IGNORED

Sears Video Arcade II

Dolt

I recently picked up a Video Arcade II; I love that pseudo-5200 styling. Anyway, I only got around to really taking a look at it this weekend. I finally noticed that (duh) it didn't come with the right power cord. Accordingly, does anyone know what I'd need to pick up at Radio Shack in order to get this thing running again?

And of much lesser importance, how much do these typically go for? Just curious for my own edification, not for ebay purposes.

Clive

The Sears Video Arcade II is really an Atari 7800. Therefore, the power jack is a little different. (i.e. not the standard 1/8" phono plug). On my 7800, I didn't have the proper power adapter either, so I just opened up the machine, and unsoldered the original jack, and soldered in an 1/8" phono jack, so I can use a standard 2600 power supply. Be careful though, when running in 7800 mode, the 7800 will draw a little more current, so it could potentially burn out a 2600 supply. I use a higher rated supply that I modified to have a different connector.

Ian Primus

ian_primus@yahoo.com

That's right, it's a 2600, NOT a 7800.

If it's like my 2800 (which I believe it is), then it requires something like 7V *AC* or something weird.

However, for reasons best known to Atari, the 2800 works perfectly with *DC* current. I power mine using 9V, centre positive, i.e.

- (. +

although of course as it's expecting AC the polarity doesn`t matter. I prefer to keep things standard though, hence the same polarity as the 2600.

Of course, YMMV and if you blow up your machine it's not my fault, I can only say it works here. :)

Gah. Brain fart. For some reason I was thinking it was. I don't know why though... My bad.

That's okay. It's probably that sneaky 7800 camouflage. :) I'm trying to find out the exact PS requirements.

edit: Okay, it's apparently a 10VAC coaxial supply. I'd just try an Atari 400/800/810/1050 supply.

-Bry

I recently picked up a Video Arcade II; I love that pseudo-5200 styling. Anyway, I only got around to really taking a look at it this weekend. I finally noticed that (duh) it didn't come with the right power cord. Accordingly, does anyone know what I'd need to pick up at Radio Shack in order to get this thing running again?

And of much lesser importance, how much do these typically go for? Just curious for my own edification, not for ebay purposes.

Clive

I had the same problem. After researching it for a while, I found that the Atari 5200 power supply (actually there were two of them for the two port or four port) is a direct replacement for the power supply for the Sears II. I actually believe the Sears II came with a standard 5200 power supply with the Atari logo on it.

Here's one up for auction at Ebay. I don't know this seller, but there is another guy selling new ones that a ton of people, including myself, have had major shipping and honesty problems with in the past. Stay away from the guy wit the ones for the $9.99 buy it now prices. Any other questions about this guy or the 5200 supply, PM me.