IGNORED

Microvision, Mega Issues

Jess Ragan

About (counts on fingers) six years ago, I bought a Microvision game system from a thrift store. When I got it home, I discovered to my annoyance that the previous owner had left in a pair of batteries... batteries which dated back to the late 1970s. Uh oh.

I haven't been able to bring the system to life with new batteries. Is it possible that the Microvision is too affected by corrosion to ever work again? Could the cartridge (Vegas Slots) be at fault here? I understand that with this system, the CPU isn't in the Microvision itself, but rather the cartridges.

I'd like to revive this console, but it's pretty primitive. I'm not sure that it would be worth spending all the money I'd throw at it to get it fixed. I'd just like to know if there are any diagnostics I can perform to make sure that it's dead, and if there are any common issues with Microvisions that may prevent it from working... burned out resistors and the like.

16 hours ago, Jess Ragan said:

About (counts on fingers) six years ago, I bought a Microvision game system from a thrift store. When I got it home, I discovered to my annoyance that the previous owner had left in a pair of batteries... batteries which dated back to the late 1970s. Uh oh.

I haven't been able to bring the system to life with new batteries. Is it possible that the Microvision is too affected by corrosion to ever work again? Could the cartridge (Vegas Slots) be at fault here? I understand that with this system, the CPU isn't in the Microvision itself, but rather the cartridges.

I'd like to revive this console, but it's pretty primitive. I'm not sure that it would be worth spending all the money I'd throw at it to get it fixed. I'd just like to know if there are any diagnostics I can perform to make sure that it's dead, and if there are any common issues with Microvisions that may prevent it from working... burned out resistors and the like.

The weak link in the Microvision is the display thy go bad a lot. There is a thread here from someone who is doing replacements...

Dan Boris, Dan Boris... the Odyssey2 emulator guy? Thanks for chiming in, and for your work on that.

I'm aware that the screen on my system is probably borked... that's an inevitability, like caps going bad on a Game Gear. Thing is, my system doesn't do ANYTHING with a fresh battery in it. It doesn't even make sounds! There would at least be audio if it were functioning, right? That's why I'm wondering if it's the cartridge that's the problem. I tested the power switch and that seems to function. It's just that nothing else does.

On 4/5/2024 at 2:23 PM, Jess Ragan said:

Dan Boris, Dan Boris... the Odyssey2 emulator guy? Thanks for chiming in, and for your work on that.

I'm aware that the screen on my system is probably borked... that's an inevitability, like caps going bad on a Game Gear. Thing is, my system doesn't do ANYTHING with a fresh battery in it. It doesn't even make sounds! There would at least be audio if it were functioning, right? That's why I'm wondering if it's the cartridge that's the problem. I tested the power switch and that seems to function. It's just that nothing else does.

Yep, that me, still not used to being a "celebrity" :)

Yeah, it's possible the cartridge went bad, I assume you only have one?