IGNORED

Firmware update suggestions

On 4/10/2024 at 3:51 PM, suspicious_milk said:

Can the inevitable firmware update have an option to set the ring buttons to require a fast double press to register?  

My suggestion would be to make the ring buttons only detected if used in combination with the Menu or Shoulder button.

Another suggestion - fix the input handling for 5200 binaries.

I think just being able to change default or per-game button mapping for the included games would sort a lot of issues and given you can do that with software loaded from USB, I don’t understand why it’s not already there.

Make the bonus game unlock permanent after booting with a second controller attached. I shouldn’t have to connect two controllers every time I want to play a game of Super Breakout 🙄

Ability to initialise a blank disk for use with games that require that sort of thing. Yes you can copy the 400Basic.atr, but having to go back to a separate piece of kit for a basic function seems excessive to me.

Not firmware-related, but more detailed documentation would be nice with a full listing of supported file extensions and if they’re not going to allow for default button remapping, then have a section on creating your own controller config file for folk that want to do that.

I have a lot of fun with the new Atari clone, both with games & demos. What's important - only ~75% of the programs seems to work.

When they crash, they most of the times return to the "carousel".

Anyways, some important issues people report:

- somehow there's no possibility to set up the machine globally. One
has to set up machine each time to load next program.

- the same goes to resolution - there should be global setting to set it up
once and for all (in most cases - the highest resolution + Atari 130XE).

- supposedly there's no Reset and Help on the keyboard?

- the memory stick / thumb drive doesn't appear as the first icon
(like it is on A500 Mini) and one has to look for it on the carousel.

- sometimes Atari Mini "forgets" what was the last loaded file and one
has to search for it on the memory stick.

- There are indeed some serious troubles with correct keyboard mapping -
it's impossible at all to use Chaos Music Composer 3.0 (CMC).
Cursor keys behave wrongly. :( :( :( Supposedly the octave change should be done

with cursors + CONTROL but seems like the CONTROL is pressed permanently with the cursors...?

It prevents us from moving along the composition.

- Except the necessity to add possibility of
setting up the machine globally (same gfx config to all progs),
people after all complaining about resolution: not a lot of the screen is
visible. Whilst it's not _that_ much annoying on demos - still, it can
prevent the user from playing games requiring a full-screen view, not to
mention utilities.

I hope it helps.

I think RGL wants to keep the user interface as simple as possible so that people who didn't had an Atari can use it.
I would like to see an expert mode to be able to configure additional things.
Like PAL/NTSC switching for example.
- artifacting
- screen resolution
etc.

Edited by atarimonster

1 hour ago, atarimonster said:

I think RGL wants to keep the user interface as simple as possible so that people who didn't had an Atari can use it.
I would like to see an expert mode to be able to configure additional things.
Like PAL/NTSC switching for example.
- artifacting
- screen resolution
etc.

The A500 Mini has toggle-able "Advanced" options, so hopefully they can do something similar here.

I would advise everyone to send all these suggestions to support[at]retrogames.biz when you have a moment, otherwise you're just shouting into a void. :) 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, yerzmyey said:

I have a lot of fun with the new Atari clone, both with games & demos. What's important - only ~75% of the programs seems to work.  When they crash, they most of the times return to the "carousel".

I'm not seeing this.  As long as I'm using either 130XE or 800XL compatibility (not the default of the older 800), about 95% or more run fine.

If you are indeed using XE/XL, then I humbly suggest that some of your files are corrupted.  Try searching for Homesoft Collection...

24 minutes ago, LS650 said:

I'm not seeing this.  As long as I'm using either 130XE or 800XL compatibility (not the default of the older 800), about 95% or more run fine.

If you are indeed using XE/XL, then I humbly suggest that some of your files are corrupted.  Try searching for Homesoft Collection...

After consideration I tend to agree then; well - maybe still not 95% but Your're right, the amount of working soft is _vast_.

PS: Just to specify, as non-corrupted files I regard files that normally work on emulators on PC and on classic hardware of Atari XL/XE.

Meanwhile - other two update suggestions collected from people:

- adding 320Kb RAMBO memory

- adding two Pokey chips (so-called "stereo")

Edited by yerzmyey

1 hour ago, pjedavison said:

I would advise everyone to send all these suggestions to support[at]retrogames.biz when you have a moment, otherwise you're just shouting into a void. :) 

This.

It's not like I heard from them when I emailed support about issues - but they certainly aren't reading or engaging on this forum.  So if you don't tell them directly, chances are they aren't going to ever hear it.

