IGNORED

CV controllers in 2024

Yesterday I fixed my CV after it started to display video in tinges of yellow/brown a few years ago … been busy so couldn’t fix it earlier.

Anyhow fyi my CV has the 5v ram fix, the composite AV mod via 318 opamp and l modified the power to use 3 elcheapo wall chargers to generate 12/5/-5 internally (the chargers pcbs sit inside the case at the front left, just before the controller bays, can even see the 3 leds from the grille when connected to mains).

I have 2 std controllers but one is a little shot and I don’t enjoy using the working one either, also have 2 sac again one shot and not enjoying using the working one much at all.

Is there any modern controller replacement for the CV? I was hoping in not too expensive options.

Are the white Adam ones any better?

Edited by phoenixdownita

I believe the only option for a modern (non-vintage, OEM or 3rd party) ColecoVision controller, is going to be one built by somebody...nothing mass produced by some company...especially if you want full "ColecoVision" compatibility (Joystick, 2 to 4 buttons, & a 12 button keypad).  I make several variations, mostly "arcade joystick" types, and there are a few others that make them too...BDRetroMods, RetroGameBoyz...some of theirs as joysticks, some as NES knock-off control pads...some have full keypads, some only offer 1 or 2 keypad buttons.  Keypad necessity of course depends on what games you're playing, and if you're playing "infant" level 1 games, or level 3 or 4 games...which are the variations that are more considered to be "arcade" difficulty...for adults.  

The OEM ADAM controllers are pretty much exactly the same as the ColecoVision hand controllers.  With the exception of any ADAM controller found in the wild, may have been used less, previously, than it's ColecoVision counterpart.  

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, doubledown said:

I believe the only option for a modern (non-vintage, OEM or 3rd party) ColecoVision controller, is going to be one built by somebody...nothing mass produced by some company...especially if you want full "ColecoVision" compatibility (Joystick, 2 to 4 buttons, & a 12 button keypad).

No converter for Jag controllers? 
Or the SNES NTT data pad? Or the famicom network controller?

They all have at least 2 fire buttons and a full keypad, not sure how complex the protocol translation ought to be … the collectorvision phoenix could use the ntt snes one if memory serves but maybe it’s not protocol translation.

Edited by phoenixdownita

4 minutes ago, phoenixdownita said:

They all have at least 2 fire buttons and a full keypad, not sure how complex the protocol translation ought to be … the collectorvision phoenix could use the ntt snes one if memory serves but maybe it’s not protocol translation.

On could be made using something like an arduino, some optocouplers to separate voltages, and various other parts.  There is already code to read a snes type controller, so the rest wouldn't be too hard.  Even easier if you just cared about the direction and fire and use a wire cable to connect an original controller for the keypad.

29 minutes ago, phoenixdownita said:

Well as you asked for a modern (assuming that meant new, available, manufactured product) controller option, no there isn't.  A modern converter/adapter (again, assuming new, available, manufactured product) for a ~30 year old Jag controller, or the rare-ish Famicom/Super Famicom control pads with keypads...also no.  Can something be done for any of these scenarios...of course, but nothing you can just find and buy...that I know of.  

Years and years ago...I made 9 Jaguar to CV controllers, 1 Jaguar Pro to CV SAC controller, and 1 Famicom Network Controller to CV controller, as conversions.  But they were all internally hand-wired to work only with the ColecoVision (and compatibles).  Like @evg2000 says...some sort of adapter could be built, by someone who has the knowhow, and is willing to make them.  But I'm not aware of one available right now anywhere. 

3 hours ago, phoenixdownita said:

Yesterday I fixed my CV after it started to display video in tinges of yellow/brown a few years ago … been busy so couldn’t fix it earlier.

Anyhow fyi my CV has the 5v ram fix, the composite AV mod via 318 opamp and l modified the power to use 3 elcheapo wall chargers to generate 12/5/-5 internally (the chargers pcbs sit inside the case at the front left, just before the controller bays, can even see the 3 leds from the grille when connected to mains).

I have 2 std controllers but one is a little shot and I don’t enjoy using the working one either, also have 2 sac again one shot and not enjoying using the working one much at all.

Is there any modern controller replacement for the CV? I was hoping in not too expensive options.

Are the white Adam ones any better?

I make a custom Sega Genesis controller with 8 buttons of function.  I designed a custom pcb which is essentially a colecovision controller but with less buttons of course.  I should have a large batch made in a few weeks.  Here is a video Crossbow did a year ago on it.

Ivory Tower Collections review of the Ruggers Customs Ruggerpad