IGNORED

7800 Mega controller adapter question...for the experts

doubledown

So I understand the purpose of the 7800 Mega controller adapter...use SMS or Genesis controllers & light guns on the 7800...with bonus features when used with the 7800GD, and 7800 games programmed to make use of the extra/available buttons...can use them....got it.  But I have a question with regards to 2600 game compatibility.  In the description in the AA store:

"In normal operation the Mega 7800 lets you play 2 button 7800 and 2600 games with a more comfortable pad."

Is this supposed to mean that you can play 2-button 7800 games...and (plain Jane) 2600 games (assuming all 2600 games are 1 button games, as that is all that "original" games were programmed with)...or does this mean you can play 2-button 7800 games and 2-button 2600 games...i.e. those homebrews/hacks programmed to make use of the Joy2b+ spec (Genesis controller compatible)?  

Thanks in advance for any insight that can be provided.

Edited by doubledown

I only have one example to share.  I had to disconnect the Mega7800 in order to successfully use 2 Genesis pad buttons for the 2600 game Princess Rescue (one for jumping, another for shooting fireballs).

It only functioned as a 1-botton controller with the Mega7800 plugged-in on Princess Rescue.  (That game can work with 1 button, as you push up to perform the second function.)

It DOES work just fine for all normal 1 button 2600 games.

I imagine that going forward, new 2-button 2600 games will know how to look for the Mega7800 and adjust accordingly.

19 hours ago, MattelAquarius said:

I only have one example to share.  I had to disconnect the Mega7800 in order to successfully use 2 Genesis pad buttons for the 2600 game Princess Rescue (one for jumping, another for shooting fireballs).

It only functioned as a 1-botton controller with the Mega7800 plugged-in on Princess Rescue.  (That game can work with 1 button, as you push up to perform the second function.)

It DOES work just fine for all normal 1 button 2600 games.

I imagine that going forward, new 2-button 2600 games will know how to look for the Mega7800 and adjust accordingly.

Thanks for the info.  

Anybody else here own one of these adapters?  Anybody who does, have you tried it with a 2600 2-button games?  Is the developer of the adapter, or the person who wrote the description for the listing in the AA store, here who can confirm it use/functionality?

19 minutes ago, doubledown said:

Thanks for the info.  

Anybody else here own one of these adapters?  Anybody who does, have you tried it with a 2600 2-button games?  Is the developer of the adapter, or the person who wrote the description for the listing in the AA store, here who can confirm it use/functionality?

I have one of the 1st releases of the Mega78 but I've not really tried to use it with my double-D controller since I mainly got that adapter to use Genesis style controllers with it.

41 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

I have one of the 1st releases of the Mega78 but I've not really tried to use it with my double-D controller since I mainly got that adapter to use Genesis style controllers with it.

Well I'm curious to know, if, with a Genesis controller (as it's intended to be used with), will it work with 2-button 2600 games...or, only 2-button 7800 games, and regular 2600 games (1-button).  

14 minutes ago, doubledown said:

Well I'm curious to know, if, with a Genesis controller (as it's intended to be used with), will it work with 2-button 2600 games...or, only 2-button 7800 games, and regular 2600 games (1-button).  

With a Genesis controller it only works in 1 button mode for 2600 games and as a standard 2 button controller with 7800 games. The reason I got one is to use with my 7800GD cart since with a Genesis controller, there are additional functions that the mega78 is programmed to do such as bring up the on screen menu for save states cheats or exit back to game menu selection from the 7800GD.

But I've not tried my ITC controller you made with it. My guess is that it would likely not work properly when switched to 2600/SMS 2 button mode and work like a standard 2 button controller in 7800 mode for 7800 games and 1 button mode for 2600 games through the adapter. Since it would be seen as a standard pro-line controller setup.

5 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

With a Genesis controller it only works in 1 button mode for 2600 games and as a standard 2 button controller with 7800 games.

Gotcha.  That is what I was looking for.  Like I said, just the way it is worded in the AA store's description, and the way my brain interprets ("the Mega 7800 lets you play 2 button 7800 and 2600 games"), one could infer that it lets you play 2-button 7800 games and 2-button 2600 games...and I was just curious.  

1 minute ago, doubledown said:

Gotcha.  That is what I was looking for.  Like I said, just the way it is worded in the AA store's description, and the way my brain interprets ("the Mega 7800 lets you play 2 button 7800 and 2600 games"), one could infer that it lets you play 2-button 7800 games and 2-button 2600 games...and I was just curious.  

Well I've not really tried to use my mega78 with any of the 2600 games that support 2 button mode that I think about it. Pretty sure I still have those test roms you sent me for this and I can try that out late to be sure? 

Again, for most games I've been using my ITC controller and only in testing or specific use cases have I been using my Mega78.

I can't believe with so many of these adapters sold (as much as I see people mention loving them)...no one has tried this on a 2-button 2600 game!?!  🤔

@-^CrossBow^-...if you get a chance, try it out and let me know your results...thanks in advance.  

51 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Again, for most games I've been using my ITC controller

As I would expect! 😁

• Like 1

5 hours ago, doubledown said:

Thanks for the info.  

If you post in the 7800GD support sub-forum, you'll reach the Mega7800 developer: SainT

@doubledown Okay so I checked this out on my 7800 just a bit ago.

Without the Mega78 my ITC controller and a standard Genesis controller will work on 2button games and the genesis controller test program will show buttons B and C not active but come active when pressed as expected.

However, with the mega78 a Genesis controller is detected properly, but 2 button mode doesn't work as it just shows C always being pressed in the genesis controller test program. Same results on my ITC controller.

So does that help at all?

So it sounds like it doesn't work for 2600 2-button mode/games.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it should, or it has too...I was just over thinking the description perhaps.  Thanks for checking!

10 hours ago, doubledown said:

So it sounds like it doesn't work for 2600 2-button mode/games.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it should, or it has too...I was just over thinking the description perhaps.  Thanks for checking!

This is correct. With an actual Genesis controller attached, button A and button B on the controller both act as the main fire button through the Mega78. In the Genesis test program, it will light up for button B when you press either A or B on the genesis controller through the Mega78 while button C always shows as being active. So... nope, the mega78 is not compatible with those 2600 games that have been programmed for 2-button sega support and the 2-button support is strictly for 7800 games and I would assume 2600 games specifically written to look for and use the Mega78.