IGNORED

TI-74 RAM Cartridges

On 4/29/2024 at 11:00 PM, brain said:

So, one item to validate:

Schematic says 1mF and 100mF, but the text that the schematic was linked off of says 1nF and 100nF  Big difference

Jim

@brain, the capacitors as read by the DMM are 

C1 = 136 nF

C2 = 3.11 nF

So the unit obviously is nF.

• Like 1

What are your thoughts on rolling this out? I could perform an initial build and check unless you have or can obtain a ti-74. I’ve used kicad for layouts and have had boards made before. I’m not familiar with the brd files nor how to go from them to a pcb mfg. Or do you make, sell, etc.?

I have no real preferences but that these are available to the community.

• Like 1

On 5/8/2024 at 7:50 PM, mrvan said:

What are your thoughts on rolling this out? I could perform an initial build and check unless you have or can obtain a ti-74. I’ve used kicad for layouts and have had boards made before. I’m not familiar with the brd files nor how to go from them to a pcb mfg. Or do you make, sell, etc.?

I have no real preferences but that these are available to the community.

I'm gonna have proto PCBs made, and I'll send out a few (usually I get 5-10).  I'll let you test it out 🙂

On 5/11/2024 at 6:05 PM, mrvan said:

@brain, do you know what the edge connector specs are?

Just as a FYI, I talked to Stephen Reid about the female edge connector on the 74 carts quite a while back - these have a proprietary pitch.  They had custom edge connectors manufactured for them in Japan, and the excess were physically destroyed when the lifecycle of the unit was complete (i.e. custom carts stopped being made, etc.)  New edge connectors would have to be physically manufactured with the proper measured pitch.  The closest thing that even is out there is a TE edge card connector like this:  https://www.te.com/en/product-5650712-1.html - but it's slightly the wrong pitch.

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, acadiel said:

Just as a FYI, I talked to Stephen Reid about the female edge connector on the 74 carts quite a while back - these have a proprietary pitch.  They had custom edge connectors manufactured for them in Japan, and the excess were physically destroyed when the lifecycle of the unit was complete (i.e. custom carts stopped being made, etc.)  New edge connectors would have to be physically manufactured with the proper measured pitch.  The closest thing that even is out there is a TE edge card connector like this:  https://www.te.com/en/product-5650712-1.html - but it's slightly the wrong pitch.

Well, non-standard parts aren't cool. Is the pitch on this device compatible enough that it can be made to work.

I was starting to notice that the PCB connection side of the connector seemed quite rare and I wasn't finding anything out there that seemed to match.

1 minute ago, OLD CS1 said:

Just plain rude.

I was thinking similar, and how could TI do something like that. But it was the mid 1980s, and compactness was an issue. 

If you look at the PCBs for these memory cards, you can see they are hand-soldered. For the size those that did it did pretty well. Only the best of my solder joints matched their average. So there was a lot packed in.

17 hours ago, acadiel said:

I don't want to contradict sreid, but my micrometer measures .699" from start of 1st pin to start of 15th, so .699/14 = .0499" pitch.  I think .05 should work.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, brain said:

I don't want to contradict sreid, but my micrometer measures .699" from start of 1st pin to start of 15th, so .699/14 = .0499" pitch.  I think .05 should work.

Could be slightly off and more compact - I'll have to take pictures of the two connectors next to each other.  The TE connector is larger than the TI one is.  My guess is that the TI one was custom made to fit, and Steve did confirm that it was custom made.

Edit:  I measured and remembered one of the issues - the card edge in the 74 is 20.8mm when measured end to end.  I just measured that opening in the TE connector, and it's not wide enough (20mm is a tight fit). I think compared to the TI version, it was thicker as well.  I did correspond with TE about the requirements (this was several years ago), and I need to find that e-mail, but needless to say, that was the *closest* thing they had.  My statement still stands about us needing to either recreate the connectors that can fit that were made for the 74 (or hack the TE one, which will get tedious because they will have to be hand modified). :)   If one of you finds an easier path, I'm all for it!

Edit 2:  Added pics.  Note, there almost 1mm larger dimension on the male edge connector than the female edge card.  TE in their email in 2019 mentioned they don’t have anything with a larger opening than 20mm, and they suggested clearance is 19.5mm max, 20mm is very tight fitting.  Nor do they have an edge solder connector similar to the TI one.  Of course, if we want to design something and pay for the design and tooling costs, and commit to a minimum manufacturing run, they are more than happy to partner with us and help us to design a connector.  🙄

IMG_1142.jpeg

IMG_1144.jpeg

IMG_1145.jpeg

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, dhe said:

Are there any cartridges, that are so common, that they might be sacrificed for the connector?

That’s a great question. Occasionally I see ROM cartridges on eBay but most often they are for sale with the computer as well so will command the extra cost. 

in a pinch this could work though.