IGNORED

Label Replacement acceptable or verboten?

MrChickenz

Posted (edited)

Interesting fact:  Activison H.E.R.O. was released in 1984 for the 2600. One of a few Activision carts if not the only one that had full art work on the label. Not a screen shot and no copyright text all over the label. It doesn’t even say what system it’s for! Just nice artwork!

Oh and Private Eye! Not sure if there were others.

IMG_0487.jpeg

IMG_0488.jpeg

Edited by MrChickenz
  • Like 3

I am definitely of a collector mindset. I often regret replacing labels and look for pristine originals as replacements. I also think that’s nuts. High quality replacements for damaged labels are a great entry point. I am also on the slippery slope to a complete m network set and maybe intv as well. I love the efforts to preserve and enhance the original artwork 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MrChickenz said:

Interesting fact:  Activison H.E.R.O. was released in 1984 for the 2600. One of a few Activision carts if not the only one that had full art work on the label. Not a screen shot and no copyright text all over the label. It doesn’t even say what system it’s for! Just nice artwork!

Oh and Private Eye! Not sure if there were others.

IMG_0487.jpeg

IMG_0488.jpeg

The fabulous 4:

Pitfall II

HERO

Private Eye

Beamrider

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm fine with replacement labels, but for my own collection replacement labels are just used to replace missing or very badly damaged labels. I've replaced some end labels fairly recently that I just had some printed from a handheld label maker so that the stack looks "cleaner", and at some point I'll tackle one of the Activision labels that the end part is partially missing on. Otherwise, I actually like having the patina and Actiplaque.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, MrChickenz said:

Have you played Spy Hunter much? And how does it play on the 2600+

I have. It plays great! I was really surprised at how much of the arcade game they crammed into this game. It's both graphically on par with the good/great 2600 late releases, and it has nearly all of the elements of the arcade version. the controls are a bit touchy (but so are the arcade version).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

You can add me to the list of satisfied customers.  @pboland, you do great work!  14 trashed labels out of 317 loose carts ain't bad.  Also grabbed an 8-bit Assembler/Editor label which came in quite handy.

Putting these on was a cinch for the most part except for that blue Infiltrate cart.  Took over 3 days and many applications of Goo Gone to get the old label off, that gunk just would not budge even with lighter fluid and a scraper.  The rest of the labels were ready to peel in an hour or so and the Sears ones were ready in 10 minutes.  (Tapper wasn't replaced, it was in better shape than I thought and just got a few swipes with a Magic Eraser.)

On 5/15/2024 at 8:18 AM, LynnInDenver said:

I'm fine with replacement labels, but for my own collection replacement labels are just used to replace missing or very badly damaged labels. ... Otherwise, I actually like having the patina and Actiplaque.

That's also how I feel about it, which is why I won't be touching my Activision collection.  But for carts with missing end labels, screw holes, and some dipshits's name carved into the label, I highly recommend doing this.  Hell, it was actually kinda fun...

VCS Labels - Before.jpg

VCS Labels - After.jpg

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Agent570 said:

You can add me to the list of satisfied customers.  @pboland, you do great work!  14 trashed labels out of 317 loose carts ain't bad.  Also grabbed an 8-bit Assembler/Editor label which came in quite handy.

Putting these on was a cinch for the most part except for that blue Infiltrate cart.  Took over 3 days and many applications of Goo Gone to get the old label off, that gunk just would not budge even with lighter fluid and a scraper.  The rest of the labels were ready to peel in an hour or so and the Sears ones were ready in 10 minutes.  (Tapper wasn't replaced, it was in better shape than I thought and just got a few swipes with a Magic Eraser.)

That's also how I feel about it, which is why I won't be touching my Activision collection.  But for carts with missing end labels, screw holes, and some dipshits's name carved into the label, I highly recommend doing this.  Hell, it was actually kinda fun...

VCS Labels - Before.jpg

VCS Labels - After.jpg

Like Brand New!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

if its a sin to replace labels then i'd hate collecting, like how would i know what the hell my game is if it has no label or a screwed up one? i'm supposed to like, memorize all my poor label condition games?

Every game deserves a label, in fact i am an activist for more resources for label replacements, because nobody, including me can find the right font for the "2600" in the red label, lmfao.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
On 6/23/2024 at 9:32 PM, Agent570 said:

@pboland labels are wonderful!

