IGNORED

GTIA Modes 9, 10 & 11 + ANTIC data and color clocks

39 minutes ago, Cafeman said:

GTIA mode 10 has quad width pixels. Are the GTIA modes9 and 11 also pixels always quad width? Are they quad width even if using Gr 0 with a GtIA mode?

Yes - each pixel always requires 4-bits, hence the ability for 16 shades or colours.

Here's the well-known ship from one of Atari's demos, done in characters in Macro Edit and Graph2Font. It only takes a single character set to the define the graphics for it.

Macro Edit (Atari Native Application)

edmac.thumb.png.0da58e76a0dee9d240ec81f96f0d11ec.png

Graph2Font (PC Application)

g2fchars.thumb.png.e098c71ba95eb5f35a131042983a2a3b.png

g2f.thumb.png.24022f63427c2a813fe9131e5ee6adbc.png

ship.xex

• Like 2

Yeah, one big letdown with the robot demo is they used the crappy miscoloured straight PM exhaust - to do a proper animated effect like this wouldn't have taken a huge amount of extra effort.  Just define some masks and run random numbers through it rather than the straight up random stream they appeared to have used.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Rybags said:

Yeah, one big letdown with the robot demo is they used the crappy miscoloured straight PM exhaust - to do a proper animated effect like this wouldn't have taken a huge amount of extra effort.

Yeah, kind of a lame flame.

I think they were trying to go for the purple/blue-type flame; but the colors weren't quite there (plus they were only using two colors).

Here's more of a purple/blue-type flame, and one a little more red than the one posted above. [Note: All of these are done in NTSC colors. The one that's suppose to be purple/blue here looks a little strange if you run the executable on PAL.]

shipflameblue.thumb.png.9b91c72d5eeeb607f33c0845a1988697.png

shipflamered.thumb.png.00844ca2828d32f4a5a0f7dfcf90f57d.png

Ship & flame (blue).xex

Ship & flame (red).xex

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yes - blue flame tends to mean it's more efficient combustion where orange isn't.

Though I do suspect you'd get different results in space vs the atmosphere - plus regardless of that most rockets supply their own oxidant anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

I have used gtia modes in multiple game projects in quite different way, you can check and download from my signature below this post.

Light up! - black&white title screen tip image (alternating gtia9+gtia10 lines)

H3x0r deluxe - coloured title screen tip image (256 colors alternating gtia9,gtia11,gtia10,gtia11)

Quarrion - main game screen running in gtia10 (character mode)

Citron 3kg - main game screen running in gtia10 (bitmap mode)

Lasermania 2020 - in-game horizontal lines of colored frame in gtia11

• Like 1

2 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

notice GTIA 10, GTIA 11, and GTIA 9 respectively in order of effective utility.

I wouldn't say so.  When it came to viewing digitized images, particularly of the female type (maybe even without clothing to clutter the lo-res image) in my BBS days, the 16 shade GTIA mode 9 was by far the winner!

• Haha 1

GTIA 9, is definitely the photo-reproduction winner (if you're talking about pure GTIA modes).

I recently came up with this idea for poker, which uses GTIA 9, Antic 4, and Antic 2.

poker.thumb.png.93e239cf29675ff7ebf4e34b008ac535.png

BTW, the spaceship above is GTIA 9 too. The flames are PMG's.

• Like 8

On 9/21/2024 at 2:33 AM, MrFish said:

GTIA 9, is definitely the photo-reproduction winner (if you're talking about pure GTIA modes).

I recently came up with this idea for poker, which uses GTIA 9, Antic 4, and Antic 2.

poker.thumb.png.93e239cf29675ff7ebf4e34b008ac535.png

BTW, the spaceship above is GTIA 9 too. The flames are PMG's.

Wow! That looks really good!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, popmilo said:

Wow! That looks really good!

Thanks. I probably should have extended the girl's image to the top of the screen too, especially since I'm already using widescreen to include more of her horizontally. I didn't really notice it until now.

I like the fact that there are 3 totally different modes, each with their own purpose.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Cafeman said:

That image is stunning a couple questikns: 

Thanks. A couple of things about the image.

1. The GTIA portion was done quickly, and I left out one part of the conversion process. So, subsequently the image only uses 12 colors. I intended the image to use all 16; but, after seeing the quality was only slightly less, I just left it as is. The image was just intended as an example I posted in the RasterConverter thread, where someone was working on a conversion of the same image using that tool; and I was demonstrating how well it could be done in GTIA 9 by comparison.

2. The GTIA image could be further enhanced by use of PMGs. I may experiment and see about colorizing some of her clothing.

What tool do you use to convert an existing image into that type of GTIA- 9 image on the Atari bit?

I use Photoshop on the PC (Gimp, etc. could be used too) for initial sizing, contrast, brightness, color indexing, etc. Graph2Font is used for producing an executable. Graph2Font can also put out various other formats and portions of data that make up the imported image(s).

How many bytes does that image use? 

The GTIA 9 portion is 84 x 167 pixels (widescreen); so it uses 7,014 bytes.

Here's the XEX of the entire image. It's got a lot of different things going on, though. Everything is in character mode, there are a couple of small PMGs on the lower portion, and the file is using some kind of compression (an uncompressed version can be output too). It uses 7 character sets, total. Obviously this image could be produced by using bitmapped mode for the top portion too.

strip2.xex

• Like 3