IGNORED

Atari 2600+ vs Retron 77 the honest opinion

doctor_shred

21 hours ago, Glorkbot said:

If you want to play roms I think you'd be better off with a Raspberry Pi than a Retron 77.

Definitely not.  Retroarch switch controls for the 2600 are absolutely terrible, paddles hardly ever work properly and any other controllers besides joystick and paddles are non-starters.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rodney Hester said:

Definitely not.  Retroarch switch controls for the 2600 are absolutely terrible, paddles hardly ever work properly and any other controllers besides joystick and paddles are non-starters.

This is a fair point. I wasn’t thinking about paddle or keyboard controlled games. For standard joystick games, I’m still in the camp of Raspberry Pi, but if paddle games using actual paddles are important then the 77 has the advantage for ROMs. 

I suppose in the end there isn’t a single option that covers every single scenario perfectly. 

Closest to covering everything would be a fully refurbished original 7800, with an A/V mod and a Harmony cart for roms. 

it’s about what is most important to you. 

my setup with a 2600+ for carts and my raspberry pi for roms covers what I want. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rodney Hester said:

Well, I guess if you want to use ROMs then using Stella on your computer would be better than either the Retron 77 or the Raspberry Pi. You can use original joysticks, paddles, keypads with a pretty inexpensive adaptor. Or any modern controller you want.

When I do play on Raspberry Pi I usually just use an 8bitdo Pro controller. If i want to play a paddle game i plug the paddles into my computer and play on Stella instead.

(I'm not sure what you mean by switch controls. You mean like, the difficulty switches and stuff? I'm pretty sure you can set them to be whatever you want.)

Edited by Glorkbot

33 minutes ago, Glorkbot said:

Well, I guess if you want to use ROMs then using Stella on your computer would be better than either the Retron 77 or the Raspberry Pi. You can use original joysticks, paddles, keypads with a pretty inexpensive adaptor. Or any modern controller you want.

When I do play on Raspberry Pi I usually just use an 8bitdo Pro controller. If i want to play a paddle game i plug the paddles into my computer and play on Stella instead.

(I'm not sure what you mean by switch controls. You mean like, the difficulty switches and stuff? I'm pretty sure you can set them to be whatever you want.)

I can't conveniently hook my computer to the TV in the living room, hence the R77.

Yes, difficulty switches and the like - RA doesn't treat them as toggles and instead wants them to basically be an on/off switch.  I made modifications to the core to make that better, and all two people who use the core yawned politely and moved on.  *laughs*

The R77 is updatable with Linux or Mac; thus far the 2600+ is Windows only.  This matters for some.

The 2600+ looks nicer & has a better build quality & of course 7800 compatibility.

As previously mentioned, R77 is pot luck to get a unit that won't glitch out with updates.  Mine suffered lockups after updating (reverted back).  Even with the original firmware; it's still an option worth considering IMO.

Even if you opt for the R77  adding the new +joystick & +paddles are absolutely worth it.

The Gamestation Pro won't play any carts & currently doesn't support any cx40 style controller (it's included stick is flacky with maze games often missing turns).  Adding games to the SD card couldn't be easier.  Windows only firmware updates as well.  If you don't mind using modern controllers only, no carts, non classic aesthetic, Win only updates; it's the superior choice.

I've all three & still dont know which I like best but the R77 sees the least daylight fwiw.

3 minutes ago, suspicious_milk said:

The R77 is updatable with Linux or Mac; thus far the 2600+ is Windows only.  This matters for some.

The 2600+ looks nicer & has a better build quality & of course 7800 compatibility.

As previously mentioned, R77 is pot luck to get a unit that won't glitch out with updates.  Mine suffered lockups after updating (reverted back).  Even with the original firmware; it's still an option worth considering IMO.

Even if you opt for the R77  adding the new +joystick & +paddles are absolutely worth it.

The Gamestation Pro won't play any carts & currently doesn't support any cx40 style controller (it's included stick is flacky with maze games often missing turns).  Adding games to the SD card couldn't be easier.  Windows only firmware updates as well.  If you don't mind using modern controllers only, no carts, non classic aesthetic, Win only updates; it's the superior choice.

I've all three & still dont know which I like best but the R77 sees the least daylight fwiw.

Atari 2600+ all the way...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/12/2024 at 11:51 PM, MikeM_ said:

I was under the impression that the Retron77 couldn’t play any Activision carts. Has that changed? I don’t own one so I can’t say for sure.

Just to touch on this since I didn't see anyone else address it, but I have "first generation" Retron 77 (if such a thing exists, I got mine when it first came out). One of the first things I did on it was play Seaquest, Pitfall, and Dolphin. All three of them worked. Perhaps later revisions of the hardware/firmware include some kind of lockout of Activison's games at the request of the company or something?

55 minutes ago, Radio F Software said:

Just to touch on this since I didn't see anyone else address it, but I have "first generation" Retron 77 (if such a thing exists, I got mine when it first came out). One of the first things I did on it was play Seaquest, Pitfall, and Dolphin. All three of them worked. Perhaps later revisions of the hardware/firmware include some kind of lockout of Activison's games at the request of the company or something?

I assumed the OP was referring to some sort of limitation of the dumper.

44 minutes ago, Rodney Hester said:

I assumed the OP was referring to some sort of limitation of the dumper.

I wasn’t sure where the issue existed. I just assumed as much, since multiple reviews I’ve seen have claimed issues with Activision games on the 77. 

Perhaps it’s not a consistent issue.