IGNORED

Hackaday project: keyboard PCB replacement

I was just thinking of this today as I was browsing Github looking at TI related projects after looking at PCBway projects including keyboard projects. I though it would be nice if someone created a pcb of the TI keyboard and placed it out there for those that were having issues. I don't need them personally, as I have a rubbermaid size container of water damaged and stored ti keyboards, some nos, and I am pursuing usb options. But it is strange that TI keyboard stuff started appearing after I was thinking of it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, RickyDean said:

I was just thinking of this today as I was browsing Github looking at TI related projects after looking at PCBway projects including keyboard projects. I though it would be nice if someone created a pcb of the TI keyboard and placed it out there for those that were having issues. I don't need them personally, as I have a rubbermaid size container of water damaged and stored ti keyboards, some nos, and I am pursuing usb options. But it is strange that TI keyboard stuff started appearing after I was thinking of it.

Yes very strange. The github link is live now, it wasn't before when I posted it.

Screenshot_20240404-011809.png

5 minutes ago, TheMole said:

:) 

Thanks for sharing here. I was going to post here, but thought it was more suited to the Development category.

Anyway, more details will be shared very soon (likely next week).

• Like 4

1 hour ago, visrealm said:

Thanks for sharing here. I was going to post here, but thought it was more suited to the Development category.

Anyway, more details will be shared very soon (likely next week).

Thanks for joining us here at AtariAge and looking forward to your progress in this.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, arcadeshopper said:

Pretty sure this is the one that I've been talking on Facebook with the designer is in Australia so I'll probably be importing a bunch of boards and building these or selling kits in my store

That's correct.

I've now released the build details for my KEYBOARD/4A-99 keyboard upgrade. If you're interested in this, have a read of the documentation in the repository.

Also note: arcadeshopper.com has already ordered a batch of PCBs and plans to make these available over the coming weeks. If you're after a kit (or similar), please hold off until @arcadeshopper has had a chance to work things out. That will certainly be the easiest option for those in the US.

I'll be releasing a build video at some point too.

https://github.com/visrealm/keyboard4a99

image.thumb.png.ff614414f3a116f187390872a7713cf0.png

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, visrealm said:

back? 😉

Yes. BITD, the Mitsumi was the keyboard preferred by a lot of people, because it had the nicest feel and didn't get double-tripping keys when they got dirty (like the various other types did). That opinion changed when the membranes started to age and people realized that the quirk-prone mechanical switch keyboards were still going strong and the Mitsumis were failing left and right. The shift happened early in the 2000s, as by that point, the Mitsumis were starting to reach the point of being useless. This new modification returns them to their full glory without the membrane downside--and that is a good thing.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Ksarul said:

Yes. BITD, the Mitsumi was the keyboard preferred by a lot of people, because it had the nicest feel and didn't get double-tripping keys when they got dirty (like the various other types did). That opinion changed when the membranes started to age and people realized that the quirk-prone mechanical switch keyboards were still going strong and the Mitsumis were failing left and right. The shift happened early in the 2000s, as by that point, the Mitsumis were starting to reach the point of being useless. This new modification returns them to their full glory without the membrane downside--and that is a good thing.

Well, there you go. I had no idea.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Ksarul said:

Yeah, I have one of my black 4a consoles starting to do the double tripping on me. At least my v2.2 qi console keyboard still working perfectly and my other black 4a one doing ok still. But still nice that soon we will have replacement options, as long as you have donor key caps, we will start to see bundles on eBay with just key caps going up in price soon.

14 hours ago, Ksarul said:

Now I'll have to break out my case of spare Mitsumi keyboards to harvest the key caps for some modern goodness. . .

I am certain I have no Mitsumis remaining in my stash. :D

• Like 1