IGNORED

3rd party controller compatibility

remowilliams

Speedlink Competition Pro USB Extra - Works.

Also available via Amazon.

This is a micro-switched joystick (as well as micro-switches for the two main fire buttons) with a metal-cored shaft.  It's very precise - you're not going to get accidental diagonals, nor not be able to hit one when you do want it.  But note that the actuation force is comparatively high ... in other words it'll feel a bit stiff, and probably won't loosen up much, if any, any over time.  The four buttons are separately mappable.

Just now, Torq said:

Speedlink Competition Pro USB Extra - Works.

Also available via Amazon.

This is a micro-switched joystick (as well as micro-switches for the two main fire buttons) with a metal-cored shaft.  It's very precise - you're not going to get accidental diagonals, nor not be able to hit one when you do want it.  But note that the actuation force is comparatively high ... in other words it'll feel a bit stiff, and probably won't loosen up much, if any, any over time.  The four buttons are separately mappable.

Not to derail anything, but I've NEVER liked that joystick. It's beloved by so many, but despite all the versions I have, from original to the remakes that are included with various things, I never found it especially usable. It's basically the defacto Commodore joystick. For me, I'd rather have an Epyx 500XJ (Konix Speedking) any day of the week. The positioning is even workable for easy access to two buttons. It's a shame that, despite having many of the Epyx games licensed now, no one seems to have pursued what it might take to recreate that design.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chad5200 said:

Got the gamecontrollerdb.txt file on the root of the USB stick and load up the 400 Mini with 2600-daptor D9 plugged into the left joystick port.  Console senses the joystick movements but does not sense the button push.  Is there something else I have to do?  Does the 400 Mini have another config file or setting that needs to be adjusted to tell it I am using the 2600-daptor D9?  My 2600-daptor D9 has all three dip-switches in the UP position.

No, that should do it.  I have the D9 plugged into USB1 and THECXStick in port USB2.

D9 switches are all in the up (off) position for Auto Sense

25 minutes ago, Bill Loguidice said:

Not to derail anything, but I've NEVER liked that joystick.

I don't think you're alone.

I think I've actively disliked every joystick I've used except the original Atari CX40, the first version of the "Competition Pro" I had in the UK in the early 80s, a Wico one that had three interchangeable handles (I think it was the "Command Control") and the arcade-based ones I've built myself.

Many that were highly lauded elsewhere just didn't work for me, including ... Wico "The Boss", QuickShot, QuickShot 2, QuickShot Pro, SunCom Slik Stik and Tac-2, Konix Navigator, and I'm sure a bunch more I am forgetting.  Never tried the Konix Speedking, so can't comment on that one.

I will say the "original" version of this Speedking Competition Pro thing, that I used with the Atari 8-bits, C64, even the ZX Spectrum (this was back in the UK) and later the Amiga and ST, was nicer feeling and had lower activation force than this one.  Though that older version also used leaf-switches for the fire buttons.

This is new one is a lot stiffer than the "original", and worse for it.  But it does work properly with the 400 Mini. Though it's probably more useful with USB-hosted games as the default mapping puts START on the second big fire button (which will obviously instantly restart most 400/800 games).

1 hour ago, remowilliams said:

No, that should do it.  I have the D9 plugged into USB1 and THECXStick in port USB2.

D9 switches are all in the up (off) position for Auto Sense

I am using the same setup you are (D9 plugged into USB1 and THECXStick in port USB2).  I even updated the firmware on my 2600-daptor D9 to the latest version found here: https://www.2600-daptor.com/2600-firmware D9.htm

No luck.  Button still does not respond.

57 minutes ago, chad5200 said:

No luck.  Button still does not respond.

Hmmm..  That sounds like the D9s GUID is not being matched and therefore the settings aren't being applied.

I also added a config string for the regular (non D9) 2600-daptor.

17 minutes ago, remowilliams said:

Hmmm..  That sounds like the D9s GUID is not being matched and therefore the settings aren't being applied.

I also added a config string for the regular (non D9) 2600-daptor.

Do you know where I can get the GUID for mine?  I am using Windows... would it be buried in Device Manager somewhere?

38 minutes ago, chad5200 said:

Do you know where I can get the GUID for mine?

