IGNORED

New SCSI card

1 hour ago, InsaneMultitasker said:

@Shift838 are you setting up the board for regulators, dc-to-dc converter, or both?   Asking as i have been wanting to convert my SCSI card to the latter and just haven't gotten around to it. 

I did it on my SCSI card just the one for the logic part the other for the SCSI bus does not heat up

Je l'ai fait sur ma carte SCSI juste celui de la partie logique l'autre pour le bus SCSI ne chauffe pas

IMG20240319182201.jpg

Edited by humeur
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, InsaneMultitasker said:

@Shift838 are you setting up the board for regulators, dc-to-dc converter, or both?   Asking as i have been wanting to convert my SCSI card to the latter and just haven't gotten around to it. 

DC 2 DC converters, want to make sure it runs as cool as possible.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I got the prototypes in.  I have put one together and the system detects it with no issues.  I will be testing SCSI disk functionality over the weekend extensively.  Crossing my fingers and toes..

IMG_2079.thumb.JPG.1d7ecef4112a0d47474d2c5abf6a91e8.JPG

Edited by Shift838
  • Like 9

8 minutes ago, Shift838 said:

I got the prototypes in.  I have put one together and the system detects it with no issues.  I will be testing SCSI disk functionality over the weekend extensively.  Crossing my fingers and toes..

IMG_2079.thumb.JPG.1d7ecef4112a0d47474d2c5abf6a91e8.JPG

Looks beautiful... Love the layout and no SMT and the voltage regulator part looks nice, and the dual connections and usb power part.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Shift838 said:

I will be testing SCSI disk functionality over the weekend extensively.

Woohoo! That looks really nice!   FYI, I noticed the EPROM is labeled v1.6. This typically corresponds to the boards with the modifications/daughter board and Device routines from Michael and Haarald in bank 7.  Version 1.5 is typically the unmodified boards with the non-PDMA routines in bank 7.  The source that I have does not contain both PDMA and non-PDMA routines in bank 7, so if things don't work as expected, consider testing the V1.5 EPROM.  Can't wait to see how it turns out!

• Like 3

Initial testing going well.  I have tested the below on the TI-99/4A using the DSR 1.6 and a ZuluSCSI device via 50 pin IDC ribbon cable.  The ZuluSCSI is being powered up by the new SCSI card via a USB cable too.

• Card recognized in TIMODE - Success
  • CRU selection - Success
  • Formatting drives - Success
  • Copying files
    • From TiPi to SCS1, SCS2, etc - Success
    • From SCS1 to SCS2, etc - Success
    • From Floppy to SCSI (need to do)
    • HRD to SCSI (need to do)
    • IDE to SCSI (need to do)
  • Reading and execution of files from the SCSI drives - Success
  • Deleting Files and directories - Success
  • Renaming - Success
  • Protecting/Unprotecting - Success

Will test everything twice on each system, once with the 50 pin IDC ribbon cable and the other with the DSUB 25 male to male.  Waiting on that to arrive later today.

Still have a few things to do as you can see on the TI before I move to the Geneve to test.  If anyone can think of anything else for me to test, please shoot me a private message.

IMG_2088.JPG

IMG_2093.JPG

IMG_2091.JPG

IMG_2092.JPG

• Like 9

I got the 25pin DSUB female to female cable in yesterday evening.  Wanted to go ahead and test it as I was wondering if I got my wiring right on the connector.  Well, yes and no.

So, it would not work via the DB25 connector at all.  checked my schematic and all is good, figured it was the cable that it was not truly a straight through cable.  Well, it was, needless to say I was perplexed for a few minutes.

I always do something before I send my boards off to be tooled, but this time I did not on the DB25 connector.  I got the library from mouser, and I have never had this happen with mouser.  So, this is a first time for them.

Well needless to say, whoever designed their library for the DB25 PCB connector got it wrong!  They actually mirrored it, so the footprint is actually for a DB25 male although the part is female!  So, everything is exactly opposite of what i need it to be.

Good thing for prototype testing!

lesson learned, will always check no matter what now..

Now I have a female to male DB25 cable coming in tomorrow.  Thought I had a DB25 male to male gender changer that would change the pinout to a female, but nope, it's a 50 pin.  

I will continue my testing for other aspects though.

Thanks mouser!

• Sad 2

27 minutes ago, Shift838 said:

I got the 25pin DSUB female to female cable in yesterday evening.  Wanted to go ahead and test it as I was wondering if I got my wiring right on the connector.  Well, yes and no.

So, it would not work via the DB25 connector at all.  checked my schematic and all is good, figured it was the cable that it was not truly a straight through cable.  Well, it was, needless to say I was perplexed for a few minutes.

I always do something before I send my boards off to be tooled, but this time I did not on the DB25 connector.  I got the library from mouser, and I have never had this happen with mouser.  So, this is a first time for them.

Well needless to say, whoever designed their library for the DB25 PCB connector got it wrong!  They actually mirrored it, so the footprint is actually for a DB25 male although the part is female!  So, everything is exactly opposite of what i need it to be.

Good thing for prototype testing!

lesson learned, will always check no matter what now..

Now I have a female to male DB25 cable coming in tomorrow.  Thought I had a DB25 male to male gender changer that would change the pinout to a female, but nope, it's a 50 pin.  

I will continue my testing for other aspects though.

Thanks mouser!

Once you've verified the prototype, let me know how much you want for one. Like the IDE card I'd like one bare board of each, prototype and production.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, RickyDean said:

Once you've verified the prototype, let me know how much you want for one. Like the IDE card I'd like one bare board of each, prototype and production.

not sure if I will be selling bare boards this time.  My last run of the IDE through hole design I sold bare boards and almost 1/2 of them came back for me to fix because something was done wrong, and the users could not figure it out.  So, I have yet to decide if I will be offering bare boards or even kits.  I'm honestly leaning toward a complete tested board only delivered.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Shift838 said:

not sure if I will be selling bare boards this time.  My last run of the IDE through hole design I sold bare boards and almost 1/2 of them came back for me to fix because something was done wrong, and the users could not figure it out.  So, I have yet to decide if I will be offering bare boards or even kits.  I'm honestly leaning toward a complete tested board only delivered.

Understood, okay thanks.

received the new DB 25 male to DB 25 female straight through cable to test to make sure the pinout was backwards from mouser's library and it was.  that cable works great with the card.  I have corrected the footprint for the final board run.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

I have been able to test the below finally.

• Boot from SCSI via Geneve with MDOS 7.42
  • File copies:
    • TIPI to SCSI
    • SCSI to TIPI
    • Floppy to SCSI
    • SCSI to floppy
    • IDE to SCSI
    • SCSI to IDE
    • HRD to SCSI
    • SCSI to HRD
    • HFDC MFM to SCSI
    • SCSI to HFDC MFM
  • Execution of files from both TI and Geneve
  • Rename, Delete of files both TI and Geneve
  • Create and Delete of folders on TI and Geneve

Will do more testing through the weekend to put it through its paces.  But looking good!

Edited by Shift838
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, 9640News said:

@Shift838

Did you resolve the issue of executing AUTOEXEC on bootup with the Geneve?  This may be answered in another area already as I am checking out all of the posts after not being on for ab out 3 days.

yes.  When I changed the default location with CYA, everything started working..

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, dhe said:

@InsaneMultitasker - shouldn't the default be, try to load autoexec from the same place system-sys just got done loading from?

Yes. If CYA is required, then either the LOAD-SCS loader is an earlier revision and/or the current loader needs to be updated to set the proper device flag for the OS.  I recently mentioned this elsewhere, though it might have been lost in the back-and-forth.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...