IGNORED

I just got a crazy idea...

ApolloBoy

It worked with Sentinel, although that was a very limited run and I have to assume highly time consuming for the man who did it. Not really practical on a large scale or cost-effective (you'd still pay big bucks after factoring in time, materials, and labor).

I really don't want to pay a fortune for certain games I want like Alien Brigade and Scrapyard Dog, so I just got a neat idea! Maybe someone here can take PAL 7800 carts, take them apart, and put an NTSC ROM on an EPROM! Will it work?

It's doable but would probably end up costing nearly as much as an NTSC cart. You'ld be better off waiting for the CC2 to be released and get it instead.

Mitch

I really don't want to pay a fortune for certain games I want like Alien Brigade and Scrapyard Dog, so I just got a neat idea! Maybe someone here can take PAL 7800 carts, take them apart, and put an NTSC ROM on an EPROM! Will it work?

It's doable but would probably end up costing nearly as much as an NTSC cart. You'ld be better off waiting for the CC2 to be released and get it instead.

Mitch

I am NOT shelling out over $100 for a CC2. No way.

All you need is someone to clear a 7800 PCB of all components? I could do that. A EPROM... I could get my friend to do it. this should cosy <$15

No, you can't, it's much more complicated than that. ;)

And this is because... These are not the chips... Opps... You have to make a mod to the board?

All you need is someone to clear a 7800 PCB of all components? I could do that. A EPROM... I could get my friend to do it. this should cosy

No, you can't, it's much more complicated than that. ;)

And this is because... These are not the chips... Opps... You have to make a mod to the board?

Take a look at Dan's page to get an idea.

http://atarihq.com/danb/a7800cart.shtml

Yes, the CC2 is $200 but if you don't have games like Mean 18 and Ikari Warriors and want to play them, you are going to have to fork over close to $100 for just those two. With the CC2 you can play all of the 7800 games for $200.

Also, if you are going to mod 7800 carts you first need to buy the donor cart and the replacement EPROM and any other chips you may need. If you or a friend can do the mod yourself then it's not too bad but if you need to hire someone to do it, except to pay $$.

Mitch

Yes, the CC2 is $200 but if you don't have games like Mean 18 and Ikari Warriors and want to play them, you are going to have to fork over close to $100 for just those two. With the CC2 you can play all of the 7800 games for $200.

Also, if you are going to mod 7800 carts you first need to buy the donor cart and the replacement EPROM and any other chips you may need. If you or a friend can do the mod yourself then it's not too bad but if you need to hire someone to do it, except to pay $$.

Mitch

About EPROMs, what types do I need? Also, what's a good EPROM burner because my C64's EPROM burner isn't up to that task.