Found my GUID!  Using this tool: https://www.generalarcade.com/gamepadtool/

It is different than yours.

This is what works for me on my 2600-daptor D9 (purchased in Nov. 2019 with latest firmware v.230204):

03000000d8040000ebf6000011010000,2600-daptor D9,a:b0,leftx:a0,lefty:a1,platform:Linux,

Very nice to be able to use the classic 2600 controllers on the 400 Mini!

Thanks!

• Like 1

On 3/31/2024 at 11:38 AM, Bill Loguidice said:

8BitDo USB Wireless Adapter 2 works wirelessly with an Xbox One controller

Is there a trick to making this work in a port other than the first port on the front of the 400?

So far, I can only get it to work in games when it's in port 1.  It'll let me navigate the carousel and USB drive, and launch games, in any port, including the one on the back, but if it's not in port 1 the minute the game starts it does nothing.

Wouldn't be an issue, but the adapter is so wide it blocks the 2nd port from taking the normal controller plug, and it sticks out 2" from the front of the unit.

EDIT:

Tried creating a custom entry in gamecontrollerdb.txt for the adapter, and while that has the desired effect with the adapter in port 1, it still doesn't work in-game if I use any other port (d-pad, sticks and fire-button all cease working, but other functions remain).  So it's either going to require getting a short USB extender and plugging the 8BitDo adapter into that, some magic with the configuration I've yet to figure out, or not bothering.

More Info:

It seems it is not possible to map all of the necessary functions on the 8BitDo adapter even if it is in port 1.  The default mapping does cover all of the necessary options, but that mapping is as bad (for me) for hitting the wrong button accidentally than the standard CXSTICK setup (really, START next to FIRE?).  If you try to remap it, you run out of selectable buttons on the controller (Xbox Series X|S) before you can map the last two positions on the ring buttons.  Trying to map the LB calls up keyboard mappings, and the RB does nothing if pressed in mapping mode.

And trying to do this, along with a custom gamecontrollerdb.txt didn't help, either.  Though it's possible someone else might get that to work - in case I'm missing something there.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally managed to get 2-player support working today. My 8bitdo wireless adapter was blocking port 2 so I had to buy a small USB extension cable so I could plug the CX into port two. Ofcourse player 2 is already at a disadvantage now but hey ;)

IMG_0562.jpeg

Edited by PMFonck

My 8bitdo Wireless Adapter 2 works with my PS4 and Switch Pro Controller. There is even less lag than using it by usb cable. I've tested a wired PS4 controller and due to the battery charging there is a drain in the performance speed and also the sound starts stuttering but not when using the PS4 controller with the 8bitdo Wireless Adapter 2.

Edited by teller

Mayflash Fighting Stick F101, in DINPUT/PS3 mode.

I had to rewire the stick because the L/R buttons were backwards, so the button layout here may make no sense to anyone else --- but at least HOME and SELECT work.

03000000242f00003700000011010000,MAYFLASH Arcade Fightstick F101,a:b2,b:b5,x:b4,y:b7,back:b8,guide:b9,start:b12,leftshoulder:b6,rightshoulder:b1,dpup:-a1,dpdown:+a1,dpleft:-a0,dpright:+a0,lefttrigger:b0,righttrigger:b3,platform:Linux,

iCode Duo Plus adapters also work with the Atari 400 mini if you add the following to the gamecontrollerdb.txt file on the usb drive

030000008f0e00001330000001010000,iCode Retro Adapter,a:b0,b:b4,x:b2,y:b7,back:b6,start:b3,leftshoulder:b1,rightshoulder:b5,leftx:a0,lefty:a1,platform:Linux,

Make sure to use Port 2 on the iCode Duo plus adapter as it seems the mini will only allow one game controller per port.

Also go to the Duo Plus menu (Red+Green), then press Black button to get to config menu, and change Buttons As to 2 using the White button.  Then yellow a couple times to exit the menu.

Yellow will be home/exit button

Blue is Option

White is Select

Black is Start

Works great but only one joystick per duo.  i will keep experimenting to see if i can get paddles and other port on the device working.

