IGNORED

Now I've done it...

7 minutes ago, Beeblebrox said:

Incognito's inbuilt side2 loader which allows XEX and ATRs to load really quickly via CF based PBI HDD.

The only thing really lacking is SIDE3 functionality, which would be nice. I'm not sure if they plan to change that or if there's some technical reason why it's not possible; but adding cartridge loading would bring it up to current standards.

5 minutes ago, MrFish said:

The only thing really lacking is SIDE3 functionality, which would be nice. I'm not sure if they plan to change that or if there's some technical reason why it's not possible; but adding cartridge loading would bring it up to current standards.

Yes, I believe next Incognito upgrade for the 800 which has been in the pipeline (in development for many years and  - with any luck we might see in the next few years) plans to have Side3 car mounting functionality as well as a lot more. (That is for the likes of Candle to confirm).

Incognito is 2010/12 tech and I believe it doesn't have enough onboard RAM and/or subsequently of course Bios support to be able to offer CAR/BIN/ROM mounting support. Makes sense really. SIDE3 tech came out in the last 5 years maybe(?), and it has far more onboard ram and car supporting tech.

I am sure there is a post on AA where Jon explains why Incognito can't support CAR mounting. 

Posted (edited)

Incognito has 1.5MB of RAM (up to 64K base RAM, PBI RAM, and up to 1MB of extended memory), so while emulation of small cartridges might theoretically be possible, there's almost certainly no room or not enough room left on the CPLD to accomplish this.

Incognito 3 (Incognito 2 having silently been and gone) will effectively be U1MB/SIDE3 on one card, with 2/4/8MB of SRAM plus the legacy compatibility (Colleen) mode. Apparently my not having written the firmware yet is instrumental in the delays, although since I don't yet have an Incognito 3 board, I am busily pressing X to doubt. :) I do have a prototype Incognoto Lite here (for the 400), but no clue what CPLD code is flashed to it, no documentary description of the memory/register map, and attempts to discuss same and arrive at a firmware design that supports the feature set I have in mind have so far resulted in nothing whatsover. I'm sure I'll be contacted at some point, however, and told that the firmware needs to be written in the space of a couple of months, as usual. :D

Edited by flashjazzcat
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, flashjazzcat said:

Incognito has 1.5MB of RAM (up to 64K base RAM, PBI RAM, and up to 1MB of extended memory), so while emulation of small cartridges might theoretically be possible, there's almost certainly no room or not enough room left on the CPLD to accomplish this.

Incognito 3 (Incognito 2 having silently been and gone) will effectively be U1MB/SIDE3 on one card, with 2/4/8MB of SRAM plus the legacy compatibility (Colleen) mode. Apparently my not having written the firmware yet is instrumental in the delays, although since I don't yet have an Incognito 3 board, I am busily pressing X to doubt. :) I do have a prototype Incognoto Lite here (for the 400), but no clue what CPLD code is flashed to it, no documentary description of the memory/register map, and attempts to discuss same and arrive at a firmware design that supports the feature set I have in mind have so far resulted in nothing whatsover. I'm sure I'll be contacted at some point, however, and told that the firmware needs to be written in the space of a couple of months, as usual. :D

Sounds a lot like my conversations at work.....

• Like 1

Congratulations, just saw this! You got a good price - $200 seems about right for the 800 (easily my favourite Atari 8-bit). I paid around $500 Australian, they are much more uncommon here and cost of shipping brings just about any US 800 into that range.

On 5/12/2024 at 5:25 PM, _The Doctor__ said:

DarkLord, does this take you back to DarkChild?

Nah, that one's taken now. My son uses it for most of his gaming "alter ego's and characters.  :)

PS And it was "DarkChyld"...

2 hours ago, Tillek said:

Of course, none of you guys realize that as soon as his wife finds out he bought more Atari stuff, she's going to make him get rid of it. :P

I will cross that bridge and burn it down when I come to it...   :)

19 minutes ago, aeberbach said:

Congratulations, just saw this! You got a good price - $200 seems about right for the 800 (easily my favourite Atari 8-bit). I paid around $500 Australian, they are much more uncommon here and cost of shipping brings just about any US 800 into that range.

Thanks.  :)

20 minutes ago, DarkLord said:

Nah, that one's taken now. My son uses it for most of his gaming "alter ego's and characters.  :)

PS And it was "DarkChyld"...

Wow... as a III myself, I get the "named after dad" thing... but wow.... Epic kudos.

Of course, my dad's nickname with his friends was "Panda" apparently (after a cartoon character "Andy Panda"?)  So.... pass.

image.jpeg.079e9f3860d6e127c7879ef2c92fd5d9.jpeg

Then again......

image.thumb.jpeg.3b85ee804b1ba8316b9ef633ecf3be58.jpeg

Maybe I should rethink whether my dad was a badass after all....?

• Haha 3

47 minutes ago, DarkLord said:

Hahahaha, I do like the last image...  :)

The funny thing was that wasn't even planned.  I was looking for images of Andy Panda and that one came up (apparently from one of the cartoons where he takes on Mr. Moth...)