IGNORED

Pineapple

atari2600land

So I decided to play some Wolfenstein 3D for the Jaguar tonight. This led to four hours trying to make a title screen for a new game for the Jaguar. It will be a port of my 7800 game I made of the same name. After getting it perfect, I then thought that I should probably convert it to JagStudio. But what I want to do is have the pineapple be really small (and at the center of the screen) at first and then scale it up to 32. But I can't do it because the image keeps moving when I try to change its scale. So I made it so it starts out small in the lower left corner and then make it grow to here:

pineapple.png.a5af71e2c08d00df23cd4ecb81d2abc4.png

So now that I'm using JagStudio, is there a way to do what I want to do with the pineapple at the title screen?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, atari2600land said:

So now that I'm using JagStudio, is there a way to do what I want to do with the pineapple at the title screen?

Yes, change it's position as you scale it so its in the correct place .....

42 minutes ago, atari2600land said:

I guess the way I make .raw files is wrong. I can only play .wav files.

Here you can "play" my ROM.

JagStudio/Raptor cannot play "wav" files, it only plays the converted files that are done by the builder tools.  Suggest you read the manual, it usually works out quicker than bumbling around and complaining :)

I'm having trouble with random numbers. Yes, I did read the manual. It says value = rapRND() will generate a random 32-bit variable. But I don't want it to be 32 bits. I want it to be 3 bits (0-3). How can I shrink the random number I get? Or is there a way to get a random number that's smaller, like 8-bits or so?

• Confused 1

39 minutes ago, atari2600land said:

I'm having trouble with random numbers. Yes, I did read the manual. It says value = rapRND() will generate a random 32-bit variable. But I don't want it to be 32 bits. I want it to be 3 bits (0-3). How can I shrink the random number I get? Or is there a way to get a random number that's smaller, like 8-bits or so?

This isn't a JS question, its a math question.

Divide and take the remainder, or bitwise AND with %11.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, atari2600land said:

The manual actually has some examples right there and it's 24 bit.

value = rapRND()

Get a random 24bit number.  This is more efficient than the BCX Basic RND. However, if used in critical code points it could impact performance.
Examples:
rapRND() & 255   (get a number between 0 and 255)
rapRND() & 63   (get a number between 0 and 63)
rapRND() & 1   (get a 0 or 1)
See example project 'rndtest'.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Back to work on this. I got up to 8 bananas and a pineapple to control. The object of the game is to not let the pineapple hit a banana. I can't test it fully because I can't get past banana #4 or 5. Partly due to VirtualJag's weird control keys function I can't seem to change. I tried moving the buttons to the arrow keys but it never worked.

If you'd like to test it, you can download it off my website. (I didn't figure it would be ok posting a game so large to AtariAge forums, so I did it this way.)

13 hours ago, atari2600land said:

Back to work on this. I got up to 8 bananas and a pineapple to control. The object of the game is to not let the pineapple hit a banana. I can't test it fully because I can't get past banana #4 or 5. Partly due to VirtualJag's weird control keys function I can't seem to change. I tried moving the buttons to the arrow keys but it never worked.

If you'd like to test it, you can download it off my website. (I didn't figure it would be ok posting a game so large to AtariAge forums, so I did it this way.)

Collision detection is not yet perfect due to the nature of the pineapple. Sometime it detects a hit, but there are clearly still white pixels between banana and pineapple.
And the movement could be a bit quicker IMHO.

On 8/12/2024 at 2:40 PM, atari2600land said:

OK. Why can't I use this picture in my game? What's wrong with it? It just shows up as a square of garbage.

I can't say for sure but it looks like the format doesn't match your assets file.