IGNORED

Backbit 32K doesn't work with speech synthesizer?

I have a backbit 32K expansion. It works when plugged directly into the computer. I can not get it to function properly when plugged into the speech synthesizer.

I don't think it is my speech synthesizer as I can plug the peb into it and the disk and 32k in that work fine.

Has anyone else tried this combo of bakbit 32k and speech synthesizer? If this would work I wouldn't really need the PEB hooked up for most things I play from the final GROM cart.

I don’t know anything about your RAM expansion, just taking a guess. Did you try plugging in the Ram first, and then speech synthesizer into the Ram?

Does the Ram expansion require an external power supply?

The speech synth doesn't pass through 5v power, so that's probably why it doesn't work.  If the backbit 32k has an external power connector, you'll need to power it that way.

Edit: From photos, it appears to not have ext power.  So it cannot be used with the speech synth between it and the side port.

Edited by PeteE
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, PeteE said:

The speech synth doesn't pass through 5v power, so that's probably why it doesn't work.  If the backbit 32k has an external power connector, you'll need to power it that way.

You can if you do this modification, but with the caveat you might over-draw the internal PSU.

• Like 5

On 4/3/2024 at 5:57 PM, OLD CS1 said:

You can if you do this modification, but with the caveat you might over-draw the internal PSU.

Thank you for all the replies.

I'm going to try to ebay a working speech device and do this 5V mod.

The one I own now is in the PEB. Plus, I don't want to risk breaking it. (Not the best at soldering)

On 4/3/2024 at 1:46 PM, Charlie_ said:

I have a backbit 32K expansion. It works when plugged directly into the computer. I can not get it to function properly when plugged into the speech synthesizer.

I don't think it is my speech synthesizer as I can plug the peb into it and the disk and 32k in that work fine.

Has anyone else tried this combo of bakbit 32k and speech synthesizer? If this would work I wouldn't really need the PEB hooked up for most things I play from the final GROM cart.

This is covered in the FAQ. By the way, the speach synthesizer section.. 

Any 32k sidecar should have a external power supply connection. If it doesn't, then it's short-sighted.. 

• Like 2