I used vegetable oil to remove the glue after removing labels with heat. The second round of carts required scraping with a plastic prying pick. Few hours of work each round, including opening and cleaning while access to the screws possible. 

20240613_234552.gif

20240708_121329.gif

Edited by Striker667xbl
Fixed @
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Does anyone know anywhere that is selling those generic looking white Activision cartridge labels (eg Kung Fu Master), seen a few places doing blue variants but no white. Seem to be easy enough to replicate, just I have no printer and frankly do not mind paying a few quid for replacements.

Edited by acidbottle
  • Like 1

+$21 Canadian dollars just to ship the label through eBay + almost $7 for the label is just robbery. 

This is one of the reasons eBay has become a cesspool.

Making money off the shipping. Outrageous.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, acidbottle said:

Does anyone know anywhere that is selling those generic looking white Activision cartridge labels (eg Kung Fu Master), seen a few places doing blue variants but no white. Seem to be easy enough to replicate, just I have no printer and frankly do not mind paying a few quid for replacements.

Ask @pboland he most likely has the label you’re looking for!

1 hour ago, DhaemonX said:

+$21 Canadian dollars just to ship the label through eBay + almost $7 for the label is just robbery. 

This is one of the reasons eBay has become a cesspool.

Making money off the shipping. Outrageous.  

I know the cost for me here in the States to send my typical package to Canada about 15.00 USD just for the postage. I can tell you that I'm not making money off of shipping. Many of my labels are $3.00 some more and some less (but I do have a $25.00 minimum purchase).

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, pboland said:

I know the cost for me here in the States to send my typical package to Canada about 15.00 USD just for the postage. I can tell you that I'm not making money off of shipping. Many of my labels are $3.00 some more and some less (but I do have a $25.00 minimum purchase).

Then I have no clue how I'm getting shipments from as far as California to eastern Canada for a lower price of the shipping. Heavier items too with tracking numbers. The items themselves were cheap too so it wasn't if it the shipping was built into the price. 

How it cost $15 usd for what I would assume is letter mail to Canada is bizarre to me. 

Too bad I really wanted to be a customer of yours. But I cannot justify that price. 😕

Edited by DhaemonX

2 hours ago, DhaemonX said:

Then I have no clue how I'm getting shipments from as far as California to eastern Canada for a lower price of the shipping. Heavier items too with tracking numbers. The items themselves were cheap too so it wasn't if it the shipping was built into the price. 

How it cost $15 usd for what I would assume is letter mail to Canada is bizarre to me. 

Too bad I really wanted to be a customer of yours. But I cannot justify that price. 😕

I don't sell on ebay but I can tell you that $25.00 worth of labels will not fit in a letter envelope. Plus my labels are packaged so they do not get bent or creased in shipment. So it is considered a package (shipped first class international mail).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DhaemonX said:

https://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/Notice123.htm#_c341

First class rate to canada for a package 1-8 lbs is $17.00.

19 hours ago, MrChickenz said:

Ask @pboland he most likely has the label you’re looking for!

Cheers MrChickenz, have already reached out to pboland for a list, though it did not state they were available though may do no harm in asking. That said, you have to draw the line at requests somewhere, am sure they get plenty!!

Shipping is a bane, even if you live in the same country at times. $20 for overseas shipping seemed reasonable to me living in the UK, those costs have sky rocketed, like everything else.

Edited by acidbottle
  • Like 1

On 7/9/2024 at 1:58 AM, Striker667xbl said:

I used vegetable oil to remove the glue after removing labels with heat. The second round of carts required scraping with a plastic prying pick. Few hours of work each round, including opening and cleaning while access to the screws possible. 

20240613_234552.gif

20240708_121329.gif

These look great! And how did you get the pictures to flash back and forth like that?

1 hour ago, MrChickenz said:

These look great! And how did you get the pictures to flash back and forth like that?

The Gallery App on my Galaxy phone lets you press and hold on a thumbnail so you can select multiple photos. Then you can choose 'create' then 'gif'. Lets you pick speed, photo order, etc. Comes in handy! 

• Thanks 1

On 7/9/2024 at 1:58 AM, Striker667xbl said:

20240613_234552.gif

20240708_121329.gif

That Atlantis is like day and night.

• Like 2