1 hour ago, pjedavison said:

I sent that address an email a few days ago with some polite suggestions, but I don't expect to get any response.  

Hopefully someone is actually reading those emails.

Favourites added to carousel from USB Drive games that have been saved and game favourite get remove if game is removed from USB Drive.
Ring buttons disabled in game only, and menu and home buttons work only and menu button to start the game, if you need other keys then use virtual keyboard for options keys and that or use USB Keyboard so no need to have real buttons for them, the ring buttons are only needed in the carousel to operate it.

Edited by Spanner

I'd like arrow keys added to the Keyboard shown on the 'Map Controls' screen, you need the right arrow to increase thrust and lift off from Fractalus after picking up a pilot. As it is you have to bring up the virtual keboard during play, which is a bit of an annoyance.

One problem with the carousel is the way RGL added Media Access to it as a Game Slot, so they made it part of the carousel so they be no way of them running it as a Classic Mode like on THEC64, Media Access on that is part of Basic Mode so not part of Carousel Mode, RGL would have redesign the whole carousel to make a Classic Mode.

I like the way they made the carousel on THEC64 where Media Access is separate and is not a Game Slot on the Carousel, plus it takes up a Game Slot and only one game can be a favourite in USB Media Access so not point to adding one as a favourite, RGL should of added it as a USB Icon(they could use the same icon just make it smaller) on the bottom bar instead because its a option so a feature(so should not be part of the carousel and it stops you doing other stuff with Media Access in the future, you should always think of the future when you make something and make it easy to change if you need too), so like, there is space for one more item on the bottom bar:

`(Down) Save Games` `(Menu) Options` `(Rleft) Favourites` `(RRight) Sort` `(TOP)RUp) USB Media Access` `(F) Start Game`     `THE400 Mini (logo)`

Thinking why RGL added USB MA as a Game Slot, I did use the Info Game Slot, They let you know what carousel gamelist your on, on THEC64 in PCUAE(you can add your own games to the carousel on THEC64 in PCUAE) so when you highlight it and press on it, it loads up Classic Mode so you can load Media Access easier so it very similar so maybe why they added USB Media Access as a Game Slot on THEA500 Mini, they do take ideas from it, like Joystick Port Swapping, Favourites, Modes, I am glad they do... :) .

Edited by Spanner

Favourites in PCUAE on THEC64 has its own carousel gamelist so its not part of the main carousel gamelist, its so you can make your own list of favourite games that you want in the favourite carousel gamelist, I created it because I wanted certain games in it that I liked more then other games, in PCUAE Manager you can make 10 favourite gamelists if you want too so `Favourite 1, Favourite 2, Favourite 3....and so on up to... Favourite 10 but that because you can add more games and the games in the carousel it can show is up to 255 games per carousel gamelist and that all gamelists`... :)

RGL could make it so Favourites has its own gamelist but the problem is you can not add any more games to the carousel so no point too, do not see the point of have favourites at the moment anyway its just sorts the gamelist that never changes because it only has 25 games on it, it need more games for favourites to work but that can be sorted if they add Favourite games from USB Game Saves made from USB Media Access Games so be able to add your own games to the carousel then and the carousel will be used more then too, that the whole point of having the carousel, too use it so not for Display Purposes only(not to make the console look nice, it meant to be a selling point).
I say use USB Game Saves from USB Media Access Games because they make a screenshot of the game as a png file when it save the game that can be used as a cover in the Favourite Game Slot on the carousel, this way you do not need to make a generic cover png file to use in each Favourite Game Slot the carousel creates.

RGL could add the name of the Favourite game to what the image.atr is named so what the save is connected to so if it called `Space Invaders.atr` then its tittle is called `Space Invaders` and then under it, it could say `Favourite game 1, save from USB Media Access Games so like:

Space Invaders
Favourite game 1, save from USB Media Access Games

and each Favourite would change like:
Favourite game 1, save from USB Media Access Games... Favourite game 2, save from USB Media Access Games... Favourite game 3, save from USB Media Access Games and so on with every one you make.
They would probably word it better then me, just so ideas... :)

Edited by Spanner

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

to summarize the keyboard mapping issues (already sent to RGL), that make using the computer impossible - in utility programs as well as in BASIC.

Supposedly entering a new line in BASIC, with Shift + Insert doesn't work. 

Like I mentioned before, the Cursor keys work wrongly: arrows should work
along with Control and they work without it - often it renders using tools
impossible.

Ctrl doesn't work, they say. 

As well as the previously mentioned Reset and Help.
  • Like 1