own to get it working, though.  So, it could be a while.

• Like 3

I want to get a prototyping board to go back to my lab automation days at Air Products and Chemicals and build an A to D and D to A board.  I bought a used Gas Cabinet controller from back in the day so I've got a lot of hardware to play with.  Maybe I can use the pneumatic controllers to activate real world stuff? 

Ok, I just made a couple discoveries. 

1.  I may have broken something when I added the format command.  Everything works fine with the Hias SIO.  But isn't working with Atari's stock SIO routines.  I could have sworn it worked fine with Atari's SIO routines.  I'll have to track this one down.

2.  While the screen does work in 40 columns, CP/M was clearly designed for 80 columns.  When the starts to scroll, in 40 columns, screen corruption can result. 

I'll post an updated boot disk soon.

• Like 2

On 6/10/2024 at 11:01 AM, ivop said:

Yes, I don't think it would have made much of a difference. By 1984/5, CP/M had already lost to MS-DOS. They tried with CP/M-86, but they were too late. As for running MS-DOS on an x86 daughterboard, Commodore tried it with their CBM-II line (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commodore_CBM-II ), BBC Master had a 80186 board running DOS Plus (MS-DOS compatible), Apple ][ had the AD8088 card, but all failed to gain enough traction.

It may not have changed the overall map of the computer environment, but it might have changed the map for Atari.  I don't think interest in CP/M was that dead then or now, else why did the C128 have CP/M as an option and why are people building retro systems to run CP/M today?  Why are they bulding MS-DOS systems today?  To play with a nearly dead OS for fun (and profit?)  I think you are a bit more negative than you need to be about the idea.  But congrats on the 20/20 hindsight and thanks for the history lesson.  At 71, I was barely there for any of it (maybe it was the drugs?).

12 hours ago, reifsnyderb said:

Ok, I just made a couple discoveries. 

1.  I may have broken something when I added the format command.  Everything works fine with the Hias SIO.  But isn't working with Atari's stock SIO routines.  I could have sworn it worked fine with Atari's SIO routines.  I'll have to track this one down.

2.  While the screen does work in 40 columns, CP/M was clearly designed for 80 columns.  When the starts to scroll, in 40 columns, screen corruption can result. 

I'll post an updated boot disk soon.

Thanks for the update.  I'm still trying to figure out how to get RespeQt to work on Mint with a USB port so I can make physical copies of your disk. 

15 minutes ago, Geister said:

Thanks for the update.  I'm still trying to figure out how to get RespeQt to work on Mint with a USB port so I can make physical copies of your disk. 

I tried RespeQt, first, didn't get it working, then was able to get AspeQt working, for some reason.  Somewhere, in there, I used a different SIO2PC device, too.  So it's possible RespeQt may work.  Either way, it's no fun to get working on Linux.

Posted (edited)

Here's the new CP/M boot disk image.  A major bug was found and fixed.  There is still the occasional long pause when using stock SIO.  So, if it pauses when loading, just wait some seconds and see what happens. 

Some, basic, error handling has been added if there is a critical failure and text cannot be displayed.  To see the "error code", the 80 column card needs to be disabled or removed to do so as it's screen color changes.  (Disable the 80 column card by booting with the shift key held down.)

Error color codes:

Gray:  Error during initial closing of IOCBs

Gold:  Error opening E:

Orange:  Error with CONOUT

Screen border will be red.

cpm10c.atr

Edited by reifsnyderb
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

Do you have real disk drives?

Of course!  🙃   I just did a diskcopy, within the CP/M system, to make a real floppy disk to run a test.  I noticed the only pauses were with the SIO2PC side of things.  Real hardware seems fine.

Okay, so real disk 1 to real disk 2 and back is just fine, it's SIO 2 PC usb that is experiencing timing/failing issues.

Did you ever try RespoQT again after finally getting AspeQT to install?

Is USB your only serial avenue, or could you build a simple RS232 SIO 2 PC?

Edited by _The Doctor__

2 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

Okay, so real disk 1 to real disk 2 and back is just fine, it's SIO 2 PC usb that is experiencing timing/failing issues.

Did you ever try RespoQT again after finally getting AspeQT to install?

Is USB your only serial avenue, or could you build a simple RS232 SIO 2 PC?

Real drives seem to be working great, now.  Format, sys, diskcopy, it all appears to work fine.

I just got RespeQt working again last night.  I was initially thinking the problem with version 1.0b was related to my using SIOV.  Since RespeQt shows more information about the SIO connection I figured I'd try it again and it worked.  Long story short, I finally traced the problem back to some botched IOCB code I wrote.

USB is my only avenue without digging out yet another computer.

• 3 weeks later...

Brian,

You have mentioned before that the 320K ram card does not work with the CPM card.  You said that the CPM card works with the 64K card which I don't have.  Does the CPM work with any other RAM including that in the 800XL?  Would it work with the 64k ram expansion for the 600XL?

I have looked on your tindie site and do not see the 64K 1090 card offered yet.  Will this card be for sale soon?

Finally, does the 320K ram card co-exist peacefully with the 64K ram card?  Does the 64k card provide any bank selected ram to the 800XL when plugged in or is it soley used by the CPM card?

Thanks, Michael 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Geister said:

Brian,

You have mentioned before that the 320K ram card does not work with the CPM card.  You said that the CPM card works with the 64K card which I don't have.  Does the CPM work with any other RAM including that in the 800XL?  Would it work with the 64k ram expansion for the 600XL?

I have looked on your tindie site and do not see the 64K 1090 card offered yet.  Will this card be for sale soon?

Finally, does the 320K ram card co-exist peacefully with the 64K ram card?  Does the 64k card provide any bank selected ram to the 800XL when plugged in or is it soley used by the CPM card?

Thanks, Michael 

Hello,

The 320k card would not work with the original CP/M cards and the original CPM card(s?) used shared memory on a legacy 64k card.  This new CP/M card will work fine with a 320k card on a modern remake of the 1090XL.

The new CP/M card has 64k of available memory on-board.  When installed with a 320k card, it will work fine.

I do have some of the legacy 64k card re-make boards available.  I built one up and can confirm that it would not work correctly with the modern CP/M card.  Oddly enough, I also discovered the legacy 64k cards will not function properly with other cards when in 1064 mode.  The legacy 64k cards also do not function as per the manual.  Looking at some pictures, I believe Atari had another 64k card that used the Freddie chip.

Best Regards,

Brian

• Like 3