IGNORED

Where can I buy 2600 connection parts?

Retro Addict

I want to dust off my old 2600 (I am in the mood for some Taz and California Games), but I can't find the AC adapter or the RF switch (not sure if that's the right name - it's the thing with a switch that goes from TV to game). Where can I buy them both for a reasonable price? I can't seem to find them at the AtariAge store.

Thanks in advance.

The AC adapter voltage is not critical. The original was 9 volts, 500mA, tip positive. The connector is just a mini phono plug, the same as used on mono headphones. The Atari employs a 7805 voltage regulator, and as such, can theoretically operate on any voltage from about 7 volts to 35 volts. I wouldn't try going any higher than say 15 or so, however. Just get any old AC adapter that puts out about 9 volts, and at least 500mA, cut the connector off and solder on a the proper connector. You can get the connectors at Radio Shack. If you don't want to build it yourself, you can just buy a 9 volt adapter at Radio Shack with the proper connector. They sell them, they're just a little on the expensive side (~$15 last time I checked)

As for connecting the Atari, just go to Radio Shack and get a female RCA to F connector adapter. This tiny adapter replaces that switchbox entirely, allowing you to simply plug the Atari into the cable input on your TV set. It also gives a much clearer picture in most cases, since those old switchbox things leaked RFI like a sieve.

Ian Primus

ian_primus@yahoo.com

Ian, forgive me, but a lot of the technical specs you posted went right over my head (I'm not a tech expert by any means).

For the adapter, would this work without any soldering? I want something that I can just plug and play.

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?cata...5Fid=273%2D1612

For the connector adapter, would this work?

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?cata...%5Fid=15%2D1268

Both are pricier than I hoped (if those are indeed the correct parts). : Moving, packing stuff away, and not being able to find any of it later is a real drag. I lost a Genesis AV (which I just recently replaced), an Atari Lynx (sound was screwed up though), Road Blasters for the Lynx, and the aforementioned 2600 parts. Luckily, I still have the 2600 system itself, the Genesis and plug, and the rest of my Lynx games (but no Lynx to play them on).

Thanks!

Those TV/Game boxes are not that great.  You're better off getting one of these:

http://www.atariage.com/store/index.php?cPath=21_28

They are not expensive and give a clear signal when connecting through the Cabel input.

That sounds great (and at a cheap price to boot), but what exactly would I have to do? It looks too small to plug directly from the 2600 into the TV, so is any extra part required? Again, I'd like to avoid soldering at all costs because I'm a complete amateur at that kind of stuff.

Thanks.

That's exactly the adapter I described earlier, I just couldn't find a picture of it. I forgot that AtariAge sold it too. That will work just fine for the video, and gives a lot better picture than those TV/Game switchboxes. It's also cheaper. As for the power adapter, that Radio Shack one should work fine, although 1200mA is a litle overkill, I think they may have a smaller rated one a little cheaper. Years ago, I bought a 500mA one there, but Radio Shack changes their stock so often, that it's hard to say anymore. Radio Shack has gotten just about worthless when it comes to electronic parts though. I was just there trying to buy some resistors to build a composite video board for my 5200, but they didn't have any of the ones I needed. And, they have condensed their entire parts selection down to a small cabinet with drawers, although the packages that the parts are in don't actually _fit_ in the drawers. They also only carry about four different IC's now. I can't even get 7404's there anymore. It's pretty pathetic.

Ian Primus

ian_primus@yahoo.com

Thanks for your responses, guys. I have a couple more questions though:

How does the connector adapter work exactly? Do I plug it into the 2600, then attach a cable to it that connects to the TV?

For the power adapter, how do I know which ones will fit into the 2600? I found a couple of loose adapters lying around with Ian's specs (9 volt, etc.), but neither of them fit into the 2600.

Thanks again.

Thanks for your responses, guys. I have a couple more questions though:

How does the connector adapter work exactly? Do I plug it into the 2600, then attach a cable to it that connects to the TV?

For the power adapter, how do I know which ones will fit into the 2600? I found a couple of loose adapters lying around with Ian's specs (9 volt, etc.), but neither of them fit into the 2600.  

