IGNORED

Label Replacement acceptable or verboten?

MrChickenz

Posted (edited)

I bought a copy of Chopper Command on ebay but the label was in poor condition as you can see.

Found the label image online though the image wasn't perfect, so spent time teaching myself GIMP and tidying up the image.

Printed out a few tests on my bubble jet, then printed a final version on photo paper.  Used double sided tape to stick it to the cart.  

I'm thrilled with the result.  It probably took me way more effort than someone else who knows what they are doing but I was quite proud of it.  I have a few other Activision carts though none are as bad as this was, but will slowly aim to do them over time.

EDIT PS also did Enduro, see the result below.  Label isn't quite the same as there seem to be two different versions of it around but it looks fantastic.  

chopper command old.jpg

chopper command new.jpg

enduro.jpg

Edited by MittyOz
adding another pic
  • Like 5

18 hours ago, MittyOz said:

I bought a copy of Chopper Command on ebay but the label was in poor condition as you can see.

Found the label image online though the image wasn't perfect, so spent time teaching myself GIMP and tidying up the image.

Printed out a few tests on my bubble jet, then printed a final version on photo paper.  Used double sided tape to stick it to the cart.  

I'm thrilled with the result.  It probably took me way more effort than someone else who knows what they are doing but I was quite proud of it.  I have a few other Activision carts though none are as bad as this was, but will slowly aim to do them over time.

EDIT PS also did Enduro, see the result below.  Label isn't quite the same as there seem to be two different versions of it around but it looks fantastic.  

chopper command old.jpg

chopper command new.jpg

enduro.jpg

What a difference, they look great! 

I had fun recreating these 40-year-old labels for my new collection. I bought a couple of carts with reproduced labels on Etsy. They were so badly done, that I had to build them myself in Photoshop. Then I continued. 😂

IMG_7106.jpg

IMG_7107.jpg

IMG_7112.jpg

IMG_7110.jpg

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, swiller said:

I had fun recreating these 40-year-old labels for my new collection. I bought a couple of carts with reproduced labels on Etsy. They were so badly done, that I had to build them myself in Photoshop. Then I continued. 😂

Wow! They look great! Like brand new! 👍 I like you setup.

Edited by MrChickenz

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, MrChickenz said:

What paper did you use for your labels?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07T83CSCG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

These work great. Good stick and easy to peel. Look for a spray varnish to protect ink also. I did not like the result of my testing, so did without. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09M6Y3TYZ?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

for the corners. Slightly bigger round but close. I did get pretty good at using small scissors as well. 

Edited by swiller
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Update on my M Network labels tweaked these a bit and changed the two TRON end labels. I have 4 more to do then my M Network labels will be finished.

(Picture looks a bit blurry)

IMG_0468.jpeg

Edited by MrChickenz
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, MrChickenz said:

Update on my M Network labels tweaked these a bit and changed the two TRON end labels. I have 4 more to do then my M Network labels will be finished.

(Picture looks a bit blurry)

IMG_0468.jpeg

Nice job! These never had front labels? Where do the M network stickers go? I got 2 mystery M network carts for free. The end labels were gone and recreated them.

• Like 1

It seems like replacing the silver metallic labels of Imagic and later Atari carts would be challenging. Any good solutions out there? I did not find a metallic label you could print on.

It doesn't look like the Sega label has it above.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, swiller said:

It seems like replacing the silver metallic labels of Imagic and later Atari carts would be challenging. Any good solutions out there? I did not find a metallic label you could print on.

Parker Brothers labels also. I just purchased Parker Brothers labels from a seller for mine instead of making them myself. I happy with  the quality of the labels. As for Imagic I will probably purchase those as well. Mine need replacing. For some reason the ink wears off the metallic labels.

1 minute ago, MrChickenz said:

Parker Brothers labels also. I just purchased Parker Brothers labels from a seller for mine instead of making them myself. I happy with  the quality of the labels. As for Imagic I will probably purchase those as well. Mine need replacing. For some reason the ink wears off the metallic labels.

I could create a subtle silver gradient or texture in Photoshop to get it close. I did it for projects in the past. I'll test it out.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, swiller said:

I could create a subtle silver gradient or texture in Photoshop to get it close. I did it for projects in the past. I'll test it out.

The Parker Brothers labels I purchased had a slightly different background color. Instead of silver it almost looks like a metallic light blue. However it was done I liked it better than the original label. So your silver gradient might work well!

Edited by MrChickenz
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, swiller said:

The Sega label doesn't have any foil/metallic on it, even on the original.

what you're seeing on the original label is severe pitting/Actiplaque

Edited by John Stamos Mullet
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, MrChickenz said:

Guys, I offer metallic labels if you are interested. Here is the for sale topic.

Here are some printed examples of metallic/foil labels.

foilSamp1.jpg.ff55e1ae3aa94c086c7a3332e8

foilSamp2.jpg.89386be509357089e9f3d7ca14

foilSamp3.jpg.4f5d2d9411ed84620936f58155

foilSamp4.jpg.8f6eba33c4f29fc06db027cd5d

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

@vintagegaming on eBay. $7.50, shipped

Cool. However, I offer this label for $2.50 (all my SEGA titles are $2.50 each) and it will be cut correctly (unlike the one you pictured above).

Just an FYI, I do have a minimum order and a small shipping fee if inside the USA. If interested...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

After going through my entire collection, almost every single one of my original Atari picture labels from Video Pinball on up has some degree of plaque.  However, I think it's interesting that these later '87/'88 reissue cart labels haven't aged a day!  All were stored in the same place, humidity-controlled environment blah blah blah - what a great time for them to switch to better ink. 

(love that screwup on the Pele' label, "Game Program Instructions" indeed)

Atari Reissue Carts.jpg

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, swiller said:

Wow, these look fantastic! Best I have seen.

Thanks! The best part is the printing is not going to come off if touched or scratched because all of my labels are laminated.

• Like 2