IGNORED

Label Replacement acceptable or verboten?

MrChickenz

FWIW:

• If you are doing it for your own collection, have at it.
  • If you are doing it because the label is gone or trashed, have at it, but disclose if you sell it.
  • If you are trying to make a cart more valuable or rare to make money selling it, then may the flees of a thousand camels infest your crotch, and I hope any buyer outs you here.

When I was a kid, and the picture labels came out, I was kind of pissed, so I created my own. I sharpied all the outlines, cut a picture out of the catalog, glued it on, and put lamination tape I bought out of a vending machine at a grocery store. I still have all of them. I will probably print new ones, maybe some custom ones, but it is for my own collection.

• Like 2

On 7/10/2024 at 10:59 PM, Zonie said:

I created my own. I sharpied all the outlines, cut a picture out of the catalog, glued it on, and put lamination tape I bought out of a vending machine at a grocery store. I still have all of them. I will probably print new ones, maybe some custom ones, but it is for my own collection.

Post some pictures of these if you can, I would love to see them.

Posted (edited)

So in addition to replacing labels to make my collection look like new, I had this idea!

Using Cartridge Sleeves provided by TheRingBearer https://forums.atariage.com/topic/368417-cartridge-sleeves/

These alone make my collection look awesome!

Using plastic protectors for Atari 2600 boxed games, I turn them sideways. It fits two loose cartridges with TheRingBearer’s Cartridge Sleeves. I printed a spacer on photo paper for the bottom. Now I can display some of my favorites while protecting the printed sleeves.

IMG_1230.jpeg

IMG_1231.jpeg

IMG_1232.jpeg

IMG_1233.jpeg

IMG_1187.jpeg

IMG_1186.jpeg

Edited by MrChickenz
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, MrChickenz said:

Post some pictures of these if you can, I would love to see them.

Oh Jeez. I knew someone was gonna ask.
Here are some of them. I had sharpied the silver outline on the end labels and some of the text that was covered up, but about 20 years ago when I got back into it, I alcohol wiped all the sharpie off. Makes Superman look like crap...

I think I tried to peel it off but you can see on Superman, it took the regular label up too.

I got superman with the console in 1978.

I had a box with over 100 catalogs that a store tossed out when the new ones came in, so it was nothing to cut some of them up. I think they were the Posters...

IMG_8468.jpeg

IMG_8469.jpeg

IMG_8471.jpeg

Edited by Zonie
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, Zonie said:

Oh Jeez. I knew someone was gonna ask.
Here are some of them. I had sharpied the silver outline on the end labels and some of the text that was covered up, but about 20 years ago when I got back into it, I alcohol wiped all the sharpie off. Makes Superman look like crap...

I think I tried to peel it off but you can see on Superman, it took the regular label up too.

I got superman with the console in 1978.

I had a box with over 100 catalogs that a store tossed out when the new ones came in, so it was nothing to cut some of them up. I think they were the Posters...

IMG_8468.jpeg

IMG_8469.jpeg

IMG_8471.jpeg

I think that was a cool idea. I don’t care for plain text labels, especially when the artwork for Atari games was amazing.

• Like 1

On 7/17/2024 at 7:03 PM, MrChickenz said:

I think that was a cool idea. I don’t care for plain text labels, especially when the artwork for Atari games was amazing.

Well, These are probably going to get new labels.

I'm on the fence though, make new ones with some of the cool new ones or leave them alone for nostalgia's sake...

The guys making new ones are doing some absolutely fantastic work.

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Zonie said:

Well, These are probably going to get new labels.

I'm on the fence though, make new ones with some of the cool new ones or leave them alone for nostalgia's sake...

The guys making new ones are doing some absolutely fantastic work.

How many have you labeled? I would buy some duplicate copies to put new labels on and leave yours like they are. Unless you have a lot. Then just save some favorites for nostalgia. There’s a story behind yours which I don’t believe most people relabeled back then. Yours are unique because you used the pictures from the catalogs.