Thanks again.

As for the adapter, you simply plug the 2600's RF cable (it's sticking out of the back) into the hole on the adapter, then attach the other end of the adapter to your TV's antenna/cable input. As for the AC adapter, the 2600's power supply plug is a 1/8" headphone plug (don't try plugging headphones, though :D ).

The signal that comes out of the Atari 2600 is RF, just like cable television. All 2600's have a long cable attached with an RCA connector on the end (except for the JR, that has a socket for one, the cable isn't permanently attached). This cable is the video cable, and is essentially the same as regular TV cable. All the switchbox does is convert between the RCA connector and 300 ohm TV antenna leads. Then, to plug into a modern cable ready TV, you would use a 75ohm matching transformer. So, in essence, you would be going from 75 ohm signal, to 300 ohm outputs, and back to 75 ohm. So, you can eliminate that switchbox entirely, and convert the connector over to an F type screw on connector that modern TV's use. Since the old switchboxes leak so much RFI, you generally get snow in the picture. That tiny adapter is much better shielded, so you will have a nice, direct feed into the TV. If you want even better picture, you can hack the 2600 to produce composite video, but I won't go into that now...

As for the power adapters, most modern eqipment no longer uses the mini phono plug for the power input anymore. Ever remember plugging the connector into the Atari and getting a spark? That's the adapter being shorted out as you connected it. So, manufacturers switched to using those barrel plugs, that always will keep the positive and negative seperate, no matter how you plug it in. So, most adapters you find will not have the right connecter on them. As I mentioned earlier, you can cut off the old connector and solder on a new one, it's just a standard 3.5mm mono headphone plug. Or, you can buy one of Rat Shack's "universal" AC adapters, and use the proper connector (The AC adapter just has a two pin connector on the end, and then any plug can be fitted on easily, at extra cost, of course) I personally don't like that system, since the connector plug doesn't always stay on the adapter like it should, and they are more expensive. But, if you don't know which end of a soldering iron to hold, or just don't want to fool with it, that is the way to go.

Ian Primus

ian_primus@yahoo.com

The signal that comes out of the Atari 2600 is RF, just like cable television. All 2600's have a long cable attached with an RCA connector on the end (except for the JR, that has a socket for one, the cable isn't permanently attached). This cable is the video cable, and is essentially the same as regular TV cable. All the switchbox does is convert between the RCA connector and 300 ohm TV antenna leads. Then, to plug into a modern cable ready TV, you would use a 75ohm matching transformer. So, in essence, you would be going from 75 ohm signal, to 300 ohm outputs, and back to 75 ohm. So, you can eliminate that switchbox entirely, and convert the connector over to an F type screw on connector that modern TV's use. Since the old switchboxes leak so much RFI, you generally get snow in the picture. That tiny adapter is much better shielded, so you will have a nice, direct feed into the TV. If you want even better picture, you can hack the 2600 to produce composite video, but I won't go into that now...

Okay, if I buy AtariAge's Coaxial (F-Type) to Female RCA Adapter, what exactly what I have to do to get my 2600 up and running? Again, I'm not savvy on the technical aspect of things, so if you could give me a step-by-step guide of what to plug in where, what I'll need, etc., I'd be much grateful.

Kick ass, another california games fan. Very cool.

It's awesome, isn't it? :) The bike mode is UNREAL. No future-gen version of California Games has been able to touch it.

Okay, if I buy AtariAge's Coaxial (F-Type) to Female RCA Adapter, what exactly what I have to do to get my 2600 up and running? Again, I'm not savvy on the technical aspect of things, so if you could give me a step-by-step guide of what to plug in where, what I'll need, etc., I'd be much grateful.

Plug one end of the adapter into the RCA cable that is attached to the 2600. Plug the other end into the cable input jack on the television set. Turn the television set on, and tune it to channel 3. Put a cartridge into the 2600, and plug in a joysstick. Turn on the 2600. Play. Repeat as necessary.

I can't find anything on Radio Shack's website (either that or I'm not looking for the right thing - I tried searching for "universal ac adapter," but none of the options seem to reflect what I'm looking for, or so I think). If possible, could you find it for me on the site and link it?

