IGNORED

HSC21 Round 6: PinHead

PinHead

Nice game "and some of the best music ever" :ponder: - music so good you can turn it off with S or something but then the game is a bit hollow :!:

Practice moving L/R into the balloon and then kicking it back up and please "Don't Kick the Bucket" as you are all needed here :D

image.png.44695b486c63092fe954410e59012673.png

https://a8.fandal.cz/detail.php?files_id=2600

atarimania has COM file and instructions plus a nice write up on the game :thumbsup:

fandal has XEX

atarionline.pl has XEX and ATRs

Round closes 10am Sunday 5th May - we can wrap it up sooner if we have all had enough after a week or so ;)

HAVE FUN!

• Like 2

Quick controls check: Is there any way to move faster?  I keep getting killed on later levels where multiple balloons drop at once.  Not sure if it's just bad RNG or what, but sometimes they drop from both sides at roughly the same time, which seems impossible unless I'm doing something wrong.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, rdrunner said:

Quick controls check: Is there any way to move faster?  I keep getting killed on later levels where multiple balloons drop at once.  Not sure if it's just bad RNG or what, but sometimes they drop from both sides at roughly the same time, which seems impossible unless I'm doing something wrong.

It does seem impossible sometimes when the balloons drop on either side of the screen at the same time. 

On 4/25/2024 at 3:37 AM, littleman jack said:

I played on an emulator. Wish I still had it on a disk to play on my real Atari 800. But for now, my linux laptop will do.

Get that Atari hardware back ;)

On 4/25/2024 at 8:00 AM, McKong said:

It does seem impossible sometimes when the balloons drop on either side of the screen at the same time. 

Yes just a feature of the game, you can sometimes kick one back up and dash across for the other but sometimes you are stuffed :!:

first tables

PinHead        
  Player   Score   Points
1st McKong   134,270   12
2nd therealbountybob   76,070   11
3rd AtariSphinx   24,090   10
4th Sikor   11,640   9
5th devwebcl   9,570   8
6th carlsson   7,675   7
7th littleman jack   5,570   6
8th Goochman   2,775   5

The R7 McKong Poll is open:

https://forums.atariage.com/topic/365551-hsc21-round-7-poll/

:)

• Like 1

On 4/25/2024 at 3:00 AM, McKong said:

Gotcha.  Well at least you get 5 lives (plus bonuses) to compensate for bad luck.  Thanks!

13 minutes ago, rdrunner said:

Gotcha.  Well at least you get 5 lives (plus bonuses) to compensate for bad luck.  Thanks!

I was presuming that you know that you can kick the balloons up in the air if you don't quite get there in time

1 hour ago, McKong said:

I was presuming that you know that you can kick the balloons up in the air if you don't quite get there in time

Yup, I knew about the kicking.  It has a rather short range, but it's effective with practice.

I've seen people play Kickman in the arcades, but never tried it.  Not sure how it compares other than the Pac-Man references like @carlsson mentioned.

From what I understand, Midway first released Kick without references to Pac-Man. Then that game became popular, and they figured they held at least the North American rights to the character and added it to the game, to make it Kick-Man. Since it wasn't really a Pac-Man sequel, probably Namco didn't care all that much.

• Like 2

Finally got a lucky enough run where nothing bad happened on the first couple of multi-drop stages.  It eventually catches up with you though.

One time I had probably the worst break possible: Blue (fastest) balloon from leftmost column, bucket from rightmost a split second later.  Uh, nope.  :)

image.thumb.png.6850f43616ddef2b7daf0bf559f60ae7.png

• Like 2