IGNORED

How's the thrifting scene in Minneapolis?

Room 34

Hey guys... as you may know from various references in my posts over the past couple of months, I'm moving (back) to Minneapolis at the end of the year.

Now, you'd think since I lived there before, I'd know what the "scene" is like there, but unfortunately I don't. I have been at least a passive collector since the '80s, but I didn't get serious until I moved to Atlanta (which is not exactly collectors' paradise). So I never really checked things out in Minneapolis.

So here's what I want to know:

1. Are thrift store finds common, or even possible, in the Twin Cities? If so, what are the good places; if not, what are the alternatives (i.e. flea markets)?

2. What are the best places to go for arcade machines, etc.? I have seen Game Room Gallery in Burnsville while driving on 35W. Is that good? Anyplace else?

Thanks!

I can't really compare to anything, but I can tell you where I go to get some things every so often. The trift I go to is Savers, a VV chain at 494 and Penn (best find: NES top loader for $5, wish those deals came more often). There is also a gameshop called discland at 98th street and 35W. They have almost any system you want, from pong to SNES to lynx (sometimes) to PS2 at decent prices. There aren't very many flea markets, at least I haven't seen any. I don't know about anyplace good for arcades unfortunately besides Chuck E. Cheese (but then again, that was started by Nolan Bushnell, so it can't be too terrible)

There is a huge indoor flea market South of St.Paul in Hastings...and a pretty big one in my hometown area (the apple orchard in Monticello). Check this listing:

http://www.fleamarketguide.com/mn.htm

Arcade distributors probably offer the best "no risk" machines. Lieberman Music Company in Mpls. handled some...but I think that a number of them are located 20 min. away in Wisconsin. Classified ads in the Star/Trib routinely have arcade games for sale by individuals in the Metro area.

Hmmm... well I see they have an Asteroids cocktail table for sale right now at about the same price I paid for mine at auction. I wonder what condition it's in.

That Xevious for $399 is HIGHLY tempting... but it must be hacked up to be going that cheap.

:| :ponder:

Possibly...but if it's only minor cosmetic damage, that should be easily remedied. They state that all their equipment is in 100% working order.

Perhaps contact them for a pic or something.

http://www.nwcoinmachine.com/ in Wisconsin also claims to have a number of machines, but they don't give details on the site :P

I don't know about anyplace good for arcades unfortunately besides Chuck E. Cheese....

:D

I'm not talking about arcades... I'm talking about places to buy arcade machines!

Guess I can't help you there. Sorry.

@ Nukey Shay: Have you ever been to discland before?

Also, I just realized that I mistyped the adress of discland, it's at 98th and 35W, I'll correct that soon, but I gotta go and stuff

I can't really compare to anything, but I can tell you where I go to get some things every so often.  The trift I go to is Savers, a VV chain at 494 and Penn (best find: NES top loader for $5, wish those deals came more often).  )

I go there all the time. You must be that "sumguy" who got there first! :-)

There is also a gameshop called discland at 98th street and 35W.  They have almost any system you want, from pong to SNES to lynx (sometimes) to PS2 at decent prices.  

This is my favorite place to go. I traded a whole slew of my doubles and extras to em for a couple hundred in store credit. If you go there now, the Commodore64, Vic20 in the box on the top shelf, the Jaguar on the top shelf, the Atari800 are all from me. I had a couple of 2600's, but those actually sold pretty quick.

I meant Arcade Machines to Buy!  Damn it!  

Ok, I said paraphrased liberally! :D I was at a Goodwill in Apple Valley, and they had an Elevator Action Machine for $50.00!!! Shoulda jumped on that! Oh well, at least "sumguy" got it.

Buck (from up dere in MN, too, don'cha know!)

edit: corrected spelling error. Probably missed one or two thers. Oh well.

I am in Lakeville. Just south of Apple Valley. I swing into DiscLand on my way home from work quite a bit.

There is another place I forgot to mention. Hot Comics and Collectables in Richfield. Kitty-Corner from "The Hub" on Nicollet and 66th. They have a few classic games and whatnot as well.

@spongebue - Where are you at? You seem to know the south side stuff more than the north same as me.

Later

Buck

I'm in Bloomington, so I can see why I would know the area. :) Are you talking about that place that says "Buy Sell Trade" but doesn't have a name for the place? (last time I was there at least... I only go there after the dentist somewhat nearby) If it is, that is the only other non-gamestop based store I really know of