Just go down to Rat Shack and tell them you need an AC adapter that supplies 9 volts DC at 500mA with an 1/8" mono headphone plug on the end, tip positive. They can help you. All the AC adapters they sell are that "universal" type. They have a whole display of them, along with a bundle of wires with the different connectors, so you can see which connector you need. If necessary, you can bring the 2600 with you, so you can match up the connector, in case you don't know what you are looking for.

Ian Primus

ian_primus@yahoo.com

Ian, did you take those pictures yourself? I *REALLY* appreciate all the help you are giving me here. Just one more question though: What exactly is the black part in pic 2 (I'm looking at the pics from the bottom up in the right order) that connects to AtariAge's Coaxial (F-Type) to Female RCA Adapter? Thanks!

Ian, did you take those pictures yourself?

Yes. I took them with my digital camera and uploaded them. (I meant to post the scaled down versions, however...)

I *REALLY* appreciate all the help you are giving me here.

No problem. I'm always glad to help another Atari addict.

Just one more question though: What exactly is the black part in pic 2 (I'm looking at the pics from the bottom up in the right order) that connects to AtariAge's Coaxial (F-Type) to Female RCA Adapter?

Ah, ok, you must have an Atari 2600 Jr. model. That's the small, wedge shaped version with a metal plate with a rainbow across it. All older models of the Atari 2600 had their RF cables permanently attached. The one in the picture is the "Darth Vader" model, so called because it is all black. Most of the older units have woodgrain on them. Since you have the Jr. model, you don't have the RF cable attached. Instead, you have a round socket in the back to connect the cable to. You need to get a cable. It's a very common cable, and is easy to find. It's just an RCA to RCA cable, and they are used for lots of things, like connecting stereo components together, speakers, and Atari game machines. You can get them at Rat Shack, K-Mart, etc. Just ask for a male to male RCA cable. The cable will have the connector in pic 2 (Or one very much like it) on both ends. Plug one end into the socket on the Atari, and the other into the adapter.

Ian Primus

ian_primus@yahoo.com

A2600 wrote:

Ian whats that game that you have there playing on screen??

Cave 1K by Thomas Jentzsch.

Yup. Cave 1k. I'm rather addicted to it. It's a great game. I built a cartridge so I could play it on the real hardware. That cart in the picture of me turning on the Atari is the one, it started out as an Activision Grand Prix before it met my soldering iron. Now it's Cave 1k. <grin>

Ian Primus

ian_primus@yahoo.com

Ah, ok, you must have an Atari 2600 Jr. model. That's the small, wedge shaped version with a metal plate with a rainbow across it. All older models of the Atari 2600 had their RF cables permanently attached. The one in the picture is the "Darth Vader" model, so called because it is all black. Most of the older units have woodgrain on them. Since you have the Jr. model, you don't have the RF cable attached. Instead, you have a round socket in the back to connect the cable to. You need to get a cable. It's a very common cable, and is easy to find. It's just an RCA to RCA cable, and they are used for lots of things, like connecting stereo components together, speakers, and Atari game machines.

Yep, it's indeed the 2600 Jr. I found what appears to be an RCA to RCA cable (it fits the 2600 perfectly), and I just came back from Shack with the correct AC adapter (it set me back $20 - UGH! - but it'll be worth it). Now I just need to order that piece from AtariAge and I'll be all set. :)

Thank you SO much for all of your help. I'll post again once my system is back up and running. :)

Well, I got my part from AtariAge today (I ordered it Friday NIGHT and got it Monday - that has to be THE fastest service I've ever seen). Everything works beautifully. :) Thanks again to everyone in this thread who answered my questions, especially Ian. I just have one more question though: Outside of buying a cable splitter, is there any way I can hook up my Atari cable without having to remove the regular TV cable?

Thanks!

Hmmm, I got a splitter but I'm having major problems getting the 2600 to give me a clear picture with it. I posted a separate thread about the issue with more details. If anyone from this thread can help me, it would be very much appreciated.

The new thread can be found at http://www.atariage.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=438635

Thanks again.