And yes! I like the ones @TheRingBearer creates. The Labels and Cartridge Sleeves have a style and design that looks amazing! They have a fresh look to them that really shows off the artwork.

Edited by MrChickenz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/10/2024 at 10:59 PM, Zonie said:

FWIW:

• If you are doing it for your own collection, have at it.
  • If you are doing it because the label is gone or trashed, have at it, but disclose if you sell it.
  • If you are trying to make a cart more valuable or rare to make money selling it, then may the flees of a thousand camels infest your crotch, and I hope any buyer outs you here.

When I was a kid, and the picture labels came out, I was kind of pissed, so I created my own. I sharpied all the outlines, cut a picture out of the catalog, glued it on, and put lamination tape I bought out of a vending machine at a grocery store. I still have all of them. I will probably print new ones, maybe some custom ones, but it is for my own collection.

I would take this a step further and say “If you’re trying to price gouge buyers on mass produced video game products at all, you’re a chooch.” The whole collector angle of this hobby is off putting.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

I would take this a step further and say “If you’re trying to price gouge buyers on mass produced video game products at all, you’re a chooch.” The whole collector angle of this hobby is off putting.

Agreed.

Profiteering in any scenario is disgusting.

• Like 1

Alright, so here I have a question for the crowd. Do you think if you are a replacing An old label is it is worth the effort to scrape the old damaged label off? or do you just slap it over the top of the old label and be done with it ? It's a real pain to try to remove some of those ancient labels.....

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, tradyblix said:

Alright, so here I have a question for the crowd. Do you think if you are a replacing An old label is it is worth the effort to scrape the old damaged label off? or do you just slap it over the top of the old label and be done with it ? It's a real pain to try to remove some of those ancient labels.....

I scrape them off, some remove easily while others can be a real pain you are right about that. I just encountered one that was a real pain and I thought for a minute about slapping the new one over the remnants but I persisted and finally removed all of it. And again you right! Is it worth the effort? IDK but they look professional if you manage to clean the area thoroughly.

The one I had trouble with was Carnival by Coleco. I wonder if other Coleco carts used cement glue!

Edited by MrChickenz

1 hour ago, MrChickenz said:

I scrape them off, some remove easily while others can be a real pain you are right about that. I just encountered one that was a real pain and I thought for a minute about slapping the new one over the remnants but I persisted and finally removed all of it. And again you right! Is it worth the effort? IDK but they look professional if you manage to clean the area thoroughly.

The one I had trouble with was Carnival by Coleco. I wonder if other Coleco carts used cement glue!

I had a LOT of trouble getting that one removed.  The Activisions removed fairly easily.  California Games is another pain.  Even with heat, some just don't seem to want to come off.

• Like 1

On 7/27/2024 at 10:34 AM, tradyblix said:

I've experimented with just slapping the new label over the old. It can work, but I do not recommend it. Mainly because you still need a clean smooth surface for the new label to stick and you have to line the label up perfectly with the old one and that can be trickier than it sounds. This is the topic I recommend for cleaning and relabeling cartridges:

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, acidbottle said:

Some nice titles there, cute setup!

Are those Atari Age boxed versions now long gone? I don't see any of those in the store unfortunately.

Juno First and Galagon are no longer available from AtariAge. Champ Games has Galagon but it doesn’t work on the 2600+ as of yet.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, acidbottle said:

Cheers for that. Juno First is selling for an eye watering amount on ebay, but found some of the others on the AA store, very well hidden to!

Medieval Mayhem, Wall Jump Ninja, Robot City and Aardvark are still available from AtariAge. Frenzy is 7800 I believe that’s still available as well.

Edit: Yes Frenzy is still available.

Edited by MrChickenz

On 7/30/2024 at 1:56 AM, acidbottle said:

Cheers for that. Juno First is selling for an eye watering amount on ebay, but found some of the others on the AA store, very well hidden to!

Yeah I'm so glad I got mine for a normal price now lol. 

• Like 1