IGNORED

i can't get my atari 2600 to work

BangStang

So about a week ago, I was visiting family down in Southern Florida and as I'm driving through my aunt's neighborhood, I notice a yard sale. So, I figured I'd stop just for the hell of it. I was looking around and nearly knocked over some junk and two kids playing with the junk as I ran towards an Atari 2600 and a bunch of games that were sitting on a table. For $7, I got the 2600 system, the cable that goes from the system into a wall outlet, two joysticks, and 8 games.

I get it back to my aunt's house and try to connect it and it doesn't work. So I figure maybe it's just her tv....I get back to my house in VA and try connecting it to every tv I can find, but I can't get the damn thing to work. I try pushing every variation of buttons on my tv and vcr and the atari...I try connecting the system to every hole and orifice on the tv and vcr. I'm getting close to madness trying to get the stupid thing to work.

Does anyone know if maybe I'm missing a cable or know of an exact way I can hook it up?

Are you sure that the power supply works? It's ridiculously easy to short out the original ones (if it's plugged in the wall before you plug it into the machine, for example).

And the exact way is to plug the RCA-tipped wire from the 2600 into the ANTENNA IN connection on the TV or VCR. You'll need either a switchbox or an RCA-to-F adapter to do that.

I'd betcha anything it's the power supply. Easy fix. Go to Radio Shack and get a universal power adaptor, the one with all the different little plug types and the selectable power ratings. I think the 2600 was 9 volt if I'm not mistaken, but READ the bottom of the thing and find out for sure. Anyway, that's usually the problem with the 2600, as the rest of the system was put together pretty damn well and was very sturdy and reliable. If that's a no go for some reason, scope out some used game stores. I've seen them going for 20 bucks with 2 joysticks and some games, so you may have to shell out a little more, but it'll be worth it! :)

I hope the power supply does the trick. I know first hand all about scrambling for the next days searching for solutions that will fire up that 2600!

I remember getting my recent 2600, doing a complete teardown/cleanup, and finding this site. Then started the "how do I", "where are those" type of threads. You'll learn alot here.... Welcome!

The power supply for the Atari 2600 is 9 volts, 500mA, tip positive. But, since the Atari uses a 7805 voltage regulator to generate the 5 volts needed for the TTL logic, you can probably get away with anything from about 7 volts to 35 volts. I would try to keep it as close to the original 9 volts as possible, however. Also, keep in mind that a lot of the original power adapters aren't really that great, and several of the ones I have run a little more than 9 volts, some even as high as 18 volts (with load). Without a load, those adapters can range all sorts of weird voltages. In other words, the Atari isn't picky about voltage, but make sure the polarity is correct, and that you are using DC current (not AC!). I have even rigged my Atari to run off batteries during a blackout.

If you are unsure as to wether or not your power supply works, test it with a multimeter. If you don't have a multimeter, you can just connect a Christmas tree light bulb between the tip and the ring. If it lights, the power adapter is good.

As for the video output, the signal produced by the VCS is an RF signal, just like TV cable. You have to connect it to the antenna or cable input of the television set (NOT the A/V jacks!). You can do this with the original switchbox, or for better picture, you can get a female RCA to F connector adapter from Radio Shack (about $2), and use that. Make sure the TV is on channel 2 or 3 (depending on the switch setting on the Atari).

Good luck!

Ian Primus

ian_primus@yahoo.com