IGNORED

YEP! Hidden Games on the 400Mini! by GenXGrownUp

12 hours ago, infinite.pies said:

That's very interesting.

I wonder if any other controllers will unlock the games, as I don't have the VCS joystick, and I'm not too keen on buying yet another controller just to unlock 2 games!

I discovered it by chance, it also works with PS5 and PS4 controllers.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, mimo said:

you could add the games to a USB stick anyway, so other than not being shown in the carousel it's not a biggy IMO

Castle Crisis is a game sold here on Atari Age ($30), so its inclusion on The400 is some real value.

Edited by FifthPlayer
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, FifthPlayer said:

Castle Crisis is a game sold here on Atari Age ($30), so its inclusion on The400 is some real value.

I thought the ROM was available?

Anyway I have the cart if I ever feel the need

5 minutes ago, mimo said:

I thought the ROM was available?

The ROM is available; but what I think he means is, for it to be included in a commercial product like this, there must have been some licensing involved, which should have meant exchange of funds for the developer ( @Bryan ).

7 minutes ago, MrFish said:

The ROM is available; but what I think he means is, for it to be included in a commercial product like this, there must have been some licensing involved, which should have meant exchange of funds for the developer ( @Bryan ).

I wasn't aware the ROM was available, but thank you for bringing up this excellent point about licensing revenue for the developer.

4 minutes ago, FifthPlayer said:

I wasn't aware the ROM was available...

Yeah, he's always made the ROM available for download for the 8-bit computers and 5200; he just charged for physical copies (and a modest price at that). I imagine he would want to charge a fee to Atari for it to appear on their commercial product, though.

1 hour ago, MrFish said:

Yeah, he's always made the ROM available for download for the 8-bit computers and 5200; he just charged for physical copies (and a modest price at that). I imagine he would want to charge a fee to Atari for it to appear on their commercial product, though.

Yes, and it should also be pointed out this is one the good things that has come out of Atari's acquisition of AtariAge.  I'm surprised Atari didn't negotiate to rename the game "Warlords" since they own the rights to it.

55 minutes ago, FifthPlayer said:

I'm surprised Atari didn't negotiate to rename the game "Warlords" since they own the rights to it.

Yeah, I suppose. People can see what it is as soon as they start it up, though.

10 hours ago, mimo said:

you could add the games to a USB stick anyway, so other than not being shown in the carousel it's not a biggy IMO

not sure that's fully true.  On the Video the hidden games were able to use the paddle controls on the controller but when using games on his USB stick he could only use the stick to move.  

Edited by Bucbanzai

There's a comment made by someone on the above Youtube video saying you can plug in almost any USB controller apart from the bundled controller to access the 2 hidden games, so that sounds promising.

Hopefully, I'll just be able to use one of the controllers supplied with the A500 mini or the C64 maxi.

• Like 1

On 3/28/2024 at 12:03 PM, MrFish said:

The author of Castle Crisis commented on my video linked above. He said he knew it would included somehow but hidden, and wasn't sure how long it would take to be discovered. Not very long! 😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, jonreddick said:

The author of Castle Crisis commented on my video linked above. He said he knew it would included somehow but hidden, and wasn't sure how long it would take to be discovered. Not very long! 😁

It's a great game: best version of Warlords available for any 8-bit system.

• Like 2

It mentions Super Breakout and Castle Crisis on the Legal Info page, so I guess there was some hint they were there. (I have not plugged in my VCS controller to "activate" them) At skimming the list I didn't see any other obvious inclusions, unless I'm missing something. 

On 3/29/2024 at 12:25 AM, infinite.pies said:

There's a comment made by someone on the above Youtube video saying you can plug in almost any USB controller apart from the bundled controller to access the 2 hidden games, so that sounds promising.

Hopefully, I'll just be able to use one of the controllers supplied with the A500 mini or the C64 maxi.

A500 pad unlocks them! :)

The coolest part is that if you reboot without a second controller, the games are hidden again - you know I only play single player games with two controllers connected 🤪

On the positive the input using a PS4 thumb stick was surprisingly well-calibrated (given there’s no controller menu for built-in games I guess it would have to be) - I actually didn’t mind playing Super Breakout with it. Can’t say the same for Flasback Classics or Atari 50 on my PS5 and those games have analogue config menus!

Edited by Sean_1970

On 3/28/2024 at 5:08 AM, mimo said:

The games off USB do not work with the spinner on the VCS stick though.  It is only when you access the 2 games off the carousel.  That is the only time you get to use your stick/paddle on the VCS controller.

• 3 weeks later...

Do they show with any analogue controller, I got them to show by plugin in the Atari2600 into THE400 Mini and having the Atari Paddles plugged in to its Atari joystick port 1 (DB9), you have to put the Atari2600 Plus into update dumper mode, Color on B/W and press and hold Reset switch while turn it on, it then thinks its THEGamepad, you can see it on a PC `Setup a game controller on PC`.... 

Edited by Spanner