• Like 2

My 2600-daptor has another string number (checked with gamepad-tool) and I added it on the gamecontrollerdb.txt and put it in root of the usb stick. The directions work but not the fire button.
What do I need to adjust to get the fire button working?

03000000d80400001dfa000000000000,2600-daptor,a:b0,leftx:a0,lefty:a1,platform:Linux,

Edited by teller

On 4/2/2024 at 1:48 PM, Bill Loguidice said:

Not to derail anything, but I've NEVER liked that joystick. It's beloved by so many, but despite all the versions I have, from original to the remakes that are included with various things, I never found it especially usable. It's basically the defacto Commodore joystick. For me, I'd rather have an Epyx 500XJ (Konix Speedking) any day of the week. The positioning is even workable for easy access to two buttons. It's a shame that, despite having many of the Epyx games licensed now, no one seems to have pursued what it might take to recreate that design.

I just received the Speedlink, and agree. I don't find it's stiffness ideal for the mini.  I actually prefer the CXSTICK, or might try Retro Game's TheJoystick with its eight buttons. The Speedlink is probably getting returned.

On 4/28/2024 at 4:07 PM, Tantan said:

iCode Duo Plus adapters also work with the Atari 400 mini if you add the following to the gamecontrollerdb.txt file on the usb drive

030000008f0e00001330000001010000,iCode Retro Adapter,a:b0,b:b4,x:b2,y:b7,back:b6,start:b3,leftshoulder:b1,rightshoulder:b5,leftx:a0,lefty:a1,platform:Linux,

Sooooo... Close. The joystick seems to work in the menu. But I can't seem to "F"ire? to start the game from the menu.

• 3 months later...
On 4/1/2024 at 12:39 PM, dgrams2000 said:

I wouldn't call it '3rd Party' but the CX-40 (9pin adapter) Atari stick works super awesome with the system.  I have been using it more than the CXstick.  

(I use a retronic design usb-9pin adapter)   also works great with the other mini's. (C64/Amiga)   - and if you do emulation on your PC, it has flashable code for other controllers like sega genesis, colecovision, intellivision, others... 

I had purchased this adapter several years ago. When I tried it with the 400 mini it did not work. That's because I was running version 3.2 of the firmware. I followed the upgrade to version 3.3 (the latest version) at https://www.retronicdesign.com/en/usb-adapter-upgrade-tutorial/

I chose the firmware that included the Atari, C64, Amiga, and A500 mini. After flashing it with this version using the "Mr. Switcher" software, the adapter worked with the 400 Mini. There is also a version of the firmware that targets the C64 Mini. I suspect that one works too. I am not sure what the difference between the A500 mini and C64 mini firmware versions. Just glad I can now use a regular Atari stick on the 400 Mini.

-JP

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/25/2024 at 8:08 AM, JohnPolka said:

I had purchased this adapter several years ago. When I tried it with the 400 mini it did not work. That's because I was running version 3.2 of the firmware. I followed the upgrade to version 3.3 (the latest version) at https://www.retronicdesign.com/en/usb-adapter-upgrade-tutorial/

I chose the firmware that included the Atari, C64, Amiga, and A500 mini. After flashing it with this version using the "Mr. Switcher" software, the adapter worked with the 400 Mini. There is also a version of the firmware that targets the C64 Mini. I suspect that one works too. I am not sure what the difference between the A500 mini and C64 mini firmware versions. Just glad I can now use a regular Atari stick on the 400 Mini.

-JP

Just purchased these adapters... going to try them out in a few days!

On 4/30/2024 at 3:57 PM, BockBock2000 said:

The 8bitdo Ultimate C 2.4gHz works wirelessly. I’ve got 2 hooked up. 

Great controller if you can get past the colors. 

IMG_2094.jpeg

Is there anything you had to do to make this work? I've been trying with mo success.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/20/2024 at 11:36 AM, PMFonck said:

Finally managed to get 2-player support working today. My 8bitdo wireless adapter was blocking port 2 so I had to buy a small USB extension cable so I could plug the CX into port two. Ofcourse player 2 is already at a disadvantage now but hey ;)

IMG_0562.jpeg

are you playing 2600 games on your 400mini?  or is there an actual combat